Thread: Good sound at low volume

1. Back To Top    #1

Good sound at low volume

I have spent a good bit of money on an Alpine head unit with a JL Audio xd800 amp bridged to supply 200 watts to 4 JL Audio C2 component speakers and a JL Audio JX 1000 amp to a 10” w7 prowedge sub that sounds fantastic when it’s loud.

What doesn’t make sense to me is that my factory sound system from Volkswagen that I replaced sounded better at low volume levels that are comfortable to talk to others in the car.

The closest compromise with my Alpine head unit is to use an EQ setting like Rock but I prefer the sound loud when I have no EQ and just flat. If it was simple to flip this back and forth I would but it’s actually a pain.

Is this a normal experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

Re: Good sound at low volume

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Define, better. As in, sounds kind of muffled? Treble, midrange, or bass seems lower?
    Are you not entertained?!?!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by SublimeZ View Post
    So that article was helpful and an education.

I’ve had a DSP before but thought it was only used to sum channels and correct for adjustments an OEM amp was making to the signals.

Now I’m thinking even for a low level input from a head unit and separate amps and crossovers that a DSP could help adjust a signal at a low volume to give some depth and then return things to a flat signal as the volume comes up.

Is that the concept ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk