Thread: what speakers to get

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    2006 Chevy silverado

what speakers to get

i am working on upgrading the sound system in my 2006 extended cab silverado. i currently have 2 alpine r-w12d4 subs under the rear seat and i am planning on running the audiocontrol 6 channel dsp amp when i either have the money to spare or until i get really intoxicated and think it is a good decision. i want to do active component speakers in the front and coax in the rear but i can't decide what speakers to go with. i was originally looking at the alpine r series speakers but then someone told me to look into the polk mm1 component speakers instead. if anyone has input on what speakers to go with please let me know what you think. i am also open to getting other speakers than just those two.

thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Re: what speakers to get

What’s your budget? What’s the rms on the audiocontrol amp? Are you doing custom a-pillars?
    Kenwood DDX9903S, Arc PS-8 w/PSC, Arc Audio 1200.6, Helix SPXL1000, Audiofrog GB12D4(2) IB, GB60, GB25, GB10

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    2006 Chevy silverado

the audiocontrol amp is 125 rms per channel x6. https://www.audiocontrol.com/car-aud...fiers/d-61200/ . i will most likely be customizing my pillars for the tweeter and price range would be somewhere around 300/ pair max. if i can go cheaper and still get good quality speakers great but that is the price of the speakers i have been looking at.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

Quote Originally Posted by keigerator View Post
    i was originally looking at the alpine r series speakers but then someone told me to look into the polk mm1 component speakers instead.

thanks.
    Have you listened to either of these?

Speakers are subjective, some folks like soft dome tweets others metal. Listen to as many different sets as you can, note what you like and don't, cone materials, etc...Then you can make a decision on what suits you best. Also, front stage is WAY more important than rears. (imo) rear coaxs are a waste...

When you figure out what you like, post up. Many folks here are up on where the deals are.

Good luck in your search
    Z

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

I would start my search at Madisound, Parts Express, Meniscus, and diysoundgroup. Find some raw drivers you think will work for what you are trying to accomplish, then ask the question between the drivers you like. Most of the members on here have tried multiple drivers throughout the years, and can quickly narrow down you list to a couple great choices. Active vs.Passive will also play a role in your choices, so you may need to think about that while you are budgeting. I’m looking forward to seeing what your initial choices are.
    Kenwood DDX9903S, Arc PS-8 w/PSC, Arc Audio 1200.6, Helix SPXL1000, Audiofrog GB12D4(2) IB, GB60, GB25, GB10