Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 12 of 12

Thread: New Car Audio Junkie from Canada

  1. Back To Top    #11
    Goatherder SublimeZ's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Real Name
    James
    Location
    Deepinthehearta, TX
    Vehicle
    2012 GMC Sierra
    Posts
    1,401
    Join Date
    Feb 2013

    Re: New Car Audio Junkie from Canada


  2. Thanks Emediation thanked for this post
    Thumbs Up Hic gave this post Thumbs Up
  3. Back To Top    #12
    Noob Emediation's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Real Name
    Tim
    Location
    Ontario
    Vehicle
    2006 Ford Fusion SE V6
    Posts
    5
    Join Date
    Feb 2019

    Re: New Car Audio Junkie from Canada

    Hey all,

    Sorry for the delay in posting. Had a crazy busy weekend and was planning to upload as I went but that didn't happen. Anyways, I got started Friday night cleaning out my garage and pulling in the car in to stay out of the cold. My garage isn't heated, but at least it's out of the wind.

    Saturday turned out to be a fairly decent day, so at least it was above 0 Celsius in there when I was working lol.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190208_203521.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	2.99 MB 
ID:	6827
    And here we have her. The previously-unsuspecting-but-now-seriously-concerned victim. I installed the headunit and front door speakers before, so I kind of knew what all that looked like. Therefore I decided to start with the power wires. Initially I wanted to run one 0 gauge wire to the trunk, then a distribution block to wire off a 0 gauge and 8 gauge to the two amps. However, the dist block I got was a 0 gauge in but a 4 out, so the 0 gauge power cable for the memphis amp didn't find in the output. Sigh.

    Alright, new plan. Run two power cables from the battery to the trunk. Next problem I ran into was getting the firewall plug out. It was a tough SOB and the plastic was cold so that didn't help. After about an hour of fucking around with it I finally was able to pop it out. Then I drilled the middle out, ran the cables through, insulated the gaps, taped it up and threw it back in. So far so good.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190209_104205.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	6829

    After that it was just a matter of finding space for all the cables in the engine compartment. As you can see it's rather full, so I snaked them around and ended up putting the fuses in different locations.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190209_130252.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	3.22 MB 
ID:	6828

    After that all I did was remove the plastic flashing along the driver side of the vehicle. It's just held in with plastic clips that pop off. Yes, it was cold, and yes I definitely broke a few clips

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190209_132827.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	6830

    And voila! Two power cables in the trunk ready to make some bump. Time for some Dr. Who, a nice tea and some sleep!

    Sunday -

    Started on the audio cables. Two RCA's and two speaker wires plus the remote turn on. The plastic flashing came off on the passenger side a lot easier than the driver side.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190210_112521.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	6831

    I had a little help running the wires. The passage between the trunk and the backseats was tight, but my wife's little hands helped me snake it through. Hurray

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190210_150920.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	2.97 MB 
ID:	6832

    Now to connect the speaker wires... with the connectors I had available. Lol I definitely could've used some more of those posi-connect plastic bits. Ah well, electrical tape will do.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190210_120649.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	6833

    All hooked up and ready to go. I placed everything and connected it before mounting it... AND CREATED A CABLE MONSTER.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190210_172809.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	6834

    It's okay... I did some cable management and wired them under the carpet.

    Final result:

    I spent some time tuning but still have to tweak it a bit. My volume goes from 0 - 35 on the headunit, and I have it matched at 30 volume to the speaker amp's gain. However, it still sounds a little bit hollow on the top end, so I will tweak with the high and low pass filters and try and nail down the crossfade point.

    Please ignore the shit handiwork on the wood. There was an... issue with the left piece... it will be replaced with a proper support XD

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190210_200006.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	2.91 MB 
ID:	6835

    I still have to secure the cables down, and arrange the sub properly. Also, I am going to have to secure the 0 gauge wire into the amp better as it likes to pop out. It's very thick and cold wire and isn't very welcoming to being bent.

    Future upgrades:

    Wire speakers direct from amp to speakers instead of going through wire harness, as it currently is.
    Component speakers in front and move coax speakers to rear doors.
    Upgrade 2 channel speaker amp to 4 channel for the above improvement.

    Thank you to everyone for your help. Couldn't have done it without this website
    Last edited by Emediation; 02-12-2019 at 08:44 AM. Reason: add details

  4. Thumbs Up chithead gave this post Thumbs Up

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back To Top