Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Complete system upgrade.

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Eric
    Vehicle
    2000 Chevy Blazer

Complete system upgrade.

So, for years I've been one of those guys who paid the local car audio shop way too much for brands like Kicker, mtx, rf, etc, thinking I had something good.. But that's not the way I'm doing things this time. I just got a new vehicle and I want to get a decent system, one that will blow away my current kicker cvx's and zx1000.1. So I'm starting from scratch. New everything, hu, subs, amp, wiring, and altenator. After tons of reading about products I had never heard of I had to stop dreaming and get back to my budget. Lol. I have some products that are currently at the top of my list. I'm not a rich man, so price is a factor. Subs - 2 American Bass XFL's. Amp - aq2200, or the AB VFL 150.1. So I need some power to push it. I'm doing the big three, but there's a huge question mark at this point. I've found a 250 amp altenator for $160, but it's only 12v. Do I need a 14v altenator, or should I say, will a 14v be beneficial? Also, is there anything else I should do with my electrical system?
    Last edited by Gatorade; 09-29-2017 at 11:52 PM.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Complete system upgrade.

you run a 12V system in your truck, so attempting to change that with some other charging scheme is probably money wasted when you've only got so much to go around.

the High Output alternator you put in, is capable of charging batteries with over 15 volts. The voltage regulator is what keeps that in check, so you don't burn out important things like your ECM and various circuit boards that are made to run in a 12V nominal system.

forget about the BS stuff, just concentrate on using high quality technique, along with attention to detail when installing. Also, use large gauge wiring from the start, don't install with "whatever I had lying around" to see if your various parts "work" because it's way too easy to leave a bunch of stuff connected just because "it's working" instead of doing it right from start to finish.

3. Back To Top    #3

Great advice there caj.....

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

What are your goals? Are you looking to simply give yourself some good low end, or are you wanting an SPL monster? Also, are you looking to compete?

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Eric
    Vehicle
    2000 Chevy Blazer

Good deal, the 12v it is. I bought all new wiring. I went with NVX 100% copper, 1/0 gauge for the big stuff, 8 gauge for the subs. So do I need an upgraded voltage regulator?

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Eric
    Vehicle
    2000 Chevy Blazer

I want a setup that has decent sq at a fairly loud spl level. I just got a new job and there's quite a few bass heads there. They've rekindle an old flame. They're all into this local audio shop and pay crazy amounts of money for RF P3's, and mtx 5500's, one dude has a full Crunch setup, etc. I decided to go another route.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Other people may disagree, but I'd only upgrade the alternator if either you already need a new one, or if you installed the system and the electrical can't keep up (lights dimming, battery keeps going dead, etc)

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

If you watch your headlights against something after dark and they are dimming with every low note played ,, might need a stronger alternator [ alternators used in emergency medical vehicles ( ambulances ) need to run massive electrical loads !

The batteries/batcaps will be what allows you to run 2 of the 1222 subs @ a 1/2 ohm ! What will subs be in [ wall/vented box/sealed box , et cetera ?]

You going to get SPL measured ? Will high 130,s or low 140's be enough ?
    Last edited by Hic; 10-01-2017 at 05:22 AM.
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Eric
    Vehicle
    2000 Chevy Blazer

At this point the only thing I've bought for my new setup is a 4v JVC hu, and my wiring kits. My kicker set-up is in my Mustang, which I'm about to sell. When the Stang goes the buying will get rolling. Once I get started I'll see how my electrical holds up. If it's a problem I'll get the alty. I've already got a big 3 kit so I'm gonna throw that in.
    Last edited by Gatorade; 09-30-2017 at 08:05 PM.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Eric
    Vehicle
    2000 Chevy Blazer

Well, by now you can tell I'm not a car audio guru. I'm studying, but don't even have a steady base to build on yet. Lol. I have came across tons of information about products, and specs. My budget is a major factor, and American Bass seems to have awesome bang for buck qualities with the $175 12" XFL's and a solid amp for around $300 in the VFL 150.1. As soon as my car sells, the car audio purchasing starts. My goal is to start the install next weekend, products in hand. Does anyone have any recommendations for products that might have slipped through the cracks?
    Last edited by Gatorade; 09-30-2017 at 09:15 PM.