Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wish upon a 2010 Tacoma TRD Off Road

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: Wish upon a 2010 Tacoma TRD Off Road

solder is preferred method[/QUOTE]

THIS

2. Back To Top    #12

Diymobile led me to believe crimping was better. I don't think it is either, I did for maybe a few days and didn't crimp anything so no harm lol.
    When I solder I push the two wires into each other at their ends, twist all of it tight and solder the entire thing in a light coating all over. However, according to a diymobile thread started by some guy who's a pro at everything involving soldering/crimping... crimping leads to less resistance for the wire. Anyway let's not let this thread derail into a crimping vs soldering debate. I believe both are adequate ways to do it in all honesty.

Does anyone have reccomendations for removing scratches from bare aluminium? I have a few scratches on my amplifiers.

I plan on making a stellar beautiful amplifier rack/box so it looks so awesome when I put the final coat of oem black paint over it. Would I do this with chopped fiberglass? I think I should at least start with a few layers of chopped fiberglass. And then possibly move onto something that would give a perfectly flat surface, or will chopped fiberglass give me a perfectly flat surface? I was thinking of purchasing this all from https://www.fibreglast.com/

I do need help with sound deadening. I have clv throughout the truck, and it was GT mat 50mil. Should I get rid of this and use a different clv? What should be the rest of my sound barriers? Has anyone found success making their own fast rings to go around speakers?

Also one update on the box. I made an absolute squeeze of an insert for the Sundown SD3 D2 to sit in, literally was tightening the mdf as it went in and it was all perfect making my own circle jig out of a piece of mdf. Hopefully next time I work on it tomorrow I remember to take photos.
    Impressing hot tail with my audio.

3. Back To Top    #13
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

I plan on making a stellar beautiful amplifier rack/box so it looks so awesome when I put the final coat of oem black paint over it. Would I do this with chopped fiberglass? I think I should at least start with a few layers of chopped fiberglass. And then possibly move onto something that would give a perfectly flat surface, or will chopped fiberglass give me a perfectly flat surface?
    Hopefully next time I work on it tomorrow I remember to take photos.

A fiberglass/filler milkshake as final/top layer .
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

Quote Originally Posted by punkrocker View Post

I do need help with sound deadening. I have clv throughout the truck, and it was GT mat 50mil. Should I get rid of this and use a different clv? What should be the rest of my sound barriers? Has anyone found success making their own fast rings to go around speakers?
    It's CLD (Constrained layer dampener) not clv. Keep the GT mat... no good reason to remove it and put something else down. Read up on this website to understand dampeners, barriers, acoustical treatments and the application for each: www.sounddeadenershowdown.com

IMO,
    Fast rings are overpriced and using the center section of the ring behind your speaker is a bad idea as it can hold moisture. You can do the same thing with cheap weather stripping or window air conditioner foam found at HD or Lowes. I made my own that way for less than $5.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/M-D-3-5-ft-...rstrip/1096097

5. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Truthunter View Post
    It's CLD (Constrained layer dampener) not clv. Keep the GT mat... no good reason to remove it and put something else down. Read up on this website to understand dampeners, barriers, acoustical treatments and the application for each: www.sounddeadenershowdown.com

IMO,
    Fast rings are overpriced and using the center section of the ring behind your speaker is a bad idea as it can hold moisture. You can do the same thing with cheap weather stripping or window air conditioner foam found at HD or Lowes. I made my own that way for less than $5.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/M-D-3-5-ft-...rstrip/1096097
    Thanks for those two links Truthunter.

6. Back To Top    #16

Does anyone know of a build log or a guide to getting a flat glossy finish onto mdf? I keep looking and coming up short each time I look for a guide.

I'm adding another amplifier: Hifonics Zeus Zxx-600.4 for 75w x 4 @4ohm. Just shy of 80W per channel that I need for the rear pair of co-axials and 2-way morel maximo 6 up front. Any ideas if this amplifier is worth it? I mean it is less than $90 and should be just as good as any other amplifier based on the Richard Clark experiment. I plan on using the brutus1616.4 to power midbass. Which will be the sundown neopro v3's in 8" and I might get them in 8ohm for more spl based on their sensitivity however I think I won't due to the fact that they are all ready kind of beasts in themselves. So I'll probably get the 4ohm version and place two in the front kicks and two under the rear seats, unless anyone thinks this is a bad idea? Again the Truck is going to be set up to eq really well for the driver however I'm keeping everything in mind so that I can have it set up so everyone get's a great listening experience in the truck. I do plan on starting with just 4 midbass speakers, two in the kicks and two on a panel that goes over the rear oem compartment under the seats. And I can't find how much airspace these midbass speakers need.

A note on the Richard Clark experiment is that I buy into the fact that two amplifiers will sound different... so I am taking amplifier suggestions.

However, does anyone have any suggestions for a better cheapish amplifier? I wanted one that if something breaks inside the amplifier, which I've never had happen to me although it might I'd be able to work on it myself if it's not under warranty at the time.

I was thinking a 6 channel amplifier would be great for this purchase if I ever manage to go active I could run a 3way up front by fabbing some on axis fiberglass panels. And I'd probably stick a 2-way in the rear doing just about the same.

If I fail in making the box perfect I can always sand it down and carpet over it.
    Also in the future I plan on adding two more sundown sd3 d2's and moving all of the amplifiers into a toolbox. Would adding two more subwoofers on top of my current one give me 6db gain for having two and then I guess 3db gain for the third giving me a total of 9db gain over having just the one?

All over I'm very happy with the build so far.

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

http://www.down4soundshop.com/neopro-v3-8-midrange/

Midrange Speakers won`t play bass/midbass

Some by nines , possibly, [subwoofer].

fs - 30 hZ
    Xmax - 12mm or more
    Last edited by Hic; 03-31-2018 at 12:33 PM.
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

8. Back To Top    #18

Diymobile led me to believe crimping was better.
    It is but it's not going to make enough difference to warrant doing it over.

Does anyone have reccomendations for removing scratches from bare aluminium? I have a few scratches on my amplifiers.
    If it's brushed aluminum some scotch brite will take out light scratches. I would test it on an area that isn't seen first though before doing the entire amp.

9. Back To Top    #19
    Vehicle
    2016 Ford Escape SE & 2020 Nissan Rogue SV

A note on the Richard Clark experiment is that I buy into the fact that two amplifiers will sound different... so I am taking amplifier suggestions.
    If that's the case, you should look him up and see if he'll still conduct the test. You can use your winnings to help finance your build.

At the end of the day, product application is more important than the product itself. (inexpensive equipment applied correctly will sound better than expensive equipment applied incorrectly)

If I fail in making the box perfect I can always sand it down and carpet over it.
    Also in the future I plan on adding two more sundown sd3 d2's and moving all of the amplifiers into a toolbox. Would adding two more subwoofers on top of my current one give me 6db gain for having two and then I guess 3db gain for the third giving me a total of 9db gain over having just the one?
    Simply adding 2 more subwoofers isn't going to give you a 9db increase.

10. Back To Top    #20

Wish upon a 2010 Tacoma TRD Off Road

Anyone think this would be useless in a short amount of time? It has everything except 6v output. However it comes close with 4v.
    It also doesn’t have HD radio, and isn’t cea-2006 compliant. Everything else about it seems like.... a moscani amplifier I suppose.
    Power Acoustik cp-650
    And I’m unsure if it’s 24bit... and I’m pretty sure it doesn’t have rear hdmi for watching dogs on trampolines.
    The search for the budget head unit continues. Has anyone ever had a sony headunit? What is there reputation for double dins?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk