Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tuning Sequence

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: Tuning Sequence

I've seen several people say they run different crossover points and/or slopes on different sides. I have never tried this, but have wondered what these off balance methods are targeting. If I knew what they used these methods for, I might play with it myself.....

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

Quote Originally Posted by claydo View Post
    I've seen several people say they run different crossover points and/or slopes on different sides. I have never tried this, but have wondered what these off balance methods are targeting. If I knew what they used these methods for, I might play with it myself.....
    How far off axis is your left mid vs right? I don't even pretend to understand all this, but that is what they are trying to adjust for.

3. Back To Top    #13
    Real Name
    Stu
    Vehicle
    '02 Honda Accord

I cross my midbass/fullrange at 300 hz. My left midbass is way further off axis than my right. It causes a drop in output starting below 300hz. So by crossing my left side midbass/full range at 250 I can compensate for that lack of output. All of this is hard to see without an RTA plot.

Sent from my Springfield XD with love!

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Howard
    Vehicle
    Gonzo the Yota 3.0

I have never tried to use different points or slopes based on L/R.

5. Back To Top    #15
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

Quote Originally Posted by bose301s View Post
    How do you do your TA with SMAART? I'm currently doing mine by ear, first do polarity on left, then right then center mids then set tweeter to same delay. Seems to work but wouldn't mind a more scientific way.
    The way the manual tells you to.

You can't do TA by ear and get accurate results....

But you sure can guess the height of a tree by looking at it.

6. Back To Top    #16
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

from 2010 on DIYMA

Smaart 6, Time Alignment
    Is it possible to measure what settings to use for time alignment using Smaart 6? I have a P880PRS headunit and would love to do some tweaking to the time alignment. I also noticed a phase section in the program, what does that do? Can it detect what phase the speakers are playing in so I can adjust the phasing too?

Thanks.
    Looking at it Yes. It won't give exact phase, but you can tell if you should invert phase on a specific speaker. The key is to run the speakers full range when setting it.

Look for the initial spike, if up it is in phase at the listening position, if down it is out of phase and you should flip it. Also, for time alignment you are trying to align the spikes of all of the speakers. Don't worry about the sub, it usually isn't affected by TA and is usually the furthest speaker away and the speaker you align the others to.

Just be careful when doing this, you can easily blow your tweeters with too hot of a signal using MLS signals.
    t/a affects phase.

Therefore, t/a will have an effect on the phase of the sub.

However, the reason most don't use t/a is simply because the sub is typically the furthest driver away from you and most use t/a only to 'push' the drivers closest to you further away to where the perceived arrival time is equal to that of the sub.
    When you break the t/a aspect down to phase, then you really start reaping the benefit of time alignment.
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Tommy Woosey
    Ophoven, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany, Germany
    Vehicle
    Mazda MX5 10th AE 5300/7500

Just found a copy of smaart on the webzz.. Gonna check it later tonight if and how it works... if it works I'll look if I can share it with y'all

EDIT: It works!! smaart 6

PM for info..
    Last edited by WOOSEY; 08-29-2013 at 11:04 AM.

8. Back To Top    #18
    Real Name
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

Now ya need a stereo usb card with at least one channel of flat mic pre and a special cable I can tell you how to make.

9. Back To Top    #19
    Real Name
    Tommy Woosey
    Ophoven, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany, Germany
    Vehicle
    Mazda MX5 10th AE 5300/7500

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    Now ya need a stereo usb card with at least one channel of flat mic pre and a special cable I can tell you how to make.
    I have a Tascam US-122mkII USB pre-amp and a behringer ecm8000 mic

You mean for reference? Is it very special?

I also have another measurment-mic with a panasonic capsule, very flat response in an alu-tube, with pre-amp that can be connected to the line-in of a computer.. can this be accurate for arrival time setting? http://www.audiosystem-europe.com/soundE.html
    Last edited by WOOSEY; 08-30-2013 at 02:35 AM.

10. Back To Top    #20
    Real Name
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

Smaart is closed loop. One channel gets the mic the other channel gets EXACTLY what you are sending the system... flipping on the monitoring for that channel is not enough, you have to loop an output to an input at the same time you send it to the system.