Thread: 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland Install

1. Back To Top    #111
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Re: 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland Install

Quote Originally Posted by chithead View Post
    Well, kind of. Seems like midrange has improved a bit. Cymbals and guitar seem, "meaty" - definitely have more bite and crash to them... But that midbass... man. Seems like one of those you don't miss it, until it's gone. Now I'm really torn. Go with the 6.5's to keep that midrange that did seem to be lacking just a little bit... or lean back towards the midbass...
    How much depth do you have?
    Kenwood DDX9903S, Arc PS-8 w/PSC, Arc Audio 1200.6, Helix SPXL1000, Audiofrog GB12D4(2) IB, GB60, GB25, GB10

2. Back To Top    #112
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Quote Originally Posted by beak81champ View Post
    How much depth do you have?
    I know how we can find out...

There is actually quite a bit. Just restricted to that 6x9 oval shape.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

3. Back To Top    #113

Maybe you had a faulty X69 driver from the start... Who knows, if you find another pair of X69, maybe you will have your midbass and that sweet midrange

Kelvin

4. Back To Top    #114
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

I did find another pair, but can't help wondering if this is going to be an issue again. With them rusting and locking up.

5. Back To Top    #115
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Alright, you talked me into it. Found another pair for quite a bit less. They are listed as New, and sure look it. We'll take a chance. But, I'm also picking up some 6x9" foam baffles instead of trying to use those 6.5" ones. Maybe a little extra moisture protection will help prolong the life.

6. Back To Top    #116
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

It's not like you don't have a spare xs69 laying around.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

7. Back To Top    #117
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

New XS69 woofers arrived, installed them yesterday. Also picked up some 6x9 baffles instead of the 6.5" I used before. Hopefully, provide more rain coverage to protect these from rusting like that other one:

8. Back To Top    #118
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Decided to try something different with the IDMAX:

Double baffle, bottom baffle has both openings cut out into it to get as much air into the wheel well cavity as possible. IDMAX is secured via 2 inch screws, with a one inch washer on the backside to prevent ripping out of the MDF. Mounted to the vehicle via the factory locations:

She sounds, different. Bass seems so natural. Like, way too natural. The seat bottom vibrates now instead of the seat back, and bass extension seems to be crazy low. But where I had the midbass crossed higher with the previous sub in an enclosure, seems like the crossover point will need to be moved down a bit to mate up better. Can't offer much opinion just yet on whether I like this or not. Guess that's what an, "SQ" oriented install is supposed to sound like? Just an odd sound from what I am accustomed to.

9. Back To Top    #119
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Still can't decide if I like this or not. Listened to quite a few tracks on my Corsair HS70 headphones last night. Are they audiophile by any means? I dunno. But they sound good. Darn good. I enjoy them better than most of the Sennheiser and Audio-Technica in my collection. Right on par with these Master and Dynamic MH30 I have. You can definitely hear bass. Lots of bass. Head bobbing bass. But in the Jeep right now, there is none of that. It's just, odd. Turn the sub off, and you can tell a difference. But when it's on, just kind of disappears into the music. Lowered the crossover of the midbass to 63Hz, and brought the sub up to the same frequency. Used some Noico thin dampener around the edge of the baffle to try and seal any air that may have been leaking out around the foam weatherstripping I used around the sub and sheet metal. One of those definitely helped, got quite a bit more, "punch" doing that. But still, no exaggerated, bloated, gut wrenching bass.

Listening to a track I've become quite familiar with, Arlissa - Every Time I Breathe - the bass on that track would shake the seat back a bit, and now that's gone. It's just this low low kick, thump, rumble, kick, thump, gone.

Halsey - Without Me - man. With that Ground Zero 15 ported, could probably do a small hair trick before. But you just get low rumble again now. The kick drum though is solid. Thump, gone. Thump, gone. Thump, rumbling arpeggio, gone. No overhang or anything. Maybe that's what I'm used to, the big boomy overhang, and just missing it?

Scrolled over to Ozzy Osbourne - No More Tears - that bass guitar intro, you get the plucks, solid, bada doom doom, bada doom doom, bada doom doom - just crazy realistic, then the drum comes, sharp snap of the snare, and then the bass drum, solid, and up front. The floor vibrates under your foot, not the seat. It's just way different bass with the IDMAX mounted in this configuration.

Guess it's just a decision now if this is what I really want. May spend a few days listening more before yanking this out and just going with an enclosure. I mean, if the goal was to reproduce music as naturally as possible, then this is definitely doing it. But, only if you're sitting still. Driving, still losing a lot of output compared to other setups. Can't help wondering if road noise inside the fender well could be causing cancellations.

10. Back To Top    #120
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

There are no cancellations, chithead.
    The bass from two ten inch IDMAX in a "Decware" W. O. 32" , folded horn is very similar to your current configuration, except, this is in my living room with a 1,000 watts { so seamless and integrates beautifully with a YAS-108 (which plays 50 Hz and up) , no bloat, overhang, "fake tub thump" .

Your sub is in the zone!

Now. . . Bring on your midbass ( 8`s/10`s) and the hit in the chest ! ! !
    Last edited by Hic; 05-22-2019 at 07:50 AM.
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]