Thread: FREQ vs STAGING

1. Back To Top    #1

FREQ vs STAGING

I use to always read/hear that if you boost or cut certain freqs, they would affect height, with, depth, etc .. That has never worked for me, it only makes those freq bands sound higher lower. Any truth to any of that stuff ?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Tommy Woosey
    Ophoven, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany, Germany
    Vehicle
    Mazda MX5 10th AE 5300/7500

Re: FREQ vs STAGING

I can say lowering the 5k range pushes the stage back... But that's in my situation... Dunno how other people experience it

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

3. Back To Top    #3

maybe we could just lift glasswolf's thread on this, over at deemer, to here with credit given?

it would be nice if we had native "technical support" in the form of the classic stuff, like IID to IED or whatever, haha.. here on this site.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

I guess it depends on the shape of the person's outer ear. Would the frequency ranges that you are talking about reflect/refract off certain parts of the pinna differently?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anatomy_of_pinna_jp.jpg 
Views:	619 
Size:	159.9 KB 
ID:	1238

I know I just pulled this theory directly out of my ass, but it sounded good didn't it?

5. Back To Top    #5

the why is probably not as important as the knowledge of how or when or what difference there is between ranges?

the overlap region from "mostly" intensity-based, to localize on tweeters is probably different due to people's structural ear geometry differing, but making a correlation is still ball-park kind of a guess, I think.

this goes back to content, and how most of the mono stuff in pop, or rock music is going to pan to the sides with certain instruments, and stick to the middle of the stage for others.

there's probably a pretty fair rule that mixing engineers follow, and when they stray from it you get something that may be a little off-sounding.

chad probably knows a little about this, as he's in and out of the recording environment quite a bit, I believe...

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
    I use to always read/hear that if you boost or cut certain freqs, they would affect height, with, depth, etc .. That has never worked for me, it only makes those freq bands sound higher lower. Any truth to any of that stuff ?
    I was like you when I first started to learn - couldn't hear a damn thing

But when I started tuning without my laptop is when I learned the most.
    Start doing in with a wide bandwith (example 80Hz-500Hz or 800Hz-1.6kHz) - you'll see for example that not enough midbass range will have your sound not only bright and in your face but closer to you too

Best way to learn is to do it with the subwoofer OFF - that's what I usually do when I really don't know which range has a problem.

Kelvin

7. Back To Top    #7

I only use the RTA for a rough tune to get started. My sub is also my midbass right now so turning it off might not be a good solution for me.

8. Back To Top    #8

Just try it

Sometimes, the subwoofer can mask big problems happening up high - what I do is lower the HP of my midbass to 50Hz @24dB/oct and try to get the most of my system as a whole - then bring the HP back to where it were and add the subwoofer back, dial it in and enjoy.

Kelvin