Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland Install

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

2014 Grand Cherokee Overland Install

Sooo... was holding off on posting anything, but hearing all the good thing about HillybillySQ's 2014 and seeing DavidRam post up his 2018 WK2 - man the inspiration is flowing! Feeling some love for the Grand Cherokees now, and couldn't resist.

Ours has the 10 speaker Alpine setup. UConnect 8.4 - to a 10 channel amplifier, that feeds a single 3" center channel, 1" tweeters in the sail panels, 6x9" woofers in the front doors, 6.5" speakers in the rear doors, 2.5" speakers way back in the D pillars, and a single 8" sub in the cargo area on the passenger side.

Thought about reusing the FiX82 and TwK D8 from our 2016 Challenger, but with only eight inputs, couldn't figure out how to get all 10 signals summed into one. Factory amp bypass seemed like the best option. I see PAC has the AmpPro out, and really neat to get the optical add on, but... I've not had luck with PAC products at all in the past. Seems like the people I know that have purchased the AmpPro have had no issues, which is awesome. Hoping no one thinks I might be bashing that PAC piece, because definitely am not. At least five people I personally know using it have had zero issues. And heck, if it would be a better choice to take this install to the level it needs to be, would definitely consider it. Picked up a Rockford Fosgate DSR1 along with the plug and play harness for the WK2. Amp bypass, eight channels of output with DSP built in. And, that's about as far as I made it.

Are you not entertained?!?!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Re: 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland Install

Speaker locations:

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

So, originally, my thoughts were, could carry everything over from the Challenger.

NVX X-series XSPTW Tweeters (front doors)
    NVX X-series XSP65 6.5" Woofers (front doors)
    NVX X-series XSP525 5.25" Woofers (rear fill?)
    NVX X-series XQW124 12" Subwoofers (on each side of the cargo area)
    Pair of JL Audio HD900/5 Amplifiers

Thought about bridging for the 6.5" Woofers in the front doors, but then the idea struck, why not double rear fill? No, not THAT kind. The 5.25" in the rear doors, and maybe the matching SB Acoustics that these NVX X-series speakers are based on? They have a 4" version, could be perfect?

Well... the sub idea was a bust. Bradknobs had already warned me about there not being much space on the driver's side due to the fuel filler and factory amplifier being there.

Snuck a peek without pulling the panel, and he's right. There is hardly any room there.

So where else do we put the subs and amps? Here I guess:

Losing the spare tire is not something I'm a fan of, but... we plan on upgrading the tire size on this Jeep since they can tuck 32" tires no problem. Being AWD, would need a taller spare, that won't fit in the tire well anyways. So why not.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Alright, let's rip some stuff apart!!!

Say, that's one cute little speaker:

And let's get this booger out of there:

Wait a minute. Cute, little... speaker... uhhhh... will the SB Acoustics 4" even fit?

That would be a great big, NO. Check it out compared to the 5.25" NVX:

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Well, what about this?

Or this?

Maybe like this?

Messing around with tweeter/midrange distances - those baffles on the tweeters were from the Challenger, just never bothered to take them off yet:

Well, if going through all that trouble, why not the 5.25" instead?

On second thought, that might be a bit much:

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Anywho, that's as far as we've made it. Still bouncing around tons of ideas. Was pretty sold two days ago on just going with the NVX speakers and subs, and keep it basic 2 way, rear fill, and the subs. But then DavidRam posts his thread, and all the other Grand Cherokee owners posting their setups, gets the daydream gears grinding again. But... I've decided for now, to just keep it that plan. Tweeters in the sail panels, 6.5" front door woofers, 5.25" rear door woofers, the pair of subs and both amps in the spare tire well.

MoparMike has been helping out tremendously with actually getting motivated, so ordered up all the wiring needed to at least get the processor and amps installed, then can do some listening tests from there.

Anyone happen to know what color the trim pieces are? It's kinda between bronze and like a vintage brass. Thinking about painting the amps to match it:

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Booty shots for anyone curious about the NVX X-series subs:

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Alright, so first thing's first. Let's do some installing!!!

Started out, with fresh oil. Yeah yeah, I still do my own oil changes. Or so I thought. Put my socket on bolt, went to turn it, and... nothing. What the? Tugged a bit more, and... nothing. So I spun the wrench around, to get an upward push, and... pop. Oh yeah baby, there we go, wait. Oh no... yup. It's stripped. And not the tequila induced late night on the beach kind of stripped. Great. Got the vise grips, nope. Bought this handy bolt extractor socket set, and those really grab as advertised. But, still won't budge.

So, called the dealer, preparing for a battle. Read online someone was quoted $1150 to pull the engine up and replace the pan because of it. But it was their dang fault. Can obviously tell they used an air tool to put the bolt back on, so yeah. Was all ready to have it out, and the guy says, you did what? I explained again, he said, no problem. No problem? Yup, happens all the time, bring it on up here, we'll take care of it. $54 later for the cost a dealer oil change, and they indeed fixed it.

Cool! First mod to the Jeep done!

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

So today was a good day, got a head start on the wiring:

Never used 1/0 before, it's some hefty stuff for sure:

Love me some techflex and heat shrink:

Getting all the routing planned out and accounted for, looks like it should work well:

Asked a few friends whether to use a fuse or circuit breaker, was surprised by the votes for a breaker. Went ahead and plucked one from the install parts bin and secured it directly to the battery cover under the passenger seat (MoparMike is the man for suggesting this!!!)

Note to self, always read the IN and OUT on the breaker - had to turn it around:

That's ok though, cut the power wire just a little bit long for routing, so that worked out even better. Still under 18" though!!!

Hopefully soon, will see these goodies going in:

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Talk about a last minute realization. Looks like the harness needs to come back apart. For a silly reason too.

Planned on bridging to the front door woofers. So instead of running larger gauge, I just twisted two pairs together. But, now... having difficulty locating which wires are attached to which on the Maestro harness. I know, I know. Should have labeled all this before techflex and heatshrinking the chit out of it. Lesson learned. Hopefully, can just cut that piece of heatshrink covering the connections and narrow it down right there. Thinking about untwisting those pairs too and not bridging. The HD900/5 doesn't really double power when bridged, just bumps from 100 to 150 watts. Not a huge difference, and I'd rather have that extra set of channels available should the desire to add a set of midranges in the A-pillars occurs later on. Plus with both amps most likely being hidden under the rear cargo floor cover, really would like them to have as less stress on them as possible, to avoid more heat.