Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland Install

1. Back To Top    #81
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

Re: 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland Install

Very very interesting plan. I like your idea.
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

2. Back To Top    #82
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

So, decided this tangled mess of RCAs just wasn't going to cut it:

Stripped back one of the jackets to reveal a pretty common setup, outer shielded with a center wire for the RCA outputs of the DSR1:

Picked up some Mogami 2319 Wire and JCM RCA connectors, snipped the female ends off the DSR1 harness, soldered on the Mogami wire:

Was a bit tedious, but eventually we ended up with this:

And ohhhh yeah, that's better:

Are you not entertained?!?!

3. Back To Top    #83
    Real Name
    Rich

Wat da fcuk? Chit has stereo equipment in his ride?

4. Back To Top    #84
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

For now...

5. Back To Top    #85
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    For now...

6. Back To Top    #86
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Welp, Al jinxed it. The distortion is back again today, and WAY worse. I tested different speakers on the Arc amp, and still getting the distortion. Then swapped amps and used the different speakers, no distortion. Hooked the factory amp back up, and guess what. Distortion. Now I'm really bumfuzzled.

Could one of the ID 6x9s be fubar, and putting the Arc amp into some sort of protect mode that causes it to sound fuzzy and distorted?

7. Back To Top    #87
    Team Knuckledragger papacueball's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    2011 Dodge Charger

Maybe try a different source straight into the amp.

8. Back To Top    #88
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

Is the factory amp in play when you get the distortion?
    You said "Then swapped amps and used the different speakers, no distortion." sooooooo i'm confused
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

9. Back To Top    #89
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Whole story... starting two days ago, the crackle was back, but only at certain volumes. It really sounded like the tweeters though, because it come from both the left and the right side. I'm thinking, ok... maybe it's an EQ problem... the tweeters are distorting at a certain frequency... no problem. I can tune that out later. Well yesterday on the way home, oh noooo... it got BAD distorted. So bad I pulled over and shut the tweeters off with the DSR1 app on my phone. That didn't fix it - it was the driver's side midbass again!!! So I swapped RCAs from right to left, but it stayed with the driver's side mid. So I'm thinking, crap. It's either my wiring, the speaker, or the amp might be fubar.

The way I have it setup, DSR1 has tweeters (1&2), midbass (3&4), rear full ranges (5&6), and sub channels (7&8). The Arc 1200.6 has Front, Rear, and Sub inputs. From the DSR1, I have channels 1&2 (tweeters) to the rear channels of the amp (that's how the Arc manual recommended doing it because it only has a high pass feature), channels 3&4 (midbass) to the sub channels of the amp, and 5&6 (rear full ranges) to the front channels of the amp (because you can bandpass the front channels).

Got home, immediately unplugged the left midbass speaker output from the Arc amp, and wired up an NVX 6.5" - the distortion was still there? So then I'm like, ok. It must be the amp channel. Maybe cap went bad, something. Decided fine, I'll just move the midbass outputs of the DSR1 to the front outputs of the amp. Guess what... still distorted. This is when every channel, including the tweeters, starting getting fuzzy and distorted. I hit the breaker to shut power, and just accepted the amp must be fugged. Unhooked it, and hooked up an Infinity Kappa Five to make sure. Didn't have enough wire length to test the factory harness, so I hooked up the NVX 6.5" and the TC 15" sub to the Infinity, and no distortion. That confirmed it right there, or so I thought. Decided to put the factory amp back in just to get by for a bit, and freaky deak, the driver's mid sounds BAADDDDD distorted now.

Long story short, had the speakers running off factory power for months with no issues. Finally install the DSR1 and Arc amps, and get distortion on driver's side midbass. Unhook, put the factory amp back in, had distortion again right after hooking it up, but not the next morning and for the two weeks it took my to put the DSR1 and Arc amps back in again. All is good for almost two weeks, now the distortion is back in the same speaker, but worse. And again, put the factory amp back in, distorted right afterwards, but this morning, didn't notice it at all.

I'm bumfuzzled. So now I'm wondering, is the ID 6x9 bad? And is that causing a crazy ohm load on the Arc that's putting it into a semi protect mode?

10. Back To Top    #90
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

shorted wire going to the ID? did you use the same wires when you tested the nvx speakers and infinity amp?
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma