Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2006 Accord build log - KISS?

1. Back To Top    #1

2006 Accord build log - KISS?

Hey guys been lurking more than posting lately since I havent be putting anything together. Got a new car and decided it was time to start something on it.

Well after owning my 95 Integra for right at two years(you can find the modest but done right build on here), it was time to pick up a a daily driver that is a step or two up. While I enjoyed the Integra (Ive always been a Honda/Acura guy), I was ready for something more "grown up".

Ive never felt the need for a brand new car and the newest vehicle Ive ever owned was my 08 Civic Si (build thread also on here LOL). A friend of mine posted up his 2006 Accord V6 sedan which was the rare 6 speed version that I have always wanted. Right at 200k miles and in very good condition inside with normal exterior issues. Knowing this person for 10 years I was very comfortable buying the car and he offered it to me for $3500!! I went ahead and purchased the car and had another friend do the t belt, water pump, serpentine, plugs and ps pump. Should be good for another 100k

Heres a couple of filthy pics(sorry for that and quality):

So that brings me to where I am now. I originally intended to sell all of my gear and put that money towards my show/resto 92 Civic Si that Ive had for a year and a half (will link at the end of this thread since I know Rich (salami) will want to see it, VERY mild audio content lol). But, Seeing that Nick has a MKV coming out and the Arc amp I had is awesome, I decided I wanted to plunge in again on this car as it is very quiet (in my opinion) and I plan to keep it at least a few years.

So right now, I current have the following:

Audible Physics Ram 2A
    Stereo Integrity TM65 MKII
    Stereo Integrity BM MKIV

Arc Audio Xdi V2 1100.5

couple of pics of course:

At this point, Im still collecting gear. I am on the fence about getting a second Xdi V2...either a 600.4 or 450.4. I would do this to get additional power to the mid bass by bridging, and would have 2 extra channels for a tweeter or rear fill in the future. Listing my thoughts below on why I am not sure which one to get.

Pros:

600.4 has the same LED face as my 1100.5 and could make a nice, small amp display if wanted. Also, it is an 1100.5 without the sub channel so I would be able to use one for left and the other for right channels for more stereo separation. 300x2 for the tm65 mkii

450.4 is more compact so if I went with hiding the amps, It could possibly make it easier. It is less expensive by $110 (looking at ebay prices) and would provide 250x2 for the tm65 mkii

Cons:

600.4 is $110 more expensive and 50wpc more when bridging vs the 450.4 which is most likely overkill (but gains can be adjusted) so it may be a waste

450.4 could get the faceplate cover upgrade but its $60ish to look like the higher power Xdi's but that negates the price difference and Im still down 50wpc for mid bass

So if you have some input, Im all for it!

As for DSP...I am pretty set on doing a Helix DSP2 using high level from the OEM head unit. I would add Director and USB input to give a ton of flexibility. Ive never ran an external DSP, the most in depth Ive used was a P99. This will definitely be a new experience but I have made a few friends on here/through the NCSQ meets that I hope to get a solid tune done...probably more by someone other than myself until I learn a bit more.

Next, for install...

I am set on using the 2" in the sail panels. I am HOPING that Mic has some sails for his TSX that will work (still waiting on those pics LOL) which will simplify that portion tremendously. If not, Ill have to look into a audio fab guy around here I can trust to knock that out in a few days...

For the mid bass, I was gung ho for doing kick panels to eliminate door rattles. Started thinking about cost, time involved and how long I may not have my car while theyre fabricated and decided it may not be the best idea to go with custom ones.

After talking with Mic (Mic10is) and Jeremy (turbosleeves I think) It seems that Q-logic kick panels can work very well with some TLC. I trust both of these guys so I am going to give it a go.

I have a pair on order that should be here tomorrow. I plan to stiffen them with fiberglass and deaden with CLD. I ordered 40 tiles from sounddeadenershowdown.com and will use them as necessary since I dont plan to battle doors like my civic lol.

Also on the Q-logic kicks, Im going to use a speaker ring on the backside to clamp the TM65 mkii and brace the plastic. I will be using decoupler as well. Here are the speaker rings I got off ebay (actually pretty nice) that I went ahead and drilled and put T nuts in. Still need to cut the excess off the inside from the T nuts so the basket of the mkii doesnt hit.

this brings it up current and ill do my best to keep it updated. Any input is appreciated. One of my favorite things of this hobby and site is the willingness to help or provide feedback to improve.

lastly, here is my civic build if youre into that or wanna see a glovebox mounted pioneer media player on coaxials lol

https://honda-tech.com/forums/appear...build-3278117/

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2006 Accord build log - KISS?

Had a chance to work on fitting the TM65 in the kick panel. I dont have a huge arsenal of tools at my disposal so finding a good one to make the mounting hole cut was a little tough. After reading previous review of q logics kicks, I was expecting some rather flimsy plastic. I dont know if they revised their designs or just this one in particular, but I can assure you this is some strong stuff lol. I ended up getting a carbide cutting bit for my dremel tool. Traced out the line and cut as best I could. It isnt perfect but its hidden and got the job done. I had to ditch the idea of mounting a ring on the inside of the kick due to lack of space. Plus, the kick itself is stiff enough that Im not worried about it.

Once that was drilled, I did a test mount to make sure that everything was good.

Once I confirmed that, I used some RAAMaudio adhesive backed CCF to make a decoupling gasket on the outside of the grill mount to the kick and on the inside of the grill mount to the speaker.

Mounted that up, used an SDS tile to deaden the panel

And a couple finished pics of the front with the grill on and off. Definitely no room for a larger driver but looks pretty decent.

taking a break before I start the drivers side lol

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Nice progress!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Dirty mother lurker!!! That's awesome, those mids work perfect in the kicks like that. You know I'm voting for a 600.4, mainly because equipment choices this epic deserve a nice install. Something that can be tucked away for daily use, but pull a panel, and wham! Arc goodness drizzling all over like hot and fresh Krispy Kremes. Is the matching Arc PS8 not an option? Just curious. The Helix seems to be a great processor too. And that Director controller is awesome.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

5. Back To Top    #5

Oh snap....the ol qlogic kicks! I used a set of these once a couple of cars ago for mids and tweets....tweets down there never did make me happy, but should work well enough for midbass.....for my mids I used some deadener and aluminum and sealed em up. Do they still come with the plastic grills? If you aren't using them, I'd love to take em off your hands! I've got a pair of them I was planning on using, but one of mine went missing......my dash pods are actually designed to use them, and I can't find the other one for the life of me!

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

If they are reinforced and vented !
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    Nice progress!
    thanks sir!

Quote Originally Posted by chithead View Post
    Dirty mother lurker!!! That's awesome, those mids work perfect in the kicks like that. You know I'm voting for a 600.4, mainly because equipment choices this epic deserve a nice install. Something that can be tucked away for daily use, but pull a panel, and wham! Arc goodness drizzling all over like hot and fresh Krispy Kremes. Is the matching Arc PS8 not an option? Just curious. The Helix seems to be a great processor too. And that Director controller is awesome.
    Thanks Daniel. I decided that I am going to do the 600.4 for the reasons mentioned and Steve at Syracuse Customs is giving me a great deal on one he has As for the Arc PS8...I havent heard much about it in the past few years and from what I have read and seen, the Helix is pretty pain free, no glitches or issues, and the software is easy to tune(plus im going to need some help with it and everyone in the area runs one lol)

Quote Originally Posted by claydo View Post
    Oh snap....the ol qlogic kicks! I used a set of these once a couple of cars ago for mids and tweets....tweets down there never did make me happy, but should work well enough for midbass.....for my mids I used some deadener and aluminum and sealed em up. Do they still come with the plastic grills? If you aren't using them, I'd love to take em off your hands! I've got a pair of them I was planning on using, but one of mine went missing......my dash pods are actually designed to use them, and I can't find the other one for the life of me!
    Hey Clay, I didnt get any grills with them, I bought my grills separate. What size mid are you talking about? I may have some AF ones that could work pending what you need

Quote Originally Posted by Hic View Post
    If they are reinforced and vented !
    definitely debating venting these with some holes into the sheetmetal. Honestly, these are very strong and I didnt see a need to reinforce them with fiberglass. Worst case I can do it later but I dont see them flexing TBH. Was actually pretty surprised at the quality after what I had read over the years...maybe they have updated them?

8. Back To Top    #8

I will have to measure the actual diameter of the grills.....like I said, I built my rings to fit the grills I had from the old qlogic kicks I used years ago.......of course there were two, but when I got ready to slap em on....there was one....dammit. I bought some jl 6w3 grills....and they were way small.......I could press some, but I typically destroy as much material as I get grills out of....

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

I have a few grilles around here Mr. Clay - maybe some of them will work.

Awesome choice on the 600.4!!! Really diggin' this direction you're headed.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

I think I have some grills that maybe came with a set of Audible Physics mids. I'll dig them up and measure them.
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma