Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Kia Soul

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    2023 Mazda CX-5

2017 Kia Soul

i had no plans to touch this car's stereo any time soon, if at all, but daniel is a chithead & a bad influence.

the soul factory stereo, for such an inexpensive car, really impressed me...it's not at all offensive to the ears, imo. it has very lacking bass, imaging isn't great, and there's not a lot of volume, but there's nothing incredibly bad like so many other factory systems. if i had to complain, the tweeters sound pretty bad (but, it does have tweeters! most cars in this range don't) and there's very little low end. that said, it's certainly livable. however, my name is chris, and i have an audio addiction, so i of course have spent entirely too much on things i don't really need.

so, the gear list as it stands now (all ordered & in the mail):
    morel virtus 602 (purchased off diyma)
    2x jl 10w1v3's
    jl rd900/5
    rockford dsr1 processor

i decided pretty early on that i wanted to run morel in this car, for the simple fact that every morel setup i've ever heard has been simply fantastic. i really like that they have plenty of output at their disposal, without being painful. i had originally planned to go with the tempo ultras purchased new, but i found the virtus in the classifieds just before i was going to order the tempo ultras and figured why not get a slightly higher end set for less money?

as for subs, i needed something fairly shallow that would still sound good, without breaking the bank - i also wanted to have good output, preferably two subs, and wanted to go with a sealed box this time...so i figured i wanted to stay under $200 each, and needed under 5" depth as much as possible. the soul has a foam tray under the cargo floor in the hatch that is roughly 7.5-7.75" deep that i'll be using for sub box + amp rack, so i'm trying to keep my box exactly that deep so the standard floor can still slide in and lock as usual. there's not a lot of subs that fit those specs without going up quite a bit in price - i think ideally i would have gone with the jl 10tw3's but they're a bit out of budget to grab two. i was looking between the w0v3 and the w1v3 in the end, and decided on the w1 because it's a smidge shallower & doesn't have a pole vent, so the motor can go right up against the back of the box. i had hopes of being able to run the morel mw 1054's which look to be essentially renamed ultimo sc's for significantly less (link here) since i loved the ultimo 12 so much, but they're just a bit too deep for my needs right now.

on the amp, i was thinking of running an mtx pair from i believe the early 2000's-ish, the mtx thunder6304 & 6500d, which are both collecting dust at my parent's place. the 6304 was in my first car before i replaced it with a pdx-f4, and i remembered that it was fairly easy to kick it into thermal protection, and since these are going to be trapped under the floor i wanted to avoid any heat issues, so i picked what seems to be a solid, efficient amp. also, i really like the look of the rd series & it's nice that these have the clipping indicators for setting gains...just something small that's a bit helpful in a pinch.

plan for the hatch is to have two separate downfiring boxes on either side of the hatch, with the amp & processor in the center. my only concern is not having a ton of room between the sub & floor (i'm guessing maybe 2-2.5" max, probably) but i believe most of the sub will be firing into gaps around the spare tire & into the wheel, so i suspect there may be enough room to not cause any issues there...fingers crossed!! if there are issues i may redesign things at some point and remove the spare, since the car came with a flat tire kit + i have roadside assistance.

anyway...that's that for now! i hope to have some of this started on or before thanksgiving, and the equipment should all be arriving this week aside from the processor which crutchfield says is out of stock till 10-12. i'm really excited to work with the dsr1 and test it out, it seems super enticing being so cheap & having the ability to be tuned via the app which looks to be very functional and intuitive. i'll post some pics of the gear as it comes in, and maybe get to start working on the boxes next week sometime before i head to san francisco on vacation!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Re: 2017 Kia Soul

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uqZqG48.jpg 
Views:	505 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	6217
    Are you not entertained?!?!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

Quote Originally Posted by Serieus View Post
    i decided pretty early on that i wanted to run morel in this car, for the simple fact that every morel setup i've ever heard has been simply fantastic. i really like that they have plenty of output at their disposal, without being painful. i had originally planned to go with the tempo ultras purchased new, but i found the virtus in the classifieds just before i was going to order the tempo ultras and figured why not get a slightly higher end set for less money?
    I'm extremely happy with my virtus 402s. I listened to Virus 602, Tempos, and some alpines & focals on a sound board to determine before I bought. The Virtus just had something special going on compared to the rest... So clear and dynamic sounding. If you look at the construction of the Virtus it is very similar to the Morel Hybrids... Reading Morel's website; the name Virtus means it uses the similar design virtues of the higher lines but without the bling & exotic cone materials. Tempos look constructed like your typical run of the mill speakers. Tempos had a little more midbass extension but I'll take clarity/accuracy over that anyday... besides just run your subs up a little higher and your good. You'll should be very happy with them

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    2023 Mazda CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by Truthunter View Post
    I'm extremely happy with my virtus 402s. I listened to Virus 602, Tempos, and some alpines & focals on a sound board to determine before I bought. The Virtus just had something special going on compared to the rest... So clear and dynamic sounding. If you look at the construction of the Virtus it is very similar to the Morel Hybrids... Reading Morel's website; the name Virtus means it uses the similar design virtues of the higher lines but without the bling & exotic cone materials. Tempos look constructed like your typical run of the mill speakers. Tempos had a little more midbass extension but I'll take clarity/accuracy over that anyday... besides just run your subs up a little higher and your good. You'll should be very happy with them
    that's good to hear! the only other things i was really considering were the focal 165kr's, seems they're discontinued & are heavily discounted @ crutchfield right now. i'm scared of their tweeters though... considered running the audiofrog gs set but just decided to stick with morel. i think in my case the morel tweeter will be a bit easier to build for than the frogs since they're a bit smaller. for the tweeters, this is what the soul has from the factory:
    (not my dash - my car is all black inside)

and i'd like to do something like this, i think:

credits to firebri from diyma for pictures

after my experience in the fit i'm trying to avoid doing upfiring tweeters, definitely was not an optimal situation there.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Dude, that would be awesome!
    Are you not entertained?!?!

6. Back To Top    #6
    Vehicle
    2023 Mazda CX-5

so i got an update from rockford tech support regarding auto-normalization on the inputs (the 3sixty.3 had an auto eq for inputs to flatten out during setup) - the dsr1 does not have that feature, & also can't stream music directly to the processor over bt (i have no idea why you would want to). also doesn't have optical input but i think most everyone has caught that already.

also, crutchfield sent me an email today that my eta on the processor is now 10/12, seems weird since the rest of my order shipped yesterday and is scheduled to arrive 10/12. they also show out of stock & due to arrive on the 12th, so wondering if they have some stock coming in early, but i can't imagine they're upgrading the shipping for free just because i backordered? strange

fingers crossed the soul factory radio doesn't have some ridiculous shit going on with the eq, otherwise i may be buying a head unit too

7. Back To Top    #7
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

but i can't imagine they're upgrading the shipping for free just because i backordered? strange
    Honestly, that seems like exactly something that Crutchfield will do. Customer Service from them is great, I would not be at all surprised if they upgrading your shipping for that reason.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

8. Back To Top    #8
    Vehicle
    2023 Mazda CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by naiku View Post
    Honestly, that seems like exactly something that Crutchfield will do. Customer Service from them is great, I would not be at all surprised if they upgrading your shipping for that reason.
    hmm, they have always treated me well, nothing like this of course but they've been great. i think the email may have been a glitch though, it still shows as out of stock & hasn't shipped so i'm not sure how it could possibly get here tomorrow - no need anyway as i'm not ready for it

i did get the first package, unfortunately it's not audio gear but it's relevant to the build nonetheless.

super cheap saws for building the box...nothing special but should do the trick for this build, probably won't ever be used again afterwards this will be the first box fully built on my own, should be a fun time. i picked up a saw guide so i don't have to make my own and trust factory edges, that should be here tomorrow, and i think most everything else is scheduled to arrive friday. i may work on the box a bit this weekend if i have time & have the box and amp rack designs all squared away.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Rich

so i got an update from rockford tech support regarding auto-normalization on the inputs (the 3sixty.3 had an auto eq for inputs to flatten out during setup) - the dsr1 does not have that feature, & also can't stream music directly to the processor over bt (i have no idea why you would want to). also doesn't have optical input but i think most everyone has caught that already.
    The auto EQ is not a loss in my opinion. On the 360.3 it flattens out the signal but it does it with the same EQ for the outputs. It doesn't make much sense to me since we are generally not looking for a flat end result.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

We need pictures of the car and the equipment pile.
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma