Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: F150 3 way front

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Re: F150 3 way front

That definitely is a listener preference there. I've had success with rear speakers, HillBillySQ has had success with rear speakers, and Erin has offered the best advice I've ever read on how to tune rear speakers. Most people will not run them, as it's just another level of tuning that can already complicate everything else going on. The simplest setup I've ever used with rear speakers though, was a comps set up front, coax in rear, and delayed the rear speakers a LOT. It was quite magical, VERY enjoyable for daily listening. In an SQ comp though, I'm sure they would have ripped that thing apart with criticism.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Mack
    Vehicle
    05 F150 Fx4

I do understand that rear fill is a preference. I guess my concern can a DSP process the rear fill enough to allow a speaker that is basically below the listeners ear to serve as rear fill.

3. Back To Top    #13
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Oh absolutely. Some DSP can actually process the L-R that you really need to make it super successful, and some have the lengthy delay needed to make it even better. Long as you can attenuate the volume down enough and delay it quite a bit, you can still make rear fill pretty successful.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Mack
    Vehicle
    05 F150 Fx4

Thanks, that is what I am looking for, was concerned due to my proximity with the rears.

5. Back To Top    #15
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

You'd have to pull the level of the rears down A LOT and set them up where the mono information is cancelled out only leaving left and right cues (L-R) whether it be in the processing or in the wiring. And pulling the level of the left speaker down quite a bit would make sense. And delay them 20+ milliseconds. I like the effect l-r rearfill gives you but I run it to give the fronts a better sense of space. Yes it will cause staging issues. I have my rears just barely loud enough to give a slight sense of space. And it's eq'd flat too. The effect it has depends on the song. I think it's worth it if you're just wanting to add a little extra spice to your tune.

I see you're from Hayden, AL. You should come to Al's gettogether in November.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

6. Back To Top    #16
    Real Name
    Mack
    Vehicle
    05 F150 Fx4

I was looking into the Helix DSP, and following posts in regards to rear fill when I found this site. I do inderstand the need to attenuate and delay just no experience with proper rear fill.

As to the gettogether sounds great, just wouldn't want to crash the party being new to this site.

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

As long as you're a good laid back person that's willing to learn I'm sure everyone will greet you with open arms. New people show up to meets all the time and become staples at these things over time. Good people, good food, crazy stories, good tunes, and lots of jokes. And all of us in attendance are open books if you have a question we can answer.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

8. Back To Top    #18
    Real Name
    Mack
    Vehicle
    05 F150 Fx4

Sounds good I will definetly try to be there, I have plenty of questions.

9. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    You'd have to pull the level of the rears down A LOT and set them up where the mono information is cancelled out only leaving left and right cues (L-R) whether it be in the processing or in the wiring. And pulling the level of the left speaker down quite a bit would make sense. And delay them 20+ milliseconds. I like the effect l-r rearfill gives you but I run it to give the fronts a better sense of space. Yes it will cause staging issues. I have my rears just barely loud enough to give a slight sense of space. And it's eq'd flat too. The effect it has depends on the song. I think it's worth it if you're just wanting to add a little extra spice to your tune.

I see you're from Hayden, AL. You should come to Al's gettogether in November.
    how you know he is from Hayden ?

10. Back To Top    #20
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

DaddyMack,
    Rear fill helps with spaciousness when it is processed and attenuated. A two-way would be easier to implement.
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]