Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Front stage help

1. Back To Top    #21
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Re: Front stage help

Stereo Integrity tm65mkii gets my vote for a 6.5" mid. Pretty sure they're on backorder though. They'd be worth the wait because they're the real deal. I even liked the tweeter even though it's fabric. It's deep though. And Hic is correct. I played percussion from 8-12 grade. Even though I haven't played since my last concert as a senior in 2000 I still kinda miss it.

While I'm a metal dome guy I have heard quite a few soft dome tweets handle the upper cymbal range really well. It's hard to find a really great metal dome that's inexpensive AND can mate with most 6.5" mids off axis in the doors. The Seas neo aluminum is the only metal dome I can think of at the moment that can play low, get loud, and doesn't cost much. Digital Designs has one that looks better on paper (fs in the 400 range but 1400 is more believable) but haven't seen a review of it from a reliable source...or any review of it for that matter.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

2. Back To Top    #22
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

These would be at the top of my list if looking at new 6.5" woofers:

Morel CAW634 6" Woofer - 4 ohm

I've MW166 4 ohm woofers in two installs now with very good results as well. Using the NVX X tweeters and woofers right now in the Challenger, and REALLY like them. Haven't found one reason yet to replace them, which is pretty rare for me
    Are you not entertained?!?!

3. Back To Top    #23
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    13 Mustang GT

Thanks guys. List is looking pretty solid it seems. Ya I think the TM65's are back ordered the last I remember looking. Those are good for a two way though? Just reading way too many threads looked like ppl said those were better for 3 ways. And I have no clue on that to be honest. Haha. Sorry for so many questions, just hard to make the smart choice with out the knowledge to do it. A poll may have to seal my deal...and hey, if anyone is in the Indianapolis area or close, and would be interested in making some money and teaching an idiot, let me know

chithead-
    your challenger build log kinda guided me toward the NVX to begin with. Similar car,and dilemma of money spent on audio vs the end result. Id like the best result possible obviously, but at what length or cost can or should that come? Since I don't have the skills to do it myself it adds to it. Do you think you would've benfitted with say the AF GB15 tweets with those mids? Or would those Morels be better?

QUOTE=chithead;37461]These would be at the top of my list if looking at new 6.5" woofers:

Morel CAW634 6" Woofer - 4 ohm

I've MW166 4 ohm woofers in two installs now with very good results as well. Using the NVX X tweeters and woofers right now in the Challenger, and REALLY like them. Haven't found one reason yet to replace them, which is pretty rare for me [/QUOTE]

4. Back To Top    #24
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

The first generation tm65 is what people are talking about being a midbass only. The new generation mkii is the one that's better suited for 2-way front. Plays fine up to 2500hz and probably beyond and will play way lower than most 6.5" midwoofers at any price point. My first impression of the new tm65 was WITHOUT a highpass on them. Only a lowpass at 2500hz where they handed off to the tweeters. For the most part there was absolutely no need for a subwoofer.

You should go to the big show at Parts Express next month. Look for it in the events section of this forum. I plan on being there and you'll get to hear what very little money in speakers can do as long as you make the right choices. Hell depending on which sub I go with for the new build I might have a total of $200 in speakers since the rears are stock and got the sub for free
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

5. Back To Top    #25
    Vehicle
    2006 Civic Si

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    The first generation tm65 is what people are talking about being a midbass only. The new generation mkii is the one that's better suited for 2-way front. Plays fine up to 2500hz and probably beyond and will play way lower than most 6.5" midwoofers at any price point. My first impression of the new tm65 was WITHOUT a highpass on them. Only a lowpass at 2500hz where they handed off to the tweeters. For the most part there was absolutely no need for a subwoofer.

You should go to the big show at Parts Express next month. Look for it in the events section of this forum. I plan on being there and you'll get to hear what very little money in speakers can do as long as you make the right choices. Hell depending on which sub I go with for the new build I might have a total of $200 in speakers since the rears are stock and got the sub for free
    Just to add onto this. Nick may even be at that event and he's more than willing to spotlight the new drivers in his build. Running two way with the new tm6.5 mkii and the tweeters he offers. Quite the combo from what others have said.

6. Back To Top    #26
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Chris - bottom line all you and always will be ! I've known more than one person who has bought the latest rage stuff and then turned around and sold it for a loss. You will need to know what it is and whether you can make it do what you want it to. Some have even lamented the fact that years later they did not understand what it could do when they had it.

K.I.S.S. = keep it simple stupid , principal !
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

7. Back To Top    #27
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    13 Mustang GT

Alright, my problem is I'll debate on choices forever...and don't have the knowledge to make the best choice. Here's what's on the list so far. What do the experts think?
    1. Audiofrog GB15 with either TM65, or NVX X series. $770/$560
    2. TM65 w M25 $440
    3. NVX X series comps $280.
    Dollar for dollar. Long run, overall, best sound w potential for additions (rear fill or mid range) or just as is? Or combo with best overall base for a simple swap that would be worthwhile.

8. Back To Top    #28
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

I'm running those NVX X right now, and about the best way to describe them is a cross between the JL C5 and Morel Hybrid Ovation. They have that authoritative midbass and amazing detail like the C5, but with quite little tuning, you also get the very airy midrange and treble like the Morel. Definitely worth their humble asking price in my opinion.

9. Back To Top    #29
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    13 Mustang GT

Thanks for the reply. Ya. I want airiness , life like sound , live sound replication and feeling. Spaciousness , ability to get loud ,and airiness I guess would be my best description of wants would be. And a cheap option is good too hahah. Just want too much on a small dollar budget I guess. Trying to get a hold of a good tuner now so I can hopefully get the best of what ever it is I get.

10. Back To Top    #30
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

If not the NVX, the Morel Maximo and Tempo are great options as well for decent prices. They definitely fit into your listed audio desires. But them NVX are just superb quality in my opinion.