Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help deciding which truck to build

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Mark
    Vehicle
    2015 Silverado RCSB

Need help deciding which truck to build

Ok I know it should never matter what other people think and we should always do what we want but I'm looking to get some opinions on what you would do. I recently retired from the military and I have time to get back into the hobby, and I like to compete when I can. I currently own 2 Silverados, 1 is a 2015 regular cab and the other is a 2002 Extended cab.

Some of you that have been here a while may remember my 2002 Silverado, it has been heavily customized and I competed with it heavily in 2012/2013. In 2015 I parked it due to not having time to work on it and bought a new Silverado as my DD. I have recently pulled it out of the garage and got it running with the intent of selling it, but now I am reconsidering. Here is the truck in 2012.

My other Silverado is a 2015 regular cab short bed 2LT, it is essentially as loaded as you can get a regular cab. I put a light system in it in 2016 to make my commute better, basic prefab box some amps and replaced factory speakers. Here is the truck in 2016.

What I am trying to do is decide which truck I want to invest time into for a full build or rebuild. If i chose the new truck to build i will sell the old truck, if i chose the old truck the new truck will maintain DD duties with a small system.

I need to keep the new black truck fully functional including the bed so i am limited in mods, additionally it only has 18K on the odometer so i am hesitant to do much for mods to the truck.

The older blue truck however is paid for and i can do whatever i want to it, including a blow thru something I have always wanted to do. I don't really need the money for the truck, I'm guessing I could get 7-10K for it if I sold it. It has a few scratches in it now and is just a bit stale to me now, I want something that can be appreciated by everyone when I take it to a show or drive it around. I am considering repainting the truck camoflage, like military grade paintjob not some stylized camo, just for fun and using it as a discussion tool to support the military at events.

What would you guys do, sell the older truck and build a mild system in the new truck or keep the older truck and go crazy with it. Just looking for opinions, thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Re: Need help deciding which truck to build

Keep older truck, go crazy. Especially as a support/tribute to our military.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Mark
    Vehicle
    2015 Silverado RCSB

Quote Originally Posted by chithead View Post
    Keep older truck, go crazy. Especially as a support/tribute to our military.
    Thanks for the input. Here is a picture of what I was thinking.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

As much as I love the clean look of single cab trucks there's really not a lot you can do to them short of cutting the cab...well at least not on Ford or GM single cab. I'd keep the extended cab and go nuts. And put some different rims on it
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Thanks for the input. Here is a picture of what I was thinking.

Not a huge fan of this paint scheme. Around here, all the old trucks that have been converted to duck/goose/deer hunting trucks are painted like that. I do dig the digital camo-type patterns. That is simply my opinion on paint, but I think it’s awesome what you are planning!!!
    Kenwood DDX9903S, Arc PS-8 w/PSC, Arc Audio 1200.6, Helix SPXL1000, Audiofrog GB12D4(2) IB, GB60, GB25, GB10

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Jim
    Vehicle
    2011 Dodge Challenger

Since you are limited on the single cab, I'd go nuts on the extended cab. I understand the stale feeling, but if you are wanting to go nuts on a build that truck is the perfect blank canvas. The stance is perfect and having the handles gone is a nice touch. I would freshen up the rims as well.
    Current System:

Headunit: Clarion CZ702
    Highs/Mids: PPI S.65 Tweets, Crunch CS35 3.5 (crossed passively on high out of deck)
    Midbass: CT Sounds Meso Pro 6.5 (crossed actively using mid out on deck)
    Sub: Sundown Audio EV3 12 D2
    Amp 1: RF r250.4 - Highs/Mids
    Amp 2: Pioneer GM-D8601 Sub @ 1 ohm
    T line enclosre

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Mark
    Vehicle
    2015 Silverado RCSB

Thise rims are long gone, it has factory 20s on it right now, however if I can find the money I want Detroit steel rally wheels on it.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Mark
    Vehicle
    2015 Silverado RCSB

Quote Originally Posted by beak81champ View Post
    Not a huge fan of this paint scheme. Around here, all the old trucks that have been converted to duck/goose/deer hunting trucks are painted like that. I do dig the digital camo-type patterns. That is simply my opinion on paint, but I think it’s awesome what you are planning!!!

Here's a better example of the paint job I was thinking.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Name:  6F83A0E3-9B59-44F0-B2D7-60361743FA60.jpeg
Views: 199
Size:  22.7 KB
    Kenwood DDX9903S, Arc PS-8 w/PSC, Arc Audio 1200.6, Helix SPXL1000, Audiofrog GB12D4(2) IB, GB60, GB25, GB10

10. Back To Top    #10

rally wheels or even wide steelies painted that color with digital camo would be nice