Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Chevrolet Silverado Regular Cab

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Mark
    Vehicle
    2015 Silverado RCSB

2015 Chevrolet Silverado Regular Cab

I am sure like many of you right now, I finally have some time to get some projects done. I am still fortunate enough to be working but no travel and no family trips. So with the weather getting warm here in VA its finally time to properly install a decent system in my daily driver, a 2015 Chevrolet Silverado LT regular cab short bed. I bought this truck new in the summer of 2015 after searching for months for a regular cab short bed two wheel drive V8 Silverado. The truck has gotten some minor mods since new.

Full de-badging
    Tinted windows
    Added factory black rally stripes
    Lowered rear 3"
    22" factory LTZ wheels
    Baer brake kit front/rear
    Cat back exhaust
    Cold air intake
    Bed rug
    Bak flip hard tonneau

Picture of truck for attention

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	205 
Size:	2.95 MB 
ID:	10213

The truck has had some audio since about 2017, however it was never really right. Part of the problem is that the Audicontrol DQXS that i had failed a couple of years ago and has since been replaced by just a Coustic XM6 that I had sitting on the shelf. Additionally the Tymphany LAT250s that I had installed behind the seats for midbass failed, as a result I have been operating on just a pair of Audible Physics NZ3s and a pair of JL 10W1V3s.

My goal was to keep the system fairly simple and with a reasonable budget. I have been into this hobby for almost 25 years and the one thing I have learned is that complicated systems can be complicated to own. I am going to document the cost with this install so that new people to this site and this hobby really see what it costs to build even a simple, decent sounding system. In order to keep costs down I am deliberately choosing some lower priced options that I think will still deliver equal performance to some of the higher priced names that everyone is familiar with.

Here is the list of planned equipment

Factory head unit (currently connected to JL cleansweep)
    Dayton Audio DSP-408 with bluetooth dongleand wired remote - $200
    Toro amps, MRx4, MRx2 and MR2 - $240 (for all 3)
    Infinity Reference 275tx tweeters - $42
    Infinity KAPPA 20MX midranges - $93.50
    Dayton Audio RS180-4 midbass - 101.98
    JL Audio 10W1V3-4 Subwoofers - 419.98
    Subthump prefab enclosure/amp rack - 249.73 (delivered)

Total - 1347.19

My goal is to try to do the whole install for under $1500, I will document the cost of installation accessories as I go. These prices are all from online shopping, most from Amazon. I am not anti brick and mortar stores, in fact the JL 10W1V3s came from my local shop, however I like many of us enjoy the convenience and cost savings of shopping online.

I got a bit of a head start and already mounted the tweeters in the A pillars. I choose the Infinity Refernce 275tx based on cost ($42 on Amazon) and consistent 5 star reviews, they were also small enough to fit on the A pillars and allowed me to angle them. Here is the finished install of the tweeters on the A pillars.

Name:	20200415_193248.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	10174

I have most of the equipment on hand but still have some installation materials on the way. I will be using the prefab subthump box that has been in the truck since 2017 as I want to show that you dont have to be able to fabricate a custom enclosure to have a well built good sounding system. The box has performed well and I like that the center allows for amp mounting, I also dont really want to take the time to build a custom box and amp rack right now when I have one.

http://subthump.com/Chevrolet-GMC-Cu...Space-New.html
    Last edited by Navy Chief; 04-18-2020 at 11:19 AM.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Vehicle
    2017 Silverado CCSB

Re: 2015 Chevrolet Silverado Regular Cab

Very cool! Interested to see your experience with the DSP-408 with this truck. I'm trying to convince my uncle to put one in his Sierra along with some Dayton drivers for a nice active setup for a fairly low initial cost.

On your Infinity tweeeters, do you find that the flush mount sits pretty clean in the pillars? I know that there is a bit of a curve on them so didn't know if I could get away with it that easily if I decided to go that route. Currently thinking about going to the sail panels just for ease of the install.

3. Back To Top    #3

Nice simple low budget build. I believe good sound quality can be achieved on a reasonable budget.

It would be refreshing to see an opposite approach of maximizing sound quality at the least cost.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Mark
    Vehicle
    2015 Silverado RCSB

Quote Originally Posted by ajt976 View Post
    Very cool! Interested to see your experience with the DSP-408 with this truck. I'm trying to convince my uncle to put one in his Sierra along with some Dayton drivers for a nice active setup for a fairly low initial cost.

On your Infinity tweeeters, do you find that the flush mount sits pretty clean in the pillars? I know that there is a bit of a curve on them so didn't know if I could get away with it that easily if I decided to go that route. Currently thinking about going to the sail panels just for ease of the install.
    I have been watching the Dayton DSP for a while now and I just dont think there is anything else out there for that cost, seems like a no brainer to me.

I chose the flattest spot that I could find on the A pillars that was low and without any obstructions front and back to deal with. I love that the Infinity tweeters include a threaded collar and locking ring. They were almost perfectly flat just laying in the hole, but I was able to tighten the ring to draw them tight and make a perfect fit.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Mark
    Vehicle
    2015 Silverado RCSB

Quote Originally Posted by reithi View Post
    Nice simple low budget build. I believe good sound quality can be achieved on a reasonable budget.

It would be refreshing to see an opposite approach of maximizing sound quality at the least cost.
    Thanks for the interest. I just thought it might help some people out to really understand what this hobby costs, but also see that you dont have to spend a fortune for good sound. I updated my initial post with actual values to be more specific.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Mark
    Vehicle
    2015 Silverado RCSB

So I got more goodies in the mail yesterday, a big thanks to all my delivery people out there (UPS, FEDEX, AMAZON and USPS) the fact that we can still get deliveries makes quarantine bearable.

Name:	20200417_194920.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	10232

I now have everything I need to complete the installation, power wire and RCAs are already in place.

List of installation parts:

Dynamat 2 door kit - 64.99
    Dynamat roller - 10.99
    Metra door kit - 19.99
    AI speaker harness (doors) - 12.99
    Stinger fast rings - 14.00
    Parts Express speaker gasket - 15.25
    Knu koncepts speaker wire - 16.88
    ManYee 300 piece terminal kit - 10.99
    Tiyang power/ground distro/fuse block - 29.99

Total for installation parts - 196.07

Updated total - 1543.26 (guess I wont quite make $1500)

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Mark
    Vehicle
    2015 Silverado RCSB

I figured I would add a little bit more detail on the tweeter installation. I choose these tweeters based a lot on size, they sit very well on the A pillars and look like they belong in my opinion. I used the locking ring to figure out the best placement, specifically where they would sit flat on the A pillar.

Name:	20200414_175931.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	10241

Name:	20200414_180207.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	10238

I then matched the locking ring with the appropriate sized hole saw, I used 1 1/2" because I thought 1 3/4" was going to be too large.

Name:	20200414_175958.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	615.0 KB 
ID:	10239

Name:	20200414_175945.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	955.9 KB 
ID:	10240

After cutting the hole, I trimmed the edges with a razor knife and had to open it up slightly also using the knife. The A pillar plastic is very soft and cut smoothly with a sharp razor. Even though it took longer I an glad I went with the smaller hole and trimmed it out accordingly, I got the perfect fit.

Name:	20200414_183752.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	10237

Name:	20200414_193436.jpg 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	10236

After I got the hole to the exact size, I used some 150 grit sandpaper to clean up the edges and then a heat gun to flow the plastic again and make the edges perfectly smooth. I would like to believe if someone took it back apart they might believe that the hole came from the factory like that.

Name:	20200415_192827.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	10234

I made an effort to avoid having to cut the bracing in the plastic on the back side, the locking rink was just below the brace after final install.

Name:	20200415_192818.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	10235

Here is a shot of them reinstalled in the truck, wires still need to be run. I aimed them as far back towards the seats as I could as well as slightly upward to start, visually this put them the most on axis with the seats. Other than color, I don't feel like they look out of place or detract from the original interior.

Name:	20200418_124527.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	799.4 KB 
ID:	10243

Name:	20200418_124516.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	805.7 KB 
ID:	10242

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Mark
    Vehicle
    2015 Silverado RCSB

I did some more mock ups today just to see how everything will go together. I did break down and buy a bass knob for the Toro MR2 amp, I cant get one yet form Toto since they still have not been received by the manufacturer. Toro did however inform me that I could just purchase a Massive UR1 knob (20.99 on Amazon) and use that in its place, Massive is the parent company of Toro so they share some architecture.

Name:	20200417_131555.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	10251

I took the raw knob out of its casing to see how I could panel mount it. I dont love that I will have to trim the board in order to be able to use the threads on the knob for mounting, it is clear that they did not plan for anyone to remove this from the case.

Name:	20200417_131655.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	10252

I also did some mock up of how the Dayton drivers would fit in the Metra adapter plates. The Dayton is advertised as a 7" driver however it is closer to 6.75". After I popped out the removable tabs I became clear that the Dayton basket is the absolute largest basket that will fit inside this adapter without trimming, it is almost like the adpater was made for the Dayton.

Name:	20200417_200429.jpg 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	10253

I am very impressed by the construction of the Metra adapter, it is very heavy plastic and once the Dayton is bolted to it should be amply rigid to support its purpose. I plan on using Allen screws and lock nuts to attach the Dayton to the adapter. I will be packing the empty cavities on the top and bottom of the adapter with non hardening clay to lower the resonance frequency of the adapter/ driver unit.

Name:	20200417_200446.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	10254

9. Back To Top    #9
    Vehicle
    2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab

Looks pretty sweet so far. What made you decide to go with the Toro amplifiers? I, like you, feel that SQ doesn't have cost a few mortgage payments, I can't afford that; I also believe at some point the high end stuff is a niche product. I'm interested because I'm going to start on two builds, one for my truck-a total factory overhaul and adding to my daughters' truck which I've already started on with the head unit and internals, now just a sub and amp set up is all I need for her. Also since I have a 2006 GMC Sierra crew cab I'm interested in what box and amp rack you went with, do you have pics of those?

10. Back To Top    #10
    Vehicle
    2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab

Just saw the box. But I was wondering since it has an amp "shelf" are your amps going to get the vibrations from the subs causing a problem when you mount them there?