Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a 10" sub, would like recommendations and opinions

1. Back To Top    #1

Looking for a 10" sub, would like recommendations and opinions

Hi guys,

I am new, here, and this is my first thread. I am looking for a 10" subwoofer. My system is in a 1991 Honda Accord (love this old car). Head unit is an Eclipse CD8051, front stage is Morel Tempo Ultra 601 two-way components, and the amp is an Arc Audio KS900.6. Currently running passive, but plan on going active in the future. I just recently picked up a Mosconi 6to8 V8 DSP, but not have installed it, yet.

I love the way my music sounds in my car. It jut needs a little extra bass response at low levels. When I crank up the volume, I don't notice any lack of bass (maybe that will change with the new sub?).

Anyhow, I am looking for as high of SQ as I can get for my budget. Not looking to spend more than $500, maybe a few dollars over if it is worth it. So far, I like the Morel Ultimo SC-104 and the Audiofrog GB10D2. I have not listened to either, just read what others have said about them. I was also considering the Stereo Integrity HST-11 MKII (boy, you don't get much info on that site!). However, after delving into that sub, I found that it weighs 70lbs and I figure that is a sub probably for the home market, not the mobile one.

Does anybody have any experience with the Morel or the Audiofrog subs I am considering? Would anybody have any other recommendations I should consider?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Re: Looking for a 10" sub, would like recommendations and opinions

This sub is built using Jacob Fuller's ( Sundown Audio ) , frame and surround .

HST-11 Thiele/Small parameters

Fs 17.7 Hz
    Re 1.8 ohm ( indicates 2 ohm nominal )
    Qes .39
    Qms 9.17
    Qts .37
    Le 2.5 mH
    Sd 56.74 in^2
    Vas 25.6 L
    Bl 18.2
    mms 626 g
    Cms 128
    X-Max 38 mm ( one way linear )
    X-Mech 50 mm ( one way )

Parts Express , UW 1058 is $388.00 , has 5 inch voice coil and I own one .

Sounds excellent to me .

I have approximately 20 subwoofers and currently using 2 twelves and 3 tens to listen to , enclosures are sealed/ported and folded horn.

15 yrs ago did alot more vehicle systems , so have some experience.

Got in bad accident in vehicle in 2005 , 2 years off from work , which was 2nd traumatic brain injury , ended up costing $280,000.00 for insurance company .
    Last edited by Hic; 06-25-2017 at 08:53 AM.
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

I'm running 2 Frog 12D4's IB and I love them! Quick response, tight, and good low end extension.
    Kenwood DDX9903S, Arc PS-8 w/PSC, Arc Audio 1200.6, Helix SPXL1000, Audiofrog GB12D4(2) IB, GB60, GB25, GB10

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Sundown makes " Great " subwoofers , amplifers ... still using em !
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

5. Back To Top    #5

If you want a pure SQ sub that you can run on 500ish watts and won't break the bank, look no further than the Mmats Pro 10. Absolutely amazing little sub, accurate, fast, and plays really low. And at $239 you can afford to try it and see what you think.

https://www.mmatsproaudio.com/product/pro10/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Hic View Post
    This sub is built using Jacob Fuller's ( Sundown Audio ) , frame and surround .

HST-11 Thiele/Small parameters

Fs 17.7 Hz
    Re 1.8 ohm ( indicates 2 ohm nominal )
    Qes .39
    Qms 9.17
    Qts .37
    Le 2.5 mH
    Sd 56.74 in^2
    Vas 25.6 L
    Bl 18.2
    mms 626 g
    Cms 128
    X-Max 38 mm ( one way linear )
    X-Mech 50 mm ( one way )

Parts Express , UW 1058 is $388.00 , has 5 inch voice coil and I own one .

Sounds excellent to me .

I have approximately 20 subwoofers and currently using 2 twelves and 3 tens to listen to , enclosures are sealed/ported and folded horn.

15 yrs ago did alot more vehicle systems , so have some experience.

Got in bad accident in vehicle in 2005 , 2 years off from work , which was 2nd traumatic brain injury , ended up costing $280,000.00 for insurance company .
    I don't know that particular Morel sub. I did find it in the raw driver section of the Morel website. Would you know how it compares in SQ compared to the Ultimo SC-104? Also, how does it compare to the other 10" subs you have and have listened to?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Jonday49 View Post
    If you want a pure SQ sub that you can run on 500ish watts and won't break the bank, look no further than the Mmats Pro 10. Absolutely amazing little sub, accurate, fast, and plays really low. And at $239 you can afford to try it and see what you think.

https://www.mmatsproaudio.com/product/pro10/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. I just recently discovered MMATS. I am, also, looking to get a 6 or 5-channel amp and am strongly considering the Zapco Z-150.6 LX when someone mentioned the MMATS HiFi-6150D. Strongly considered it, but am still heavily leaning towards the Zapco.

I will look into that MMATS sub you recommended. How does it compare to other 10" subs you have heard?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Hic View Post
    Sundown makes " Great " subwoofers , amplifers ... still using em !
    I know Sundown makes great subs, but I've always thought of them as SPL subs

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

I've used an SC124 before and loved it. Was great powered off 500 watts ( Zapco powered too ), never had any complaints.

If you'd really like to try an SC 10", consider this option - Morel MW 1054 Classic Series 10" Subwoofer
    Are you not entertained?!?!

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

I have the 18" version of this and love it http://www.soundqubed.com/HDC3110-Co...ofer_p_13.html
    It's punchy, digs really deep, and is very musical...not boomy. I've always been curious how the smaller versions sound, but for the price, you could afford to experiment.