Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to help my stepson into the rabbit hole

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Re: Trying to help my stepson into the rabbit hole

That is pretty slick right there! Very cool how you did the ports too, and the amp rack under the middle there. Awesome!!!
    Are you not entertained?!?!

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

His friends are telling him the subs are “unloading”. What does that mean? The box and slot port are built to manufacturers’ specs. I thought it sounded great, but I’m sure he is just blasting it to impress them. I’m also sure that whomever is hooking his amps up, probably doesn’t have the gains set correctly, and I’ve never done that. Any suggestions on the “unloading” thing?

Equipment is 2 Massive Audio Hippo 84 subs, Pioneer GM-D9601
    Last edited by beak81champ; 09-04-2018 at 04:41 PM.
    Kenwood DDX9903S, Arc PS-8 w/PSC, Arc Audio 1200.6, Helix SPXL1000, Audiofrog GB12D4(2) IB, GB60, GB25, GB10

3. Back To Top    #13
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Second question: We are going to do a Flute 6.5, and a PG 5.25 in his doors running off a Pioneer GM-D8604. He does not have a DSP, so we are going to have to use the amp filters. I only see the option for HPF/OFF/LPF for each pair. How should I use these?

The tweeters will be run off the head unit, and I believe they have an inline filter for protection. Thank you everyone for your help, as always!!!
    Kenwood DDX9903S, Arc PS-8 w/PSC, Arc Audio 1200.6, Helix SPXL1000, Audiofrog GB12D4(2) IB, GB60, GB25, GB10

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Unloading typically means the subs are playing a bit past the tuning frequency - you may want to look at the amp and see if there is a subsonic filter (SSF) and turn it up to about 25 or 30Hz - the head unit may have a filter built into it as well.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

5. Back To Top    #15
    Team Knuckledragger papacueball's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    2011 Dodge Charger

I would highpass the door speakers. He's likely going to keep it cranked, and low freqs will probably kill them with no crossover. The top end will roll off on it's own, and you can swap polarity on the tweeters and/or mids to see what blends the best.

6. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by beak81champ View Post
    My stepson has befriended the 217 bassheads club, so I’m helping him ease into it.

Attachment 6534Attachment 6535Attachment 6536
    It’s an 8 cu. ft. box tuned to 35 Hz, for a Rival C15.22 on a Pioneer GM-D9601. The doors will house a pair of Silver Flute 6.5’s, and a pair of Phoenix Gold Zero Point Z130 5.25’s. The doors will run a Pioneer GM-D8604. The tweets will be a pair of TBI HDSS run off the Blaupunkt head unit. This is all in his ‘02 Tahoe. This is the first box I’ve built. WINISD says 130 dB in this box, so we will see... He says he wants more of an SQ system 95% of the time, and big sub just so he feels like he fits in with the other guys when they all meet up and hang out...
    It's pleasant to see this turn into a family side interest.