Thread: Practice Machine

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Practice Machine

I just picked up this machine last weekend! This is going to be my “Menards, Lowe’s, Home Depot runnin’, rip out the nasty interior, and teach yourself how to fiberglass and install your own shit” truck. It’s a ‘94 GMC Sonoma extended cab, and it’s purple, lol! 100k on the clock, and made the 2.5 hour drive home without a problem. I think it needs a thermostat, and the air con compressor has been removed, but I’m hoping it will make my 1 block to work drive, and rare trips to box stores for carpentry supplies.

I know what you guys are thinking...why tear out a kick ass Boss DD HU and a powered Dual 10” sub, along with the one blown speaker that makes crackling sounds directly behind your head? Plus, getting rid of the coffee and what ever melted chocolate looking stained carpet, and the bucket seats that have been crushed by some monstrous sized humanoid, and the console that is sitting harmlessly in the center of the truck attached to nothing. I believe whomever owned the truck before me knew the next owner would want to install some stereo equipment, because they seem to have already begun the tearout of the dash and door cards.

If I’m feeling froggy, I may do a build log to show how little I really know about this hobby that I dig!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7E46167B-7E8C-441A-8C01-03F0679045AE.jpeg 
Views:	182 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	6758

Bobby K.
    Kenwood DDX9903S, Arc PS-8 w/PSC, Arc Audio 1200.6, Helix SPXL1000, Audiofrog GB12D4(2) IB, GB60, GB25, GB10

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Re: Practice Machine

I’m get flustered just trying to plan the equipment for this thing. I want it to be a simple system, but the more simple I try to make it, the more complicated it seems to be. Equipment I have: 2 JL 8w3v3-4 subs, Morel TiW634Ft midbass, Illusion C3CX w/xover.

Head Unit and amps TBD. I want it to be a simple system, but the C3CX seem to complicate things. I do have a pair of tweets to run 2-way if I have to (SB29RDC). I would love to run w/o a dsp if that’s possible. So, my questions/ needs are:

Double Din HU: CD, Bluetooth, front USB port, crossovers built-in

Amps: Can I run a 4 channel if I use the passive crossovers w/ C3CX’s (Mfr. suggest high pass electronic filter at 250, 18 slope) in addition to the passive xover.

Need at least 600w @ 2 ohms for subs...

Would JL 450/4 and 500/1 slash amps be enough for this?
    Can I find a Head Unit to cross my midbass correctly?
    Should I do an external crossover piece?
    Should I ditch the Illusions, and do simple 2-way w/a big 5 or 6 channel?

Any thoughts, ideas, help would be appreciated! I actually have an Arc XDi600.4 and XDi1100.1 that I was going to put in the Camaro, but I could leave it as is for now and use them...
    Kenwood DDX9903S, Arc PS-8 w/PSC, Arc Audio 1200.6, Helix SPXL1000, Audiofrog GB12D4(2) IB, GB60, GB25, GB10