Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Midbass/sub array, running 2 way in a regular cab truck

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Mark
    Vehicle
    2015 Silverado RCSB

Midbass/sub array, running 2 way in a regular cab truck

Looking for some input on an idea I have. I am redoing the system in my regular cab Silverado, and I am considering doing four 8-10" woofers across the back wall in conjunction with a pair of AP NZ3s in the dash.

I have read plenty of articles on midbass arrays and I am thinking about just using four drivers along the back wall running from 20 - 320/400hz for sub bass all the way through midbass. This would be a strickly 2 way system, the four drivers on the back wall and the two NZ3s on the dash, nothing else. I could run all four drivers mono or stereo, either left left right right or even left right left right with the passenger and driver each getting a pair of drivers playing left and right behind them.

Any thoughts on how this might work out. I am trying to avoid putting anything in the doors, I am tired of chasing door rattles.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    2016 Ford Escape SE & 2020 Nissan Rogue SV

Re: Midbass/sub array, running 2 way in a regular cab truck

Some of the Speakerworks cars only had HLCDs up front with the midbass drivers and subwoofers behind the listener, this could be somewhat along the same lines. I'm not sure what it would take to tune it and such or if the midbass/subwoofers would benefit from some creative wiring (you mentioned left left right right or left right left right, but you could do left left right right and use coils on the center two to make it a 2.5 way system for more stereo separation or left mono mono right with a coil).

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Mark
    Vehicle
    2015 Silverado RCSB

Thanks for the response, the Speakerworks Grand National was what kind of gave me the idea. I like your suggestion of left mono mono right, I had not thought of that. When I build the enclosure I intend to do 4 equal chambers to allow for experimentation.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle

What woofers and amp(s) are you considering?

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Mark
    Vehicle
    2015 Silverado RCSB

Quote Originally Posted by Euphonic View Post
    What woofers and amp(s) are you considering?
    I am considering these morel drivers

https://www.parts-express.com/morel-...oofer--297-086

I currently am running the pioneer 8601 and 8604, these are nice and compact and fit under the passenger seat. I may swap out the 8601 for another 8604 depending on how I end up wiring the drivers.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    I am considering these morel drivers

https://www.parts-express.com/morel-...oofer--297-086
    Those seem like plenty capable drivers, the optimum enclosure size was a bit alarming though.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

If you have the space, I'll offer this suggestion:

Eton "Orchestra" 8-612, 8" Paper Cone, Black

If you're looking to save some space, then these would be my choice for sure:

SB Acoustics SB23MFCL45-8, 8" Polypropylene Cone Sub Woofer - 8 ohm
    Are you not entertained?!?!

8. Back To Top    #8

Well, you will definitely get some pulling to the rear. There's no avoiding that. To what degree will depend on the final tune but just know going in that it's going to be an issue and it's going to be up to you whether or not you can tolerate it.
    -- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
    https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/

9. Back To Top    #9
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by erinh View Post
    Well, you will definitely get some pulling to the rear. There's no avoiding that. To what degree will depend on the final tune but just know going in that it's going to be an issue and it's going to be up to you whether or not you can tolerate it.
    I've always felt this way about the SpeakerWorks cars and some of the others I've seen. (Like http://www.caraudiojunkies.com/showt...cott+Alexander ) and yet some of them are regarded as the best sounding vehicles ever.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Euphonic View Post
    I've always felt this way about the SpeakerWorks cars and some of the others I've seen. (Like http://www.caraudiojunkies.com/showt...cott+Alexander ) and yet some of them are regarded as the best sounding vehicles ever.
    I'm not really sure what to tell you there. I've talked to a fair amount of people who were competing/around back "in the day" and who are also still heavily involved in the competition circuit within the last couple years through even today and all of them say those old setups, while great in their hey day, wouldn't hold up to today's top cars or mid level cars.

I just know that I've tried a lot of different things in my car and vocals behind me sounded like... vocals behind me. I even helped tune a friend's car who copied the old Buick GN setup with 10" pro audio drivers in the rear quarter panels of his coupe. I think after about 20 minutes of trying to "listen through" the speakers behind me I just threw in the towel and muted the rear speakers and told him he could turn them back on when I was done.

But like I said above: To what degree will depend on the final tune but just know going in that it's going to be an issue and it's going to be up to you whether or not you can tolerate it.

If you had some midbass up front to help plant more of the lower midrange up front or even split the different then it would be more tolerable. If this is something you just want to fill with noise and the goal isn't very much SQ oriented then rock it. But I'm just trying to set expectations here. There's a reason why some of those "great" ideas from the past aren't repeated anymore. If they worked, we'd still be doing it.
    Last edited by erinh; 08-21-2018 at 07:20 PM.
    -- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
    https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/