Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2017 Kia Soul

1. Back To Top    #21
    Vehicle
    2023 Mazda CX-5

Re: 2017 Kia Soul

so, the frogs came while i was on vacation over the weekend, i picked them up about an hour ago from the apartment office. i took off work from thursday last week through monday (yesterday) this week, and we drove the soul down to sacramento & then san francisco to visit my girlfriend's parents. the car was great on the trip, super comfortable and surprisingly had good power for going over the mountains, no issues running 70-75 up most of them (the fit struggled with some of these). we averaged 34 mpg for the trip, can't complain there. a little lower than the fit, but on the other hand, it's a more comfortable ride with more space.

anyways, on to the pictures of the frogs!

2. Back To Top    #22
    Vehicle
    2023 Mazda CX-5

and the mids next...

it took me a minute to figure out why the mounting holes on the mids were marked up & seemed to have some residue and such on the basket in places, then i remembered i bought these mids as open box - duh! all looks good, though, and the tweeters are a brand new set i'll do some sound testing on the mids w/ my AVR later, unfortunately don't have any crossovers here to test them out with the tweeters together. they do feel really nice though, i'm excited to get these in the car and playing. all i have left to pick up is some wiring, and i think i'm going to buy some mounting baffles for the doors - crutchfield sent the plastic metra ones but they feel super cheap and thin, think i'm better off getting something made a bit better. i may start working on sub boxes & amp rack this week sometime and get things moving along!

3. Back To Top    #23
    Vehicle
    2023 Mazda CX-5

good times with the holidays! i'm thinking i'll be working on installing everything into the car in the two weeks before christmas, my parents are headed to cancun & i'll be over at their place watching the dogs. it gives me access to a garage, nicer tools than i have & my girlfriend will conveniently be in california at the same time, so no distractions

i finally pulled the tweeter housings off and checked out what i'm working with. i was having a real struggle getting it off, it seems that kia has at some point updated the design slightly - on the cars i've seen online & in crutchfield instructions, just the center piece of the grill comes off. on mine, the whole top black piece comes off from the base of the ring. i feel like it's a better design as it hides any marks you may make on the plastic while prying it off, just wish i would've known that to start with...anyway, here's some pics.

w/ the factory tweeter in place

factory tweeter removed, front view

factory tweeter removed, rear view

the cavity in the dash with tweeter housing removed

new tweeter "test fit" - this would only require some very minor trimming of that plastic. i think i could utilize the factory mounting holes if i mount using backstrap after trimming some of the plastic here.

i'm thinking for the time being, i'll mount the tweeter down in their just firing up like the factory tweeter, and then when good weather comes back 'round i'll decide if i want to move the tweeters and fab something up or leave as-is. my ideal situation is to have the car looking as stock as possible, and this should make it pretty easy to stick with that theme for the time being. i think with that detail worked out, everything should be pretty straight forward. i have a design for what i'm building in the hatch, just need to get it cut & assembled and get things going!

4. Back To Top    #24
    Vehicle
    2023 Mazda CX-5

i had planned to work on this a bunch this week, but it's now wednesday and i've gotten nothing done - i caught pneumonia sometime last week so i've just mostly been relaxing. i was feeling a little better today so i went out and checked some things out in the car, and have a few gripes...

here's the inside of the door - has the nice cover panel so there's no need to cover any access holes, etc. i like this. i don't really like that there's no access aside from the speaker cutout for deadening the outer door skin, but i think that's a pretty minor gripe. pretty shitty paint job inside the door lol, very light in comparison to my last three hondas, but doesn't matter much. the door handle seems to be riveted onto the panel or something, not really sure how to disconnect it (it's covered up by the factory insulation layer on the door skin pretty well) but didn't look at it too much since i'm not doing anything just yet. i can work around it if need be, but seems weird that it doesn't just come right off like others i've seen

close up of the edges of the cover panel, there's actually some kind of gasket sealing it which i guess is nice, no air leakage. should be fairly well sealed for the speaker. also shows how light the paint is around the edges here

whoaaaaaa, wtf is this? there's nothing on the door panel that rubs here, must've happened at the factory

so, kia, please tell me why on earth the speaker plug is on the OUTSIDE of the speaker. fun thing about this, i had ordered some adapters so i wouldn't have to cut the wires, but they don't fit so either the soul in general just has different connectors here, or the 2017's changed (they did change radio harness on the 2017 models for some reason, so it's possible). i think i can still make it work without cutting wires though - looks like the female connector on the speaker itself would be pretty easy to pull out & solder new wires onto. luckily there's a rubber gasket (can see on left side of picture) that i could poke this wire through to get to the back of the new speakers, but just an annoying design

moving to the hatch, i think i have my final design and am planning to build this on saturday.

this is how things will be organized (ignore that the sub boxes aren't rotated the same, lol) - the sub box will be a shared airspace, and will just be a thin & long beam across the back near the seats like that. simple amp rack will be in the center towards the front, i didn't take the dsp out with me for this but it'll be next to the amp. outer dimensions of the box will be roughly 36.75 x 5.5 x 13.5 - depth may change a bit, i haven't played/looked at it too closely. i have about 7.5-8" of space for depth before hitting the factory floor, but that 5.5 gives me a decent amount of airspace with enough mounting depth on the subs, and still allows some breathing room between the subs and the floor (will be downfiring)

also, i was checking stuff out under the hood to see where i was going to put my fuse holder, and noticed this.

here we have a normal headlight bracket, all is well

here we have one that is completely broken off, but the bolt was still tightened down by a fucking monster into nothing for some reason. it takes a special kind of stupid to let that go, but whatever. the part is only $6 (luckily not actually a part of the headlight housing itself) so i'll order that up when i go for an oil change, and it isn't really a huge deal i think - the headlight is still very secure and doesn't budge even when trying to wiggle it, but it's just annoying that a new car came like this. other than that, looks pretty straightforward - i think i found a couple factory bolts i can use for mounting a simple bracket for my fuse holder to right next to the battery, and the big nice grommet is directly behind the battery with good access, should be able to poke a small hole in that and go right through like i did in the fit.

overall, not much progress but it was nice to see what i'll be working with on this. should make for a pretty easy job to get everything done. as for connections to go to the amp/dsp - i ordered the metra 70 & 71 series harnesses (actually two of the 70's, since they don't have all the pins filled, i'll salvage pins off the second harness so i have all the connections made) so it'll be plug and play, no cutting/splicing into the factory wiring itself. when the car goes, just pull my little harness off and everything turns factory again.

5. Back To Top    #25
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

Having the speaker connection on the outside of the bracket is not as rare as it may seem. My 2015 Camry had the connection on the outside of the speaker brackets also. AFAIK, all newer Toyota's do the same. Must be a newer car thing... probably takes a few seconds out of the assembly process to cut down on takt time.

Hope you get to feeling better soon

6. Back To Top    #26
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

Maybe I misread this. Can’t you unbolt the inner skin to get to the outer skin to put deadener on?
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

7. Back To Top    #27
    Vehicle
    2023 Mazda CX-5

yeah, it makes sense from an assembly perspective i think (similar to the phillips screw on rotors on some cars) but just is a bit annoying given my plans to attempt to reuse everything without cutting im sure it'll work out fine though. i believe I have seen it in some other logs as well

for the access panel, i believe on the kias and hyundais that have this thing, you have to pull the window out as well...not really trying to mess with all that

8. Back To Top    #28
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

The carrier plate on some Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeeps are like that too. Seal up nice, but to remove, the window channels are riveted to the plate, so you have to pull the glass to open it all up.

That is awesome with the space you have to work with under the floor there. Will be an awesome install for sure. Stealth, secure, and sounding oh so sweeeeeet
    Are you not entertained?!?!

9. Back To Top    #29

like what I see so far Chris! Should drive it out to the NC meet this spring thanks for the bump on my fs thread too!