Thread: Sealed Enclosure Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Exclamation Sealed Enclosure Question

Hello everyone! I am posting again because I received excellent help from my last post.

I am trying to finish a sealed enclosure that was built by a friend of mine. The details are as follows:
    --Sealed box for 2 Pioneer 12s.
    --Volume dimensions fit within required range for those
    specific subs.
    --3/4" MDF all around, double thick front panel
    --2 1/2" Screws every 3"
    --Abundance of wood glue on every seam/connection
    --Appropriate/Adequate internal bracing
    --Looks like clear silicone caulk along all seams
    --Fully carpeted
    --Single Wire terminal

The box is built like a vault. Heavy, sturdy, and sealed all around. I did a smoke check on all external seals and the box is airtight. The only issue I have is with the internal divider that separates the box into 2 identical chambers, 1 for each sub. This divider has a solid seal top, bottom, and back. However, on the front edge where the divider meets the inside of the front panel, there is a small gap. It has been filled with glue and sealant but the seal is not airtight. With both subs installed, I can press on the left sub and the right sub slightly moves. I know the leak is from the forward seal of the divider. Since the box is basically complete, it is impossible for me replace the divider panel with a better fitting one. Also, due to the amount of glue used, the sealant, and the internal bracing, I can't get close enough to the connection to add a filler block to complete the seal.

So here is my question: If I leave it alone with that leak between each chamber, and use it the way it is, will that damage the subs? Keep in mind the full external seal is fantastic and free of any leaks. The only leak is internal, between the 2 chambers. I'm afraid to connect everything and use it as is because I have no idea if that leak between the 2 sub's chambers will cause damage or blow one of the speakers.

Please help...! I need to get this finished and installed so I can have room on my work bench to work on one of my many other projects.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Re: Sealed Enclosure Question

Both speakers need to be wired exactly identically , so that they move in unison or identically. If the wiring is done correctly - these 2 speakers will move in tandem or identically , mirror image!
    You can go for it, low volume until you see and hear that it is working.
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

As long as the signal is mono on both subs then there should not be a problem with a shared rear chamber. If the subs are stereo (L/R) then the two rear chambers should be sealed off separately from each other.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Many boxes don't even have a solid center divider, it's just open bracing. Now if the subs had different characteristics (different model, parameters, or ohm load, etc.), they might fight each other...but as long as they are identical and wired properly, you should be golden.

5. Back To Top    #5

Don't see a problem with having a small leak inside the box...

Kelvin

6. Back To Top    #6

If the attachment worked, it shows an example that matches exactly how the subs are wired. I'm not too familiar with series vs parallel wiring. They are wired together inside the box, with only 1 external wire terminal, connecting to a mono amp.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2_subs_DVC_4_ohm_mono_variation2.jpg 
Views:	667 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	6348