2. Back To Top    #22
    Vehicle
    2023 Mazda CX-5

Re: 2017 Nissan Altima

3. Back To Top    #23
    Vehicle
    2023 Mazda CX-5

did a thing this weekend, finished up today with a new kit (metra sucked, bad fit - this one is american international, fits much better and paint is a nicer finish). i'm debating on whether to try to paint it flat black to match the rest of the trim, nissan changed these to flat back instead of gloss black in 2016 but none of the dash kits were updated. it doesn't look too bad now and i suspect if i try to match it, i will end up needing to repaint the a/c control trim & the U trim around the whole stack on the top part where it goes from silver to black, else i'll have a mismatch...

alpine ilx-107! i was debating between this and the sony xav-ax5000, i ultimately knew i wanted the alpine since it does wireless carplay but was having a hard time justifying the price difference ($700 vs $350 for the sony) - the day i went on crutchfield to order, they had the alpine available as a scratch & dent for $500 so i ordered it up. as far as i can tell the thing is brand new, there's no scratches or dents on the unit itself or on the packaging and everything was packaged/sealed like it came straight from the factory. functionally i really like it so far, the screen is nice and bright, and capacitive touch is so much better than the resistive screen on the pioneer i had in my fit.

i need to retune, may get to that tomorrow. the factory head unit definitely did some weird things to the sound, not just to the response curve but i also found when plugging this in that the left side was now much louder than the right side...kind of strange. i was always lacking a bit of midbass previously which i suspected was from the head unit and can confirm that was the case now, so that's nice.

next step is likely going to be changing the subs, may be another month or two before i order them. debating on what to get but i'm thinking either a pair of dayton ultimax 15's to run ib, or maybe an audiofrog gb12 ported...

4. Back To Top    #24
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

That looks great! No need to paint.
    Kenwood DDX9903S, Arc PS-8 w/PSC, Arc Audio 1200.6, Helix SPXL1000, Audiofrog GB12D4(2) IB, GB60, GB25, GB10

5. Back To Top    #25
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Serieus,
    Love Alpine, matte black might look nice, if you paint it.
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

6. Back To Top    #26

Quote Originally Posted by Serieus View Post
    did a thing this weekend, finished up today with a new kit (metra sucked, bad fit - this one is american international, fits much better and paint is a nicer finish). i'm debating on whether to try to paint it flat black to match the rest of the trim, nissan changed these to flat back instead of gloss black in 2016 but none of the dash kits were updated. it doesn't look too bad now and i suspect if i try to match it, i will end up needing to repaint the a/c control trim & the U trim around the whole stack on the top part where it goes from silver to black, else i'll have a mismatch...

alpine ilx-107! i was debating between this and the sony xav-ax5000, i ultimately knew i wanted the alpine since it does wireless carplay but was having a hard time justifying the price difference ($700 vs $350 for the sony) - the day i went on crutchfield to order, they had the alpine available as a scratch & dent for $500 so i ordered it up. as far as i can tell the thing is brand new, there's no scratches or dents on the unit itself or on the packaging and everything was packaged/sealed like it came straight from the factory. functionally i really like it so far, the screen is nice and bright, and capacitive touch is so mcdvoice much better than the resistive screen on the pioneer i had in my fit.

i need to retune, may get to that tomorrow. the factory head unit definitely did some weird things to the sound, not just to the response curve but i also found when plugging this in that the left side was now much louder than the right side...kind of strange. i was always lacking a bit of midbass previously which i suspected was from the head unit and can confirm that was the case now, so that's nice.

next step is likely going to be changing the subs, may be another month or two before i order them. debating on what to get but i'm thinking either a pair of dayton ultimax 15's to run ib, or maybe an audiofrog gb12 ported...
    An audiofrog gb12 ported would be fine

7. Back To Top    #27
    Vehicle
    2023 Mazda CX-5

this came today...

having used it for awhile now (nearly 2 years), i've decided that the dsr1 (for my purposes) is absolute trash.

the dayton isn't as capable as some others, but should be plenty for me for the time being, and certainly seems to be much easier to work with than the dsr1. excited to be able to really start tuning with this thing.

more to come soon.

8. Back To Top    #28
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

Quote Originally Posted by Serieus View Post
    the dayton isn't as capable as some others, but should be plenty for me for the time being, and certainly seems to be much easier to work with than the dsr1.
    Maybe not but the price is right and IMO it does 95% of what you need.
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

9. Back To Top    #29
    Vehicle
    2023 Mazda CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by Notloudenuf View Post
    Maybe not but the price is right and IMO it does 95% of what you need.
    agreed! definitely no complaints out of me, it has more than enough at the price point.

wired it up and installed yesterday, and got a quick tune in place. initial impressions are good, software is straightforward, no real complaints...and i was able to get rid of the little bit of hiss i had with the dsr1. i think i could have fixed that by running through the dsr1 setup process again and changing the input voltage setting, but was having issues with that clearing my settings & the presets didn't always function correctly (didn't always move over all the settings), so i just dealt with it. may do some more in depth tuning later today.

10. Back To Top    #30
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

That is good to hear! Or read... you know what I mean.
    Are you not entertained?!?!