Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Midbass/sub array, running 2 way in a regular cab truck

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Mark
    Vehicle
    2015 Silverado RCSB

Re: Midbass/sub array, running 2 way in a regular cab truck

Thanks for all the responses, I appreciate all the input. As much as I agree with all the input I have a slightly jaded perspective since I have been trying out the theory for last few months. I installed the AP NZ3s in the dash last year along with a pair of JL 10W0s, additionally I put a pair of Tymphany LAT 300s that I had laying around below the sub box in a very poorly sealed box. Other than the LAT drivers getting to excursion limits when I beat on it, I have been happy with the overall frequency spectrum layout and have not had any major "pulling" to the rear. I have just been itching for more midbass since the LAT drivers are just a bit weak. I am running the NZ3s down to 320HZ with now issues, so I have not been hearing any vocals behind me.

Now I am more than happy to admit that I am no expert, so maybe a more focused ear would pick up rear vocals. I think I am going to move forward with the plan and in the end I can always add midbass forward and keep all 4 woofers as sub stage only, in the end this whole hobby is just one big experent isn't it.

I am considering running these drivers due to the small space requirement, any thoughts.

https://www.parts-express.com/morel-...oofer--297-066

2. Back To Top    #12
    Vehicle
    2016 Ford Escape SE & 2020 Nissan Rogue SV

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    I am considering running these drivers due to the small space requirement, any thoughts.

https://www.parts-express.com/morel-...oofer--297-066
    The F3 in the optimum enclosures seems a bit high for much sub bass. Are you planning on a sealed or vented enclosure?

3. Back To Top    #13

I did this in single cab p/u with little experience in the mid-eighties. I used a pair of Yamaha 3.5" dual cones, mounted in the dash of an 85 Chevy with Pyle 8" subs using passive radiators, as was the fad after Kicker came out with their designs. It worked reasonably well, I imagine it would have been miles better with DSP and today's digital sources, but back then it was pretty stout with bi-amping a rarity in utilitarian truck system layouts.

Then I did it again, using what I thought was good gear, in a 91 Chevy single cab. First it was 6.5" Audio Art drivers down-fire behind the seat, 4 of them tuned a little high for SQ but hey, I wanted a little more output in the rock range, so I adjusted the porting... added a pair of Clarion Pro-Series 4X6 plates, up front. Not that bad, really. Then a set of JBL T-545's showed up at the local B and M, so I cut holes in the doors haha...

anyways, it really helps going down this road, to admit whether or not you're aiming for the lanes or just want an easy in for some loud tunage.

I didn't experience huge image shifts when I did these, doing mid-bass cut offs like yourself, 300 hz and up with down-fire rear sub/bass drivers. A little rainbow effect when moving the listening position forward and back, but for the most part, everything 300 hz and up is capable of bending one's stereo positioning into place. The fly in the ointment is tactile transmission of mid bass. If a front fire sub is banging against a seat-back, your mind will not remain placated in it's stereo reverie. The down-fire, distributed bass brings about 80% more of the SQ but a bit less "pop" at full tilt, imagine that...

the thing is, if the doors are out, the kick-panels are out, then you aren't left with much to work with. A console and bucket seats are a completely different animal, if that tickles.