Thread: help me spend money

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Bob
    Vehicle
    2007 Exploder XLT

help me spend money

Hi everyone. Been a long time since I've posted a thread. Due to some mishandling during my move earlier in the year, my Yamaha RX-V1700 receiver was damaged. I got a nice chunk of money to replace it and am now looking to simplify things a bit. Im hoping some of you who are up to speed in the HT world can recommend me a product or more to check out based on the following parameters. Thanks!

- $300ish budget
    - 5.1 surround sound
    - Do not require onboard subwoofer power (only a subwoofer pre-out coax)
    - quality product (proven brands)
    - HDMI ins/out
    - at least 40RMS per channel at 8ohm. More the merrier.
    Follow me on Instagram at #bobditts

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: help me spend money

I just got this last month and have been happy with it so far https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    My only requirements were 5.1 and audio return channel (ARC) on the TV HDMI...everything else was just icing on the cake.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Bob
    Vehicle
    2007 Exploder XLT

Thanks Al. I like how it is very plain looking and symmetrical. It says 150W @6ohm / 80W @8ohm. Im guessing that is peak power. I cant find any additional info if it is peak or RMS. Any idea?

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

I don't know for sure, but the specs say 150w @ 6Ω 1kz one channel driven, and 80w @ 8Ω 20-20kz two channels driven. I'm going to assume the 150w is for an MTM center channel, and the 80w is for the rest.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Rich

This may be of some interest to you.
    I had it bookmarked since I am looking to replace my 15 year old Sony.

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...f[]=YAMAHA

6. Back To Top    #6

from what I read, the 150W is an RMS figure but it comes with a 10% THD spec, and it's only at 1 Khz, which is mid band and easier for most amps to drive. Then you add in the lower resistance of 6 ohms, allowing more current to pass. Then it's not a good test of the power supply because it's just one channel driven.

the 80W is also RMS, yet is at a clean THD spec of less than .1%, along with another channel driven? So a more likely realistic figure, and it can do it from 20 to 20K, and only on 8 ohm current, so a better gauge of power supply fitness.

the apples to apples, is to use the 8 ohm spec when looking at other receivers.

This seems typical of HTIB systems, where the Max power is easy to find on a box, but means little when driving full sized speaker complements at concert levels. I am pretty amazed though, at what a recent HTIB purchase gives me in tiny satellite, small sub box returns. I turn it up and there must be some dynamic tone shaping going on, like the Bose circuit, because it gets really loud without obvious break up, Much more than I expected.

and a Samsung unit at that, which is not hardly recognized for output or musicality.

Truth be told, the only reason I bought it was it had sat too long on Walmart's shelf, and the lack of 3-D doomed it even though it came with blue ray functionality. I got it for a song, and it just amazed me. I don't believe the power specs on it either but I am pretty surprised at what I got, and get from a tiny system format in a bedroom application.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Bob
    Vehicle
    2007 Exploder XLT

Whelp, Newegg is having a sale of the Sony unit linked below and I couldnt pass it up. Its simple and nothing fancy. Exactly what I need. Hopefully it performs well.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIAE2J6DU1030

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

The STRn1080 w/Atmos that came out in February is nice, also.
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]