Thread: 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland Install

1. Back To Top    #21
    Real Name
    Jim
    Vehicle
    2011 Dodge Challenger

Re: 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland Install

Quote Originally Posted by chithead View Post
    So, another afterthought. Didn't realize those subs are a bit wide - far as the mounting flange. Almost 27.25" across for both together. With only 33" of room towards the front of the spare tire well, that leaves very little wiggle room for spacing between the subs, and any sort of trim piece. On the flip side, the amps are about 21.25" wide, and would have quite a bit of room between them if set towards the rear. That is not drawn to scale but represented by Figure No.2 in the ever impressive Post-It Note drawings posted below. Figure No.1 is an interesting concept, but kinda looks crowded to me near the second sub. But, Figure No.3, by reversing the placement, amps towards the front, subs towards the rear, looks like it would balance better. However, the amp connections are on one side, controls on the opposite. Which means I can have moderate access to the controls, but all wiring is pushed towards the front should any troubleshooting be necessary, or flip flop, have access to the wiring side, but then control side is inaccessible unless the amps are removed. I'm thinking... how often do you really have to disconnect the wires. Control access, priority in this case. Cool beans.

#3 would be my vote. Having the final presentation look out of balance would bother me eventually. That is why my amp controls are a little hard to get to, but once they were set I really haven't had to mess with them. I would make a panel to cover it all that could be removed and hinge the amp mount from underneath so you could lift them enough to tinker if necessary.
    Current System:

Headunit: Clarion CZ702
    Highs/Mids: PPI S.65 Tweets, Crunch CS35 3.5 (crossed passively on high out of deck)
    Midbass: CT Sounds Meso Pro 6.5 (crossed actively using mid out on deck)
    Sub: Sundown Audio EV3 12 D2
    Amp 1: RF r250.4 - Highs/Mids
    Amp 2: Pioneer GM-D8601 Sub @ 1 ohm
    T line enclosre

2. Back To Top    #22
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Awesome sauce! Thank you - definitely plan on a cover panel to hide all the screw holes and such, plus a little extra hopefully
    Are you not entertained?!?!

3. Back To Top    #23
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Yeah but be sure the heat can be dissipated.
    With CAD/CAM and a 3d printer the mids will be Great :
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

4. Back To Top    #24
    Vehicle
    '15 Dodge Durango R/T

Looking good so far Chit. Any updates?

5. Back To Top    #25
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Starting cleaning up the garage

That's about it though. Need the room to start some fabrimification.

6. Back To Top    #26
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Hmmm...

And hmmm...

Well that's interesting:

The floor actually closes. With the motors setting on the very bottom, and the floor touching the surrounds, of course:

So, let's try one out, see how it does off just 500 watts:

Should be able to test this weekend.

7. Back To Top    #27
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Sooo... decided to check some things real quick. Simply because, I REALLY want to take this install up a level. Not just in output, but mostly for pure everyday enjoyable bliss. And yes, having strong output on the subs is desirable, of course. But, having said that, do I REALLY want to fabricate an entire floor to have that? We use the crap out of this Jeep, every day. So cargo space is a must, as well as being very durable. To fit the GZ subs, would have to raise that floor at least 3.5 inches. Not too bad. But is it worth it? Well, let's see. The graphs are where I modeled five different sub setups, using three different subwoofers. The Green line represents four NVX VS 15" subs in a 5.5 cubic foot sealed enclosure, Blue is four Peerless XLS 12" in the same size sealed enclosure. Pink is the four NVX VS 15" in a 5.2 cube ported enclosure tuned to 33Hz, Yellow is the four Peerless XLS 12" in the same enclosure, and Red are the pair of GZ 15" in the same 5.2 subes tuned to 33Hz ported enclosure.

Check out them GZ subs! I mean, dayum. Might be worth it after all. Those Peerless XLS 12" still seem like a fantastic deal though, especially for $160 right now. And if you buy four or more, $140 each

8. Back To Top    #28
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Hooked up one of the HD900/5 to that single sub this weekend to test output, response, etc. - made the assumption before hand that 500 watts each just wouldn't be enough for these mammoths with their rather extreme power ratings.

Boy, was I wrong. Just using my phone as the source unit, that single sub was crazy. 500 watts was plenty for sure. Volume wasn't as loud as it's capable of I'm sure, as the phone isn't the highest voltage output device - but it was still enough to rattle the garage door!!! So that pretty well sealed the deal, that 15" subwoofers is the avenue I would like to take on this build. However, after preparing for an upcoming vacation next month, it was decided that no, can't raise the floor to accommodate the GZ monsters. So, on the hunt for a pair of 15" subwoofers that work in the available space, but also fit the height requirement as well.

9. Back To Top    #29

Can’t wait for more on this one.

10. Back To Top    #30
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

You and me both

Lost an auction for a pair of old school Eclipse 15" subwoofers - thought those might be perfect for this, but oh well. Always another option out there somewhere just begging to be found!