Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Front stage help

1. Back To Top    #61
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

Re: Front stage help

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    I wouldn't call the neo aluminums "d-list" by any means. I got that nasty smoothed out that you probably didn't like about them. I'm happy with them and they do what I need them to do and sound the way I want them to sound. And most importantly, they fit in the sails like they were meant to be there. I already told you the reason I chose them over the gb10's and money had nothing to do with it. The gb10's would have looked more "factory" with that plastic chrome trim ring. I just felt like an aluminum dome would stand the test of time better than a soft some because of the side defrost vents blowing right on the tweeters. And you can't fault someone for wanting to be as non-invasive with the install as possible if what they end up with exceeds their expectations
    Certainly.. I shouldn't be too hard on them for what they do. I tainted anyway on those from my own impressions when I AB'd them against the old SB29's I had, just for a test prior to sale and since I'd never heard them. Some folks do like them certainly.
    2008 Civic Si Sedan
    Build Log
    You measure with REW? Consider donating. I did

2. Back To Top    #62
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    Certainly.. I shouldn't be too hard on them for what they do. I tainted anyway on those from my own impressions when I AB'd them against the old SB29's I had, just for a test prior to sale and since I'd never heard them. Some folks do like them certainly.
    They also need to be tuned "just so" to sound as good as their reputation suggests. They probably aren't forgiving as the SB29 by any means. I am a metal dome guy though. I played percussion for several years and overall a good metal dome just seems to tickle my pickle more consistently than your garden variety of soft domes. The reason I'm back suggesting the neo aluminum is because they're inexpensive (cheap suggests bad quality), they can play loud and clean down to 2500hz 24db slope (almost unheard of from a small format metal dome at any price point it seems), and once dialed in they sing like angels. Get them wrong and you'll flash back to an old MB Quart tweeter where the installer and tuner didn't know what they were doing but when done right also sang like angels.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

3. Back To Top    #63
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

Fair enough. And no offense intended on them. My pickle remained untickled Car audio would be boring without variety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2008 Civic Si Sedan
    Build Log
    You measure with REW? Consider donating. I did

4. Back To Top    #64

Hi, I am new to this forum and I have not read every post on this thread. So, first of all, I do not know if the OP is running active or passive. I am assuming passive only because of his said inexperience with car audio in one of his posts. If running passive, I'd recommend getting a 2-way component system. I am running a Morel Tempo Ultra 602 setup for my front stage and this is what I recommend. Morel is known for their exceptionally smooth, clear and precise tweeters...and these Tempo Ultra tweets do not disappoint. Man, I can run these things very loud for a long period of time and not get ear fatigue. In addition, when I finally turn the system off I do not experience any ringing of the ears like I did when I had my Kappas.

Most surprisingly was the bass response from those little 6.5" (or are they 6 3/4") misbass drivers. Fairly deep and very punchy (make sure you deaden your doors. This will help a whole lot). Overall sound is very balanced and very musical.

If you Google search "Morel Tempo Ultra 602 review", you will find a build thread on diymobilaudio.com. In it is the guy's thoughts and impressions of those speakers. He talks about them a lot in the thread. You should check it out.

Again, if you are running passive getting the component system will be a lot simpler and much less complicated that getting raw drivers. I got my Tempo Ultra 602 speakers on Ebay. And, you can get them on Ebay for $270 from Dynamic Auto Sound, which is an authorized Morel dealer.

Now, if you are running active, then any number of the recommendations will work quite well for you. But, running active isn't for the timid, if doing it yourself. And, if you have a local dealer tune your active system for you, then you will be listening to a system tuned to that particular technician's idea of a good sounding system...not necessarily yours.

5. Back To Top    #65
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    13 Mustang GT

Thabks guys. Lot to think over and ton of great advice from people. Blackhawksfan, thank you too. I'll check out that thread. I've looked in to the Morel's already. Interested to see what that guy says. Your description sounds pretty good. I had the shops do deadening in the last install. Well, just dyanmat (or equivalent) and esnsolite. So I don't have ccf and mlv. The door panels need some more something as they still have some buzz to them at. times. It will be active and will be going to a pro tuner. He seems very well regarded and respected, so I'm hoping for the best with that. And hopefully he'll be cool and let me sit in with him to get it to my tastes, and more importantly almost to learn.

6. Back To Top    #66
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Chris,

Make sure to write down his settings so you have something to go back to as you try various things [ x-over ( 12, 18 , 24 dB ) for example ].

Sweet , likin the approach !
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

7. Back To Top    #67
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Which speaker combo did you decide on ?
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

8. Back To Top    #68
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    13 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by Hic View Post
    Which speaker combo did you decide on ?
    still deciding haha. The NVX are all out of stock currently. And since that was fairly highly recommended figured I'd wait until they're back to make a full choice. So those, maybe the Morel Tempo Ultra (little concerned might be too "laid back") and SI v2/m25 are the top three I guess. Frogs are out of the budget this round. Have to just have some drinks and pick one. After having nothing for so long, Some flea market stuff would almost sound good about now haha. So I shouldn't be too picky

9. Back To Top    #69
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    13 Mustang GT

Unless there's a consensus better choice than those, or w in those. Seems like NVX have surprisingly got the most suggestions... In that $3-500 range

10. Back To Top    #70

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Unless there's a consensus better choice than those, or w in those. Seems like NVX have surprisingly got the most suggestions... In that $3-500 range

Can you tell me exactly which NVX speakers you are considering?