Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wish upon a 2010 Tacoma TRD Off Road

1. Back To Top    #1

Wish upon a 2010 Tacoma TRD Off Road

If anyone has a good reason to own a 2010 Tacoma, I'd like to hear it. To my current opinion it didn't change between 05-10 in body style so I would like a technical reason to know why my Truck is better; it did in 2012.

This Truck can and will hydroplane over mud holes. I warn you. What you might read and view might make you question where car audio ends and an honest hobby begins. A backstory on my fateful Kelly. (Kelly was an 1985 4Runner I drove in High School and I garaged her eventually. One problem Kelly has is she doesn't have airbags. Not a single one. You know how cool an old car is? It's awesome if you want to have your male peers hate you for having something they can't. A unique looking vehicle, that is admittedly... still not going to impress chicks. That was my experience they did find it interesting however only after I had Kelly painted. And for high school she was a fine ride, a dangerous ride however it's best we don't dwell on anything other than some chick I knew once named her and I didn't tell anyone but caraudiojunkies.

I won't describe the system Kelly had however it was embarrassing. The only thing remaining in the latest install is a Hifonics Brutus BRZ1700.1D and I wish I knew of .25 ohm load amps when I bought my RE audio SRX dual 10" 300W rms subs, but I didn't and I installed a 4OHM amplifier with a very basic Alpine single din and JL audio speakers that were the trxc400-CXi. It sounded awesome. Little did I know the difference between SQ and SPL back then. However I guess those subs were sq. And... I took those subwoofers, the pair of RE audio SRX 10" and put them in generic subwoofer box behind my rear seats. I did have to modify the box a little to fit the subwoofers. It worked and I eventually blew a voice coil. Due to "porting them" or whatever. Those were some tough years. I had no subwoofer system, just an amplifier in a box not to be forgotten. And those years are days away from being over. I have a Sundown SD3 D2. I wonder if that hifonics brz1700.1d can keep up. Needing 500w rms I'll be at 600w rms so I'll just play some pink noise... and set my gains. (Again if anybody knows of amplifiers that are built to handle low ohm loads or just information in general... let me know. But I'll give kelly's amplifier a good regards and let her handle my low end for now.
    I purchased 2 different pairs of morel maximo 6's. Both 6.5" (as a 6x9 just isn't "sq" and I didn't want to overpower rear fill. I could've gone with the 6x9 option however I didn't. I could've even saved $10 and bought them from crutchfield. Again, I did not. I did purchase co-axial's for the rear and components for the front. (Where should I mount my crossovers?)

Powering these two sets of speakers is an amplifier I bought while, I guess wanting an amplifier and I bought a Hifonics Brutus BRX1616.4, 1600W rms. (I also purchased a hifonics line driver/equalizer/2 in 6 channels out, and I got lucky there and managed to get an equalizer designed for a 2-way. It has a knob for subs, midbass, midrange, tweeters. and a half dozen crossover choices. If your an old school guy, You could set the eq's to flat and use a dsp and you'll have knobs for those or purchase a different Hifonics HFEQ for a 3-way.) It's just knobs on hand in a very small chassis. And I think I'll mount it somewhere it does get noticed poking out of a single din dash kit, flush of course. It really is cool just having those knobs on deck I guess. (Originally I just wanted a line out put converter and to go back to my stock radio... I was of the opinion cd's were cool. I no longer am and still hadn't googled car audio forum. (The maximo 6 purchase was due to diymobile audio's thread on best component system. I like that they don't have a bright tweeter.)

I was also sold on the Sundown subwoofer due to it reportedly being the absolute best subwoofer that can go behind the rear seats of a double cab Tacoma. Thank you tacomaworld. Sundown won the spl competition for 2017 MECA I believe. And I absolutely have not heard a single watt through the subwoofer yet, I've had it for awhile and I have to thank Marv for helping me build a box over the phone. Marv you really are awesome. I would be lost without your help. Kudos. I've built a box before for Kelly, and I still have Kelly and that box. The new box is really coming along very well. All I need is a router jig and then I'll be ready to seat the faceplate. I took off some inside air space to accommodate for the fact I'm adding a bit with a terminal cup which I plan on silicon sealing with the rest of the box, and I think I'll prime the whole deal with automobile grade paint and give it a flat black on the inside/outside just so it won't absorb moisture. I'm unsure If I'll still use carpet on the box and it'd be nice to have an oem match of the grey used in the Truck, which I don't have. However, a black sand pearl finish might be the ticket... just like the outside of the Truck.

My two amplifiers won't be putting out their full loads so I think I'll be very well off as far as not needing an extra battery or an upgraded alternator. Alas, I decided to purchase a 50 farad rockville audio RCX50D. So... it was comparable in price to other capacitors. Why not? +42 farads comparable.

I also have a "bass equalizer" "bass restorer" etc... Hifonics bxipro2.0 and I'll see how well it plays. And I guess the first thing I'm going to do is tune it to 32hz with pink noise which is what the subwoofer wants for it's port tuning if it was to be ported. Although the sub was designed for sealed enclosures. And I don't think I'll change that "center knob" until someone enlightens me and bestows me with knowledge of spl most bound. The "sweep" I was going to I guess play down to 20hz or whatever it is I hear with pink noise... I do hope I can hear 20hz and it's not just sound pressure. Who knows?
    I'm eq'uing this also with an Alpine cde-133bt that I've messed up. The CD tray doesn't work anymore due to me being me and well it still has a penny inside of it... not sure how to get that out. Or if the CD tray is fixable. The most annoying thing is it has a failed Bluetooth update due to it just being an option to 'begin update' and I thought it would do that through my iPhone. Anyway, apparently there's a file to fix it and for the European sold version you can insert a disc with a file and it'll fix. I tried to properly do the bluetooth update, through bluetooth, with an old version of windows and It didn't take the bait. If you know a fix can you please send me details or possibly know a clue to get me on the right track. If anything when I replace this head unit it will be nice to have it as a back up.
    My next head unit must have:
    apple carplay
    eq options, decent eq options.
    24bit minimum.
    sat nav option, separate from the apple carplay app
    Sirius satellite radio option
    HD radio an absolute must.
    Preferably rear inputs for hdmi, aux, usb,
    6 rca channels for amplifiers.
    Optical out.
    color changing keys.
    I like the buttons on the left and not the bottom.
    My Tacoma dash would probably fit an oversized double din however I haven't measured.
    No need for external switching in the head unit as I can do that with my bank of oem replacement switches. That I plan on putting in the dash somewhere. And it might be under the steering wheel so people don't notice them if they're in the Truck and turn them on by accident.

I plan on finding a spot for my 4 level eq knobs. Probably next to the HFEQ.

This is all going to look gorgeous afterwards and am just waiting to buy a second dash possibly from somebody parting out a Tacoma... so I have two. One to arrange all this, and one to drive with during all that and I also like the ability to put the truck back to stock if need be. None of the truck is modified except for some clv I bought on the cheap, and am unsure of by the way. And putting it back to stock I could sell the dash I make... and move on to a Tundra.

A note on Toyota and their Tacoma. And my old 4Runner:
    One thing I find bizarre, and out right strange is that I know you Toyota. I know you want to sell the Tundra over the Tacoma. So thank you for no options for leather seats... one choice of interior color... a JBL option sound system... I did however acquire the "turd" model. Or 'Toyota racing development' with the towing package which apparently is just almost always sold together. I could rant about my Truck. I could, the only problem is I never do. I didn't want a full size truck. (Full size trucks don't fit well when off-roading however I gotta hand it to them they do pull boats, the only problem with this however is that you have to look else where if you want to pull say a full size horse trailer. So in my opinion Tundra owners... you've proved it. You bought a Tundra over the Tacoma (Enjoy your luxury options from the factory). Of course it had to be a Toyota because Kelly managed to make it since 1985 my next Toyota is going to get there in age. I'm not sure what could make her obsolete as of right now, but I guess it'd be floating cars. And, laugh, sure but why would we keep driving them with wheels when the new ones float... Safety ratings have become obsessive, and it's a good thing. I'm very glad I drive a pretty large Truck with a bunch of airbags, Kelly's only downfall really. I still have Kelly by the way. And no... no I will not let her drive past 35mph again as she lives a good life being the 'Toyota edition truck with a removable rear top. (Just like a 4X4 bare bones jeep.)"

I like parking a midsize truck. I really do... not sure how people handle that extra width lol. Some parking spots sure like walmart, no problem. Perhaps something else like a badly laid out parking lot... idk man. I am very happy with my mid size truck and I guess it was the European in me that made me want to have one over the Tundra.
    Impressing hot tail with my audio.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wish upon a 2010 Tacoma TRD Off Road

Reserved.

3. Back To Top    #3

Reserved for future updates.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Pics or it didn't happen
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm needing a circle jig for the router, stuck for a few days. (Feel free to delete those multi-posts I don't think it's how a build log really works.)

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

Quote Originally Posted by punkrocker View Post
    I'm needing a circle jig for the router, stuck for a few days. (Feel free to delete those multi-posts I don't think it's how a build log really works.)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLpEuqNn07Q
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

7. Back To Top    #7

I think I'll rig something right up for one use out of left over mdf.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

I think this is the most posts this forum has seen in a twenty four hour period in a long time. My mind is blown with all this fresh content

Yeah, I want to see pics too.
    Last edited by Truthunter; 03-23-2018 at 10:44 PM.

9. Back To Top    #9

Is there anyway to create a surface, starting with mdf that will leave me the ability to paint the box/amp rack and have it match the color of the Truck? With a true deep surface without looking like it's a spray painted box.

I was thinking I would fiberglass resin the whole thing and then lay black fiberglass over it. And then spray paint it my oem color. Any faults with this? Better Ideas?

Pics will come I promise... one thing that I'm doing that all of you might not really like and it's so my voltage to the amplifiers isn't too high is I'm using cca through out the install except for speaker wire. Would I have more sq sound if I went with ofc? It's just my gains are all ready going to be so low... I might just buy the knukonceptz kandy irregardless however it wouldn't be that expensive and would look so sick in the install.

Any suggestions for the best place to buy ferrules? I have some and overpaid for them off ebay/amazon and eh it'd be nice to know where to actually buy them. All I need left is a single 2awg ferrule, although it'd be nice to have a few to spare.

Do you guys think there would be a problem running the bxipro2.0 and the hifonics hfeq off the radio power? The manual does suggest it and I wouldn't have to worry about so many rca's coiled up in the back. Anyway's, what's the best way to power these two? Would using a small distribution block be best or could I just t-tap? I believe the hfeq for example only draws 0.1amps.

I soldered the radio in, and I'm thinking of re-doing that with crimp connections as it's more reliable and leads to less resistance.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

don't worry about cca wire
    use a terminal block for power
    use rcas for signal, much cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by punkrocker View Post

I soldered the radio in, and I'm thinking of re-doing that with crimp connections as it's more reliable and leads to less resistance.

solder is preferred method