Re: New Car Audio Junkie from Canada

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Tim
    Vehicle
    2006 Ford Fusion SE V6

Re: New Car Audio Junkie from Canada

Hey all,

Sorry for the delay in posting. Had a crazy busy weekend and was planning to upload as I went but that didn't happen. Anyways, I got started Friday night cleaning out my garage and pulling in the car in to stay out of the cold. My garage isn't heated, but at least it's out of the wind.

Saturday turned out to be a fairly decent day, so at least it was above 0 Celsius in there when I was working lol.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190208_203521.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	2.99 MB 
ID:	6827
    And here we have her. The previously-unsuspecting-but-now-seriously-concerned victim. I installed the headunit and front door speakers before, so I kind of knew what all that looked like. Therefore I decided to start with the power wires. Initially I wanted to run one 0 gauge wire to the trunk, then a distribution block to wire off a 0 gauge and 8 gauge to the two amps. However, the dist block I got was a 0 gauge in but a 4 out, so the 0 gauge power cable for the memphis amp didn't find in the output. Sigh.

Alright, new plan. Run two power cables from the battery to the trunk. Next problem I ran into was getting the firewall plug out. It was a tough SOB and the plastic was cold so that didn't help. After about an hour of fucking around with it I finally was able to pop it out. Then I drilled the middle out, ran the cables through, insulated the gaps, taped it up and threw it back in. So far so good.

Name:	20190209_104205.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	6829

After that it was just a matter of finding space for all the cables in the engine compartment. As you can see it's rather full, so I snaked them around and ended up putting the fuses in different locations.

Name:	20190209_130252.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	3.22 MB 
ID:	6828

After that all I did was remove the plastic flashing along the driver side of the vehicle. It's just held in with plastic clips that pop off. Yes, it was cold, and yes I definitely broke a few clips

Name:	20190209_132827.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	6830

And voila! Two power cables in the trunk ready to make some bump. Time for some Dr. Who, a nice tea and some sleep!

Sunday -

Started on the audio cables. Two RCA's and two speaker wires plus the remote turn on. The plastic flashing came off on the passenger side a lot easier than the driver side.

Name:	20190210_112521.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	6831

I had a little help running the wires. The passage between the trunk and the backseats was tight, but my wife's little hands helped me snake it through. Hurray

Name:	20190210_150920.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	2.97 MB 
ID:	6832

Now to connect the speaker wires... with the connectors I had available. Lol I definitely could've used some more of those posi-connect plastic bits. Ah well, electrical tape will do.

Name:	20190210_120649.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	6833

All hooked up and ready to go. I placed everything and connected it before mounting it... AND CREATED A CABLE MONSTER.

Name:	20190210_172809.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	6834

It's okay... I did some cable management and wired them under the carpet.

Final result:

I spent some time tuning but still have to tweak it a bit. My volume goes from 0 - 35 on the headunit, and I have it matched at 30 volume to the speaker amp's gain. However, it still sounds a little bit hollow on the top end, so I will tweak with the high and low pass filters and try and nail down the crossfade point.

Please ignore the shit handiwork on the wood. There was an... issue with the left piece... it will be replaced with a proper support XD

Name:	20190210_200006.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	2.91 MB 
ID:	6835

I still have to secure the cables down, and arrange the sub properly. Also, I am going to have to secure the 0 gauge wire into the amp better as it likes to pop out. It's very thick and cold wire and isn't very welcoming to being bent.

Future upgrades:

Wire speakers direct from amp to speakers instead of going through wire harness, as it currently is.
    Component speakers in front and move coax speakers to rear doors.
    Upgrade 2 channel speaker amp to 4 channel for the above improvement.

Thank you to everyone for your help. Couldn't have done it without this website
    Last edited by Emediation; 02-12-2019 at 08:44 AM. Reason: add details