Thread: Frequency humps and dips

1. Back To Top    #21
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Re: Frequency humps and dips

Quote Originally Posted by cajunner View Post
    This has the benefit of mating the dispersion of the tweeter's beaming with the woofer's beaming, or basically, it was like aiming two flashlights. By turning the speaker, you could get both directivity patterns to coincide, or mesh at some point in the speaker's axis.

I could see the benefits of a co-axial design for the point-source of them, beaming of the pattern would be if you pushed the limits at x-over points (I think ).

I own a set of MR62's

Features Common to all RPM Stage II Speakers are:

• Polypropylene cone for durability, weather resistance and low distortion

• Patented NRT neodymium magnet structures for high excursion, extended bass response, low distortion and high power handling

• Rubber surrounds for deep bass and long life

• Hi-fidelity quality, soft-dome tweeters in all configurations for extended and smooth high frequency response

• High-grade steel frames provide universal mounting as well as strength to avoid flexing

• Shallow mounting depth to fit most common vehicles
    6 x 9" 2-way Coaxial Speaker System
    The RPM6900 features a 1" soft dome tweeter.
    Frequency Response: 28 Hz - 30 kHz.
    Peak power: 240 W.
    Continuous power: 60 W.
    Impedance: 4 ohms.
    Sensitivity: 92 dB @ 1 watt/1 meter.
    Includes grilles
    Last edited by Hic; 08-23-2013 at 08:31 AM.
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

2. Back To Top    #22

Quote Originally Posted by Hic View Post
    I could see the benefits of a co-axial design for the point-source of them, beaming of the pattern would be if you pushed the limits at x-over points (I think ).
    braxial is off, time-wise but it's not far enough to matter considering the distance to centers.

what an MR braxial has is an angled tweeter, and I guess the JBL Gti braxials are in this same camp, I believe they also have the angled tweeter, and when you place the speaker "square" into a round mounting location, (for the non-oval types) the tweeter will face up into the cabin, it will drill a beaming hole across the cabin above the other speaker by the amount of angle it's set at.

so, you have the mid cone beaming into the cabin on a vertical, directly across at higher frequencies, and this little tweeter beam, shooting into the window across.

turn the speaker to the right, (driver side) and the angle on the tweeter is now pointing into the windshield, or opposite dash.

turn the speaker left, and the tweeter is pointed towards the passenger's head, a little more and.. well, it's an arc of directivity. You turn the speaker, and the tweeter will follow this arc so that you can make the wavefront of the midrange and the tweeter coincide.

it's not that intuitive, you have to picture it in position and it's hard to make ad copy out of, but it's a design technique that used correctly, pays off big, especially since the whole complication of designing a passive is simplified to the one-case scenario.

You literally can simplify the crossover's schematic and element count, based on the known quantity of where the tweeter is going to be firing from.

This naturally, only works well in positions where obstructions are not an issue, like above the knees in the doors.

I imagine it also would work in a way, to reduce reflection issues in a 4" braxial in the A-pillars, by turning the mounted speaker so the tweeter's angle is focused optimally away from near-surface reflection areas.

You don't see this kind of speaker much anymore, I think. It's different from a bayonet, or post mounted tweeter that's angled, in that the braxial design gives you an adjustment range by rotation, for both time-aligning and what I'm saying here, pattern or directivity control.

3. Back To Top    #23

On axis.......check, pretty close anyways....

4. Back To Top    #24
    Real Name
    Tommy Woosey
    Ophoven, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany, Germany
    Vehicle
    Mazda MX5 10th AE 5300/7500

Quote Originally Posted by claydo View Post
    On axis.......check, pretty close anyways....

looks like the left side is about 30 degrees or more off axis...

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

5. Back To Top    #25
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

claydo,

How's that working in an automobile ? You happy with the sound ? Have you heard anything that sounded better ?
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

6. Back To Top    #26

Quote Originally Posted by WOOSEY View Post
    looks like the left side is about 30 degrees or more off axis...

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
    Aww, picky picky.......but yea, they are actually are aimed to cross at about 6" in front of the right side of your head......if ya want to get all technical!

7. Back To Top    #27

claydo,

How's that working in an automobile ? You happy with the sound ? Have you heard anything that sounded better ?
    Its working great hic, its by far the best I've ever had. The width is good, height good, biggest challenge has been depth.......not the front of the stage depth, its right on the windshield, but getting it to extend out past the Hood has been a challenge......the best thing about it is the adjustable nature of the mounting system, I've been amazed several times at the improvements I've made with slight angle adjustments, that has really helped the tuning come a long way, and as you know most speaker installations are fixed......once installed you have what you have......with these I have a shimming method for toe in, toe out....and probably 30° or more in up down angle........I can't begin to tell you how much that has helped. Yes, I've heard technically better, more pleasing to me?.......nope....

8. Back To Top    #28
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2016 Transit Connect

claydo,

I can attest that it works very well in Clays vehicle. The only thing that setups like this consistently lack (IME) is stage width on the left side. It's very hard to achieve a wide balanced stage with this setup. But center image and tonality can be extremely good and Clay has done an excellent job of that in his install/tuning.

9. Back To Top    #29

Well, my thanks doesent seem to be working........ so ill just say it, thanks capn!

Ok, came back later and now its working. Good, that makes it all official!
    Last edited by claydo; 09-19-2013 at 07:55 PM.

10. Back To Top    #30

Quote Originally Posted by captainobvious View Post
    The only thing that setups like this consistently lack (IME) is stage width on the left side..
    I've actually found the opposite to be the case. My width actually increased all around.
    -- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
    https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/