Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moron here, wondering if I can be enlightened

1. Back To Top    #1

Moron here, wondering if I can be enlightened

Hi, I have a question. I'm a complete noob when it comes to car audio. I bought a car that was already wired and had a sub, an amp and a eq unit (I think that's what it is). The problem is, the sub was old and moved on to a better place recently. So, I bought another sub. A 1000 watt, 2ohm kicker from best buy. Now, my old sub was a 12inch 4ohm Kenwood. I'm not sure if this is the problem itself, seeing as the impedance of the Kenwood is higher than the kicker. Maybe my system is set up that way. I'm not sure. Anyway, I wired up the Kicker. I had to cut the wires because the kicker needs open wires to hook up and the wires were set up with these "boot's", if that's what they're called, to hook up to my old Kenwood. I rewired, checked to make sure they were set up properly, and hooked them up. No sound. Rewired again. No sound. And again with no sound. So I'm guessing it has something to do with the impedance of the woofer, but that's just a shot in the dark coming from me. Any help with this? I'd appreciate any feedback. Thank you in advance.

Edit: Just to clarify what I have as far as amps and stuff go, I have a American Pro Bass Machine that's 600watts. The eq unit I can't remember off the top of my head. And a Kenwood deck, if that helps any.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

Re: Moron here, wondering if I can be enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow View Post
    the sub was old and moved on to a better place recently.

Did you test it, or just assume it was sub when bass stopped?

3. Back To Top    #3

I tested it the only way I knew how. It had to be pushed in to work. Sometimes it would work perfectly when I pushed it in but eventually it would just stop.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

amp model number?

5. Back To Top    #5

Couldn’t find much info on that amp, but if it’s the same as this eBay amp, it is not rated to be bridged to a 2 ohm sub.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/American-Pr...-/362407062559

TomT

6. Back To Top    #6

I can post some pictures tomorrow of the amp. Where I am, it's almost midnight. Lol I don't have the model number off the top of my head.

And nope, that's not the one. I'm guessing what I have is pretty old. It's a small, red one but that's all I know.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

like this? https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/4GAAA...E0F/s-l640.jpg

if so, on rca end there is a light for power and one for protection. note if one or both are lit when system is turned on

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/cv4AA...E0N/s-l500.jpg

8. Back To Top    #8

Real Name
    Glenn (GLN305)
    Vehicle
    1996 Dodge Dakota Reg Cab

With a few quick Google searches just using the brand name of the amp and wattage listed, you may be dealing with a 2-channel amplifier. If that is the case a 2-oh subwoofer's impedance will be too low for that amp to function when bridged, as I assume it was when running a 4-ohm subwoofer. Is your Kicker a single 2-ohm, subwoofer or dual 2-ohm subwoofer? Model numbers for both amp and sub will help immensely.
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
    -Albert Einstein

9. Back To Top    #9

It's the same model but it is a 2 channel amp. I'm not sure if it has a protection light, but I know for sure that the power light was on.

And you're right, I have a 2 channel amp that was running a 4 ohm subwoofer.

The model number for the amp is V.5.1222. I think, that's what was on the face of the amp.

The model number for the sub woofer, I believe, is 43CWR122. That's just what's on the box. But it is a CompR 12inch Kicker. All I know is that it says 2 ohm on the magnet.

Edit: If necessary, I can post pictures of both.

10. Back To Top    #10

I made a mistake. The amp's model number is V.S.1222. My bad, read it wrong.