Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Frequency humps and dips

1. Back To Top    #1

Frequency humps and dips

Ok, my turn I guess. Let's discuss what exactly in a car causes spikes and dropouts in a car. I KNOW every vehicle has them.

For those who don't know I have a 2001 Accord 2 dr with an 8" sub/midbass in each door, a mid in the kicks and tweeters in the factory dash locations. To somewhat mitigate the 315 Hz suckout, I moved the xover point to around 400 Hz. I know Kirk has an Acura TL (same basic car) and he has the same 80 Hz hump (his mids are in the doors) which leads me to believe that location is causing the hump. Would be interested to hear other peoples thoughts, experiences, and observations.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: Frequency humps and dips

I'm curious to take some measurements to see how the windows affect the output. I had brought up the idea of doing some plots with the windows either open or covered in such a way that they are not an issue, and compare it to a plot with the windows closed (exposed). I know that you can't really do very much to counteract glass, but until you eliminate them from the equation, you can't see what other problems exist.

3. Back To Top    #3

My car sounds VASTLY different with the front windows down

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Yeah, and I'm sure all cars do. My point is if you have a problem with a certain frequency and you attribute it to reflection off the window, it's possible that it's not the window, but an issue elsewhere. How will you know unless you eliminate the window from the equation?

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

My issues, same freq, opposite effect, is caused by the footwell building up. When you remove the console it mostly goes away.

6. Back To Top    #6

I can developed the window thing even further, check it........when I open a window (front) the stage changes, of course already been mentioned....but try this...as I open and close, or make minute changes in size of opening, it changes as well. Its funny because I've tuned my car with open and closed, just for fun, and the changes to the tunes are miniscule...but the changes to the sound are not. The changes in the stage with small increment adjustments to the window level demonstrate just how much reflections are influencing my sound. Its amazing that such small angle changes of the reflective surface, can so dramatically change what you're hearing!

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Does hanging softer surfaces, towels, sweatshirts, et cetera over the hard surfaces noticably change the reflections ?
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

8. Back To Top    #8

I don't know.....ill try and get back.

9. Back To Top    #9

it makes a big difference in the higher freq's. A 1" towel or foam will only absorbs freqs like 3.5 KHz and above if I did my math right, so not much for mids/lows

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Stu
    Vehicle
    '02 Honda Accord

Frequency humps and dips

I have a dip around 300-315hz and I compensated by running my dash speakers down to 250. That took care of that. I also have a suckout at 125hz that I can remedy by flipping polarity on one of my midbasses but then the rest of the midbass bandwidth goes to shit. So I just let my subs handle that. Crossed at 80 hz, 2 15s still retain lots of punch at 125 hz. Just enough in my car to make it sound right.

Sent from my Springfield XD with love!