Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland Install

1. Back To Top    #91
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Re: 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland Install

Used new wire for the NVX and Infinity. Same power wires and RCAs, but different speaker wire.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

2. Back To Top    #92
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

If the NVX speaker distorted on the Infinity amp with different wire going to the speaker that means the ID speaker and Arc amp "should" be fine. We ruled that out...HOPEFULLY. And you get distortion with the factory amp in use and dsr1 bypassed correct? If that's the case we can rule out the processor. This leads me to believe something in your signal chain is fooked. But now I'm foncuzzled so who the hell knows what's going on now. I know I mention this a lot in strange noise issue threads but have you considered getting a priest involved? Might be something strange entity in the Jeep itself...ONLY PARTIALLY BEING SARCASTIC WITH THE LAST COMMENT!
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

3. Back To Top    #93
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Ha!!! I can't help but think replacing the 6x9 is the first place to start, find out if the issue repeats. If not, then we have the culprit.

4. Back To Top    #94
    Team Knuckledragger papacueball's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    2011 Dodge Charger

The factory head was in the signal chain in all of those scenarios, right? Hence my suggestion to use a different source straight into the amp.

5. Back To Top    #95
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

6. Back To Top    #96
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Yeah I agree an alternate source to take the 8.4 out of the picture will be your best bet. It's the ONLY thing that's been in the signal chain EVERY SINGLE TIME correct? This includes when the NVX speaker had distortion? Also, hook up the cdsp and ampro some crazy mofo from Arkansas sent you and see what happens. Not saying it will solve your problems but you own it free and clear so may as well try it
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

7. Back To Top    #97
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Well, it didn't take two minutes tonight to send the driver's side mid into distortion like a mofo tonight with the factory amp back in. I'll swap it out first, and see what happens, then try a radio direct through the Arc amp into the ID mid and test that too. Might as well rule out all possibilities.

And I do like the idea of the AmpPro and MiniDSP.

8. Back To Top    #98
    Team Knuckledragger papacueball's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    2011 Dodge Charger

I would try to rule out the headunit first. Something simple, like an ipod into the rca inputs of the arc.

Check your grounds, too.

9. Back To Top    #99
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Quote Originally Posted by papacueball View Post
    I would try to rule out the headunit first. Something simple, like an ipod into the rca inputs of the arc.

Check your grounds, too.
    Agreed. Something funny is going on somewhere and my gut feeling says it's the headunit.

10. Back To Top    #100
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

So, you ain't gonna believe this. Couldn't take it anymore, and even with the drizzle outside, I tore that mutha fuggin door apart to figure out what this issue was. Took the speaker out, hooked up a NVX 6.5", and no distortion. Pulled the phase plug on the fuzzy sounding ID 6x9 and looked like there was some slight debris there near the coil. Used the air nozzle and shop vac to spray and suck but that didn't fix it. Still distorted.

Found that the cardboard cover around a new razor blade fits perfect inside the coil gap, so I ran it around the inside hoping to clean up anything that may still be floating around in there. Hooked up, sounded like the distortion was gone, put the speaker back in, and poof. Still there Decided to just swap to the NVX 6.5" mids for now, but those things don't fit! The MDF baffles from the Challenger space them out too far, and the door panel wouldn't go back on. So in a last effort, I decided to clean the coil again with that piece of cardboard, hooked it up, distortion gone again! Yes!

That's when it hit me... when cranking down the screws, apparently I was tightening them too much, and twisting the plastic basket. I guess it tweaks the cone just enough, putting a bind on the coil, which then rubs and distorts. Was very careful to get the screws just tight enough to seal everything up, but kept the basket perfectly flat. No distortion!!!