Build Log
    You measure with REW? Consider donating. I did

2. Back To Top    #72
    Real Name
    Howard
    Vehicle
    Gonzo the Yota 3.0

Re: Chef's Scion xB 2.0

Jason has really knocked this out of the park. I can't recommend him enough.

3. Back To Top    #73

Quote Originally Posted by jowens500 View Post
    When you access to a CNC router, you take full advantage of it. Big shoutout to John Watkins for the CNC work. Thanks a million!
    Next comes 400g sanding, then flat black paint and machine the logo out. Will post pics upon completion.
    Very cool to see another custom ADCOM fan shroud!
    Some intel if I may: there are great benefits not only in cooling capacity of the original fan, but also, noise reduction of the original fan, realized if those shroud holes are opened up!
    And, I am not talking small differences either. I spent considerable time playing around with those shrouds (and a temp-gun) before i landed on my final design.

4. Back To Top    #74
    a boom box is not a toy jowens500's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    1996 Honda Civic 3 Door

Back to the iPad install

I had to cut the bottom of the bezel because the iPad is about an inch bigger than the opening. These are the tabs that hold the factory piece of the bezel I cut off. It will be used as the bottom and I'll blend it back into the bezel.

Some expanded PVC for ends to take up some of the distance.

The other end.

Got to make new corners.

Shaped the PVC to the contour of the factory lower part of the bezel.

Goop on.

I was really afraid the iPad wasn't going to come out, but it did

Quick trim with the Olfa blade.

I really hate sanding.

And the beginning of a new corner.

5. Back To Top    #75
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    1996 Honda Civic 3 Door

Picked up the new Adcom shroud today. Turned out way better than I expected. Now I just need the amp to put it in.....

6. Back To Top    #76
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    1996 Honda Civic 3 Door

I really prefer to make my own signal cable. I've been making cables this exact way for well over 20 years now. They are a total pain in the ass to build, but I love how they look when done and can customize them with any color combination, and length.

Those are the ones from the radio to the PS8. The pair with red heat-shrink is the front output from the radio and the pair with black heat-shrink is the sub.

7. Back To Top    #77
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    1996 Honda Civic 3 Door

Now for the cables from the PS8 to the amps.

Ends used from the PS8 to the amplifiers. I ended up not using the strain relief part because it just made them too long.

The blue pair is the output from the PS8 to the JL XD 1000/1 sub amp and the black sets are from the radio into the PS8.

These are the cables that go from the PS8 to the Adcom GFA 4404 amp. The Adcom uses XLR connections for input.

And plugged into the amp

8. Back To Top    #78
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Nice braiding

9. Back To Top    #79
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    1996 Honda Civic 3 Door

With all the time and effort going into the car, I wanted it to be as safe and secure as it could possibly be. There's only one security system I trust enough for that job, a Clifford G5 Intelligaurd 5.1. The alarm is packed full of true security features and I do not consider this to be a typical "noise maker alarm", this is a true security system.

Here's some of the features

To say this is complicated to install is grossly understating it. There are as many wires as 3 regular basic alarm systems.

Battery backup siren. Unlike most backup sirens, this one is only controlled by the remote. Disconnected from power it will continue to sound at full volume for up to 8 hours. This car also has the optional 518ln siren mounted in an undisclosed location and the horn honks on full alarm, so good luck there scum bags.

Scion xB's do not have a factory hood pin, so this one is installed as close to the hood adjuster as possible. You can see when it's in it's closed state, it's the exact height as the adjuster. Each door has an independent input to the cars BCM, this includes the hatch. All five of those points are covered also.

Alarm and remote start control modules mounted in their permanent location somewhere deep inside the dash, never to be seen again by anyone. You literally have to take over half of the dash out to get to it. Again, good luck there scum bags.

Fully installed and ready to go. Yes, all those wires are in there, somewhere. Good luck scum bags, hehe.

Another cool feature is the normally closed ground input. This is useful for all kinds of things, but in this install, all the audio equipment is connected to this input. If any piece of the system is removed while the alarm is armed, it will instantly trigger.

PlainView2 valet switch and super bright blue LED(mounted in the O in Scion). This is a coded valet switch unlike the conventional push and hold/key on valet sequence. Even with the key, without the remote or knowing the valet code, you will not drive off with this car. You can tow it, drag it off, and even then it will be kicking and screaming the whole way, but you won't drive it off.

Simple, rugged, no frills remotes. It has 3 auxiliary channels, one of them is controlling the audio system for keyless demo and judging purposes. One will control the LED's, and the 3 one I haven't decided yet. And if anyone was curious, it took me 4 full days to prep, and install this

10. Back To Top    #80
    Real Name
    Adam
    Vehicle
    '03 Honda Insight

So full of win. Looking forward to the demo.