Thread: How to Add 2nd Aux to 2010 Honda Element

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    2010 Honda Element MT

How to Add 2nd Aux to 2010 Honda Element

2010 Element. Stock radio with no Nav.

New to this thread which learned of from BgAl205 and his posts on ElementOwnersForum.

I want to add a 2nd (or instead,TBD) aux-in. The OEM one is on the passenger side; I need one on the driver side. I'd like to connect the two wires from the 3rd party 3.5mm port I bought for the dash to the back of the radio. But in the photo below of the back of my radio, where exactly do I connect those two wires? I have looked and have yet to find anything specific. Maybe there is a harness like the Scosche HAAXB. But this does not fit a 2010.
    Thank you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	radio wiring.jpg 
Views:	723 
Size:	3.08 MB 
ID:	6417

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: How to Add 2nd Aux to 2010 Honda Element

First of all, welcome to the community!

I only have the schematic for a 2008, but assuming nothing changed for 09/10, there should be a 6-wire harness with yellow, blue, green white, brown, and light green with red tracer.

The green is the signal negative, white is left channel positive, and brown is right channel positive. The yellow wire (positive) and Blue wire (negative) is the auxiliary detection circuit which tells the radio that something is plugged in and it should switch to AUX mode. Light green/red is just a shield.

I don't think your two-wire port will work. First of all, it wouldn't be stereo...and secondly, it wouldn't have any way to tell the radio that something's plugged up.

You may have to get a stereo 3-conductor jack to splice in, and maybe put a switch beside it to fool the sensor circuit in switching to AUX mode.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    2010 Honda Element MT

Re: How to Add 2nd Aux to 2010 Honda Element

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    First of all, welcome to the community!

I only have the schematic for a 2008, but assuming nothing changed for 09/10, there should be a 6-wire harness with yellow, blue, green white, brown, and light green with red tracer.

The green is the signal negative, white is left channel positive, and brown is right channel positive. The yellow wire (positive) and Blue wire (negative) is the auxiliary detection circuit which tells the radio that something is plugged in and it should switch to AUX mode. Light green/red is just a shield.

I don't think your two-wire port will work. First of all, it wouldn't be stereo...and secondly, it wouldn't have any way to tell the radio that something's plugged up.

You may have to get a stereo 3-conductor jack to splice in, and maybe put a switch beside it to fool the sensor circuit in switching to AUX mode.
    ------------------
    Thanks, BigAl. Could you post / send the schematic? My manual ("2007-2010 Service Manual Vol. 2") shows only a 5-wire connector(please see attached scan).

Name:	Srvce Manual Aux Jack Info Schematic.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	251.3 KB 
ID:	6419

I had already ordered a Philmore 70-534 3.5mm 3-connector jack. Where would I connect the 3rd connector on that jack? I just read that maybe I need a "3.5mm closed circuit stereo jack." Yikes.

Name:	Philmore 70-534 3.5mm 3-Connector Stereo Jack.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	6421
    TIA
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	radio wiring.jpg 
Views:	425 
Size:	3.08 MB 
ID:	6420