Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Ram Tradesman/Express build log

1. Back To Top    #31
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Re: 2016 Ram Tradesman/Express build log

Today I sealed the sub box up, tapped in and wired binding posts, and carpeted the box and lid for the amp rack. I used 3m Super 77 spray adhesive. Fair warning...I'm way out of practice when it comes to carpeting. It's purely for function and don't intend to show it off at all. Coulda done a better job but perfect seams aren't on my priority list with this build. I better buckle down on tuning because a week from the time of this post I'll be on my way to Alabama for Al's yearly gathering. How it sounds is most important to me. That's what's so nice about single cab trucks. You can hide a lot of sins behind those seats. Also finally got the correct dash mat. Meant to get a picture but was in a hurry to get in the house for some govt work and forgot to take my phone back out when closing up the shop.

They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

2. Back To Top    #32
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Looks great, Chris!

3. Back To Top    #33
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Subwoofer is in and booming. Got a nice deep and clean tone to it. It's obvious why a lot of people don't like the sound of the Dayton Reference subs. I had one several years ago and hated it but my basshead days are pretty much over. For the money I don't think it can be beat for straight-up sq. And by ear it's fairly flat from 30-80hz in the cab of my truck. Falls on its face below 30 but I don't expect to get near subsonic bass in a single cab truck. No HUGE peak like I had to deal with in the Grand Cherokee. That was a vehicle specific problem though. It does help that the sealed f3 of the HO10d4 is around 41hz iirc. I have mine in roughly half a cube with polyfil. Also did some tuning yesterday. I think it's coming along OK but still needs a lot of work. Really needs some more experienced ears in there to pick it apart. The midbasses were a wrestling match. Some stuff wouldn't respond well to eq but would respond to an allpass filter.

PICS COMING SOON!
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

4. Back To Top    #34
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Got the sub mounted a few days ago and finally got a pic of the Cover King velour mat. I carpeted the wrong 37.5" long piece of mdf so it won't be used on the rack. Since there's no guarantee this rack will stay I'm not going to carpet another piece for it. The master plan is to get a second rd900/5 and second Dayton 10". I've grown quite fond of the deep hard hitting tone it has. Then put the Zapco ST-4x sq in the closet for backup. There would be an rd900/5 for each side. Really is an impressive 5ch amp. Not sure if I'd be better off having a sub in each cab corner or have the pair together with flanges basically touching to make them function more as one unit. I prefer symmetrical installs but not married to the idea so if having the pair mounted basically touching each other would give better results I'll do that instead. I do have some install issues to address but overall I'm pretty happy with how the system as a whole sounds. It could be better but it could also be way worse too. Anyway, this install journey has pretty much come to an end until I decide for sure which way I want to go from here. I'm fully aware of the fact that I've just thrown some stuff together and it's not as cosmetically pleasing as it should be. Knowing good and will my first install in a vehicle never stays put I knew making things pretty would be a big waste of time. Once I decide what needs to change and what's working good for me the more permanent built will happen behind the seats. I do need to vent the pvc endcaps a little more because I am choking off the gb25's a little I think. That piece of mdf behind the seats for everything to sit on and be secured to was my best idea for this build I think. Gives the sub a nice place to properly load too.

5. Back To Top    #35

i think sharp dressed man is probably one of their best, especially the ending as it fades out.

6. Back To Top    #36
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Nice work, Mr. Chris!
    Kenwood DDX9903S, Arc PS-8 w/PSC, Arc Audio 1200.6, Helix SPXL1000, Audiofrog GB12D4(2) IB, GB60, GB25, GB10

7. Back To Top    #37
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

So, this is what happens when I try to dial in tonality by ear after listening to a jacked up response from a basically untuned system for a few weeks. I get used to said jackery and mess up royally. A well trained squirrel gets in and says "yours needs work!" 800-4000 give or take a little was described as a wave. Bass rolled off pretty bad. Maybe I was tired? Maybe I was clogged up? Who knows wtf I was hearing and/or thinking when this happened. Anyway, the green line is before and the burgundy line is after. I got it a little smoother after this but forgot to screenshot it. It does sound way fuller obviously. I had to break some tuning rules to get the bass up. Makes me wonder if the transfer function of a single cab truck just won't let the really low bass happen without a fight. Have no idea why my mic goes stupid when measuring a subwoofer tucked away in the depths of hell. Anyway, it's way flatter from 25-80 than it was. Next project will be to address an install issue with the gb25's resonating the factory grille when crossed below 800hz. Maybe if I can successfully cross them around 500ish my vocals will tighten up.

8. Back To Top    #38

Glad you didn't just write me off as being crazy. And glad the feedback was helpful in the end.

I gotta say, the low end response looks very, very odd. I'm used to seeing some peaks/dips but that looks like a textbook comb filter. Maybe I'm wrong... wouldn't be the 12th time.
    -- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
    https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/

9. Back To Top    #39
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

My mic has always measured like that on the low end. Guess I could at some point put the mic right up to the subwoofer and see what happens. If it's not raining I'll go outside and flip the sub over to upfire and see what happens.

10. Back To Top    #40