Thread: New AR toy

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

New AR toy

I just purchased a new toy, mostly bcuz we have Mike Madigan running our state, and I知 not sure how much longer I could wait and still be able to buy one. I know a lot of you kids are super into, and very knowledgeable about tactical items, so I値l be bugging you as much as I did while researching my system.

I bought the Savage MSR 15 Recon, 5.56/.223, and for starters I知 asking what your recommendations are for the basics: best cases to carry everything, best value on ammo for target shooting, best reflex/holographic sight under $200, etc.

I am mostly a hunter when it comes to shooting, so target/sport shooting will be a whole new can of worms for me. Any assistance would be much appreciated. Thanks dudes/dudettes.
    Kenwood DDX9903S, Arc PS-8 w/PSC, Arc Audio 1200.6, Helix SPXL1000, Audiofrog GB12D4(2) IB, GB60, GB25, GB10

2. Back To Top    #2

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Re: New AR toy

Do you use that Vortex sight, Al? Thanks for the hookups!
    Kenwood DDX9903S, Arc PS-8 w/PSC, Arc Audio 1200.6, Helix SPXL1000, Audiofrog GB12D4(2) IB, GB60, GB25, GB10

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Bob
    Vehicle
    2007 Exploder XLT

vortex optics are amazing. I have a pair of vortex binoculars. Absolutely love them.
    Follow me on Instagram at #bobditts

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by beak81champ View Post
    best value on ammo for target shooting
    My AR has a pretty decent barrel but a shitty shooter. That being said it likes Remington UMC and IMI 5.56 both 55 grain the best for lesser expensive ammo. They both give me ~2" 5 round groups at 100 yards which isn't too bad for the cost. I have only tried some of the cheaper stuff than that, my rifle doesn't seem to do as well with it. I only buy when it is on sale. I'm a bit pissed that I bought a bunch of audio gear in the last two weeks because the IMI was on sale for .24 a round shipped for a case of 1200 last week.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

From what I’ve read, mine will group ~3”, 5 rounds using regular Federal ammo, but will group at under 1” using Federal Match grade ammo. I’m not near that good of a shot, but I can hit a paper plate with a deer slug 5 out of 5 times at 100 yards. I just want to be able to hit center mass from 100 on in, just in case I ever have to drive up to Chicago, lol!

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Using a .223 may gain you valuable tracking experience !

A slug will put plenty of venison in your freezer. My friends wife couldn't even tell if she hit deer ( she had ) and we found it next day after a few hours [ Head shot ] might have dropped it !
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?、Somewhere 0ut There、}]

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Chris B
    Vehicle
    2019 Japanese 4dr Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by Hic View Post
    Using a .223 may gain you valuable tracking experience !

A slug will put plenty of venison in your freezer. My friends wife couldn't even tell if she hit deer ( she had ) and we found it next day after a few hours [ Head shot ] might have dropped it !
    Head or neck shots are all I've ever done while deer hunting. I've taken them with .223, 7.62x39, .308, 12 gauge 00 buck, and .45 ACP. Granted, the one I took with a .45 was while duck hunting and the poor doe decided to swim right in front of the blind.

One of my friends once asked me why I went for head or neck shots. My reason is twofold, one being it is more of a challenge and the second being I hate tracking. I prefer a dead right there animal versus having to track it.
    2019 WRX Limited - Stock HK for now while waiting on parts to be developed...

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

No shooting deer in water in MI, and if you see a buck mating , let him finish , Please (sportsmanship)
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?、Somewhere 0ut There、}]

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Only rifle hunting in Illinois is muzzle loader. I bought one, along with all the shit to shoot with, and have never shot it! That was about 5 years ago...