Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Windsheild destructive reflection remedies

1. Back To Top    #21
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

Re: Windsheild destructive reflection remedies

Relinked photos... let me know if they are showing up?

Yes, the null is completely reversed!

2. Back To Top    #22
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Nicely done !

I can see em , now .
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

3. Back To Top    #23
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Re: Windshield destructive reflection remedies

Quote Originally Posted by Truthunter View Post
    So I've got my mids mounted in my stock corner of the dash locations in my Camry. They actually sound pretty great overall except for a terrible 1.5khz null as seen here. They are actively high passed at ~250-300hz using the crossover in the amp and low passed at 2200hz using the morel passives. Blue trace is after some eq work through the headunits dsp:

Here is how the speakers reside:

1. Dash Pod

[IMG]http://68.media.tumblr.com/4a06d62f281001e75cf4340e8f07e2c3/tumblr_inline_nkalbgTstD1raoqwm.jpg[/IMG
    Before
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

4. Back To Top    #24
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Was able to do some experimenting. I popped the mids out of their mounts and jammed them between the windshield and dash using some towels; basically on axis:

Here is the resulting RTA comparison; Red is dash mounted, Blue is on axis in towels:

Next experiment is to start playing with tilting up the back of the them (side near the windshield) at several different increasing angle to see if I can find a sweet spot...
    After

5. Back To Top    #25
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

Did some more experimenting tonight. Just tilted the mids about 20-25deg toward cabin.

Response comparisons: RED = original dash mount, GREEN = On axis, BLUE = Tilted toward cabin

I'm really surprised that just tilting the mids slightly like that made such a difference.... I really didn't expect it. Some eq work can bring down the humps in response.

So now I will be trying to figure out a way to permanently tilt the mids toward the cabin on a sealed baffle and make it look nice... I really don't want to get into glassing (I've never done it, I don't have any materials or tools for it, and I'm not really interested in learning it) so I'm going to try and come up with some other method
    Last edited by Truthunter; 09-17-2017 at 09:24 PM. Reason: photo links... not sure wtf is going on... I do it the same everytime

6. Back To Top    #26
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

A round tube made from ? ( pvc , cardboard tube, several rings of wood , glass bottle , flexible metal piping [ exhaust piping semi-trailer] ) and a saw to cut angle [ skill , hacksaw , keyhole , sawzall , etc.., ]. Fiberglass and a piece of material with small popsicle sticks and rings of wood , some glue from a hotmelt glue gun [ craft store items ]. Something to stuff in the enclosure ( batting type material , pillow stuffing , etc.., ]

Could use a 4 inch dryer vent they are round and flexible , anything that circumference is adequate to allow speaker to be enclosed [ think rear wave separated from front wave ].

Some eq smoothing VOILA

Just tilted the mids about 20-25deg toward cabin.

!
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/4-in-Styr...FQwFaQod0pwMHw

This angle is close ,interior matching paint/flocking/wrap with material , etc..,
    Last edited by Hic; 09-19-2017 at 02:27 PM. Reason: $2.43 22 deg elbow

7. Back To Top    #27

didn't Matt have a truck, '90 Chevy? that he did a mild angle with the mid nearly touching the windshield, to give his best reflection vs. no dash pod look, and so many people found it to be highly congruent with SQ...

I think it was red, there was a granite topped console, hard to forget it because I had both a '91 and a '93, and that mild angle was an easy copy... I used a Bose cube for a test enclosure up there in the dash, but it couldn't quite get as good.

There's a lot of people who just dismiss the stock dash location because they don't want to compromise, but even here with a mild tilt the answer is hiding in plain sight, no need for the A-pillar builds, especially with such tools as APL1 and FIR in miniDSP garb, perhaps this is a retro thought process but moving the drivers is probably as good as it gets in the land of no-DSP or graphic, non-parametric head unit signal manipulations.

I am glad for this build and the testing done, corroborating previous attempts that keep the midrange somewhere near stock vicinity, even if a small volcano is waiting for it's turn in the usual spaces...

8. Back To Top    #28
    Real Name
    Robert or Mac
    Vehicle
    2012 Charger RT

Re: Windshield destructive reflection remedies

Yep, and he still has it. You can find the build log on that other forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MASQ partner and judge
    MobileAudioSQ.com

9. Back To Top    #29
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Yes, those are the ones I'm considering as a last resort... really was impressed when I heard them and I believe they play pretty high so won't really miss anything if I replace the tweeters with them.
    Some midranges go up to 10,000 hZ , which is more than enough for my ears , then if you are used to "air or sizzle" a tweeter is called for !

10. Back To Top    #30
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Other than competitors , stock locations are de riguer for the masses. Stage and imaging are way behind convenience ! If you upgrade speakers , the music becomes much more immensely enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunner View Post
    There's a lot of people who just dismiss the stock dash location because they don't want to compromise.

I am glad for this build and the testing done, corroborating previous attempts that keep the midrange somewhere near stock vicinity, even.