Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland Install

1. Back To Top    #51
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Re: 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland Install

Oh, I need to point out too - that wiring diagram link I posted above, it worked, for the driver's door. But when I moved straight back to the passenger door on the driver's side, the wire colors didn't match. Immediately tore the passenger side apart to find out, yup. Colors didn't match. Found this link instead with a TON of information - Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 Series: 2011-2019

There is a link for these documents:

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/audio/2014_w...io_diagram.pdf

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/audio/2014_w...io_diagram.pdf

Premium 2 worked for me - colors matched up. Funny thing though, feel I should point this out to anyone wanting to use those factory speaker connectors to make a harness... DOUBLE check the diagram!!! I lined them all up, and was about to solder all the wires the same, and then it kinda clicked. Wait a minute. The front door negative, is on the right side of the connector, but the rear door negative, is on the left side. Or was it? Went out to the Jeep again to check, wrote it down, made sure I had the color and orientation correct, went back inside, looked at the diagram, and huh? Again, went back out to the Jeep, triple checked, and yup. The negatives are swapped on the factory terminals. If you used a harness for the rear doors, it's backwards on the front doors. After eyeballing the factory speakers though, it made sense. They use the same connector, but the orientation on how it attaches to the basket determines that it is backwards on the front doors. Just wanted to mention that in case someone tries to rush through this, and ends up with some phase issues.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

2. Back To Top    #52
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

So after some pondering and measuring, and deciding to keep going with this as factory as possible install theme... did some work tonight on the sail panels. Fingers crossed, as I really hope this idea works.

The Image Dynamics XS28 tweeters are pretty hefty. Larger than a Morel MT22 even.

This is the flush trim ring that comes with them:

And this is what they look like after some minor surgery:

The tweeters thread onto the trim piece, and there is another piece that thread onto the back to hold them in an A pillar or other mounting material. After unsuccessfully attempting surgery on the other piece, decided to separate the threaded barrel from the grille mounting surface. Why? Because the tweeters just barely miss fitting into the stock opening. They do however fit perfect, if they could be mounted from behind the ring. So, how do we accomplish that? This is my idea:

Whipped up a batch of the good stuff:

And now, we wait. Hopefully the adhesive works, and can just screw the tweeters right into the factory spot. Will figure out the grille option once we know whether this works or not. The XS28 grille almost fits into the lip around the factory opening, so may massage it just a bit in order for them to sit snugly.

3. Back To Top    #53
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Early morning tests confirm, it worked! They held very well, no spinning while trying to tighten into the mounts, flexing, cracking, nothing. So now, we move on to modifying some grilles

4. Back To Top    #54
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

So it turns out that the rear retaining ring on the tweeters happens to be the same inside diameter as the factory sail panels:

And here is where the grille just barely doesn't work in that spot:

So, using that ring as a template, along with a pair of mini pliers, folded the bottom inwards, then back out to create a flange on the XS28 grille, that fits much better:

It actually snaps into place on the retaining ring. I'm not sure it will do that on the sail panels though, probably will use some butyl adhesive just for extra holding power (especially when closing the doors and such)

5. Back To Top    #55
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Not exactly what I hoped for, but they'll work:

6. Back To Top    #56
    Vehicle
    2023 Mazda CX-5

those look great! keep it goin'

7. Back To Top    #57
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Soooo, maybe, kinda, sorta... wanted to try another direction with the subwoofer

Compared to the IDQ 12:

8. Back To Top    #58
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Decided to tear into the Jeep a bit more this morning. Got the spare tire tray and all out to find, whaaaaattttt?!?! An awesome location to hide amps and such, if you don't have the Quadra Lift Air Suspension. But if you do, well you get this nifty shiny silver air tank there instead:

Great. Ok, whatever. Moving on. Passenger side panel removed:

Ok, one, two, three nuts securing it. Remove them, unplug the harness, and here ya go:

Well what's behind here I wonder?

Do you think it's supposed to be spread out into the cavity, or neatly rolled up like this?

Pretty good amount of room in there:

9. Back To Top    #59
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

So, who else is wondering what I'm wondering...

Yup yup yup:

It's possible... a bit of engineering involved, but definitely a possibility. This piece wouldn't be difficult to cut at all for even more room, and doesn't seem to do anything structurally (it's very flimsy if you wiggle the center section):

Ok, cool. What about the other side?

Amps could possibly fit here, right?

Uhhhh, no. Not where I wanted them anyways. Wanted to hide them behind the carpeted section, and build a mesh vent there instead to cover both. But:

As you can see, the amps put together are a bit lengthy. Not only that, but they don't seem to fit down into this space either between the wheelwell and panel:

Well, crud. Now what? Vertically, replacing the factory amp?

Nope, not enough depth:

10. Back To Top    #60
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Anybody got an idea on where they could go?

Or another 6 channels plus single sub channel options?