Thread: Front stage help

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    13 Mustang GT

Front stage help

Hello,
    sorry if this isn't the correct place to post this. But I'm looking for some guidance for my upcoming set up. I'm looking to do things right this time and hopefully get better sound and longevity. The car is a 13 Mustang GT, currently I have a Pioneer 4100nex, Audiomobile elite 12 with an Arc KS300.2 running it, and an NVX 4 ch for the fronts (currently focal flax 3 ways that have some how all blown, another issue all together) and will have a JL TWK dsp.

Anyway, I'm more than likely going to get Audiofrog GB15 tweeters. I can't afford the GB60's, so I'm trying to decide which midbass to go with. Kind of leaning toward the Audiofrog GS60's, or the NVX 6.5's. Of those two, which would be the better choice? Or is there another option that would be better in that price range?

option 2 would be cheaper and just the NVX x series components. Would the Audiofrog tweeters be enough of an improvement to justify the price difference?

As far as placement of the tweeters. The a pillars are kind of out of the question, so I'm figuring the sail panels will be the location. Is there an optimal angle or position (where to aim them)? A shop will be doing it. But there's no good sound quality shops around here so I don't want to pay for less than quality results. So I'm hoping to have something I can tell them to do and have it done correctly, or at least ok for best results. Just don't want to waste my money, which I shouldn't be spending anyway ha.
    Sorry for the long post. Thanks for looking and any help or suggestions!!!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Jon/Jonnie
    Vehicle
    2007 Cobalt

Re: Front stage help

Psycho is a member here with an 08 mustang. I would look at his build. this was his first venture into car audio- has did all the work himself, and the car sounds fabulous. And has a set of point source drivers in the stock locations. I would look at that for some ideas. his car scores low 200s in iasca regularly.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Robert or Mac
    Vehicle
    2012 Charger RT

when it comes to tweeter aiming, you really need to experiment. Some sail panel cars have the tweeters firing parallel to the side glass (straight back). Some fire straight across, and others are aimed more towards the far side seat. Reflections, the tweeter's dispersion pattern, installation considerations, etc. all play in to how you arrive at the final angle. Rig up some form of temporary mounting setup and do lots of listening. You may be reading this thinking "how will I know?" A couple things you can listen for. One is "ghosting", which is a double image. Female vocals will help you here. You will hear her in the center (assuming that is the correct placement) and a softer second image to the left. That would be ghosting or a double image.

As for the cost, well it depends on what you want the tweeter to do and how much you are willing to look for the right tweeter. Some people get expensive tweeters because they can tell the difference or to meet some specific goal. Others get expensive tweeters because they figure $$$ = performance, which isn't always the case. Erin (see his civic build on here) has $10 tweeters in his car. I have $10 tweeters as well (different than his though ). At one point I had $300ea scan tweeters, but I had them for a specific reason. That reason no longer exists, so I didn't need those tweeters anymore. Vifa, Dayton and a few other companies make good tweeters that will still allow you to buy lunch without waiting for the next payday.
    MASQ partner and judge
    MobileAudioSQ.com

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

But I'm looking for some guidance

that have some how all blown, another issue all together

Just don't want to waste my money

《Get least expensive set this time around 》¿
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    13 Mustang GT

Thanks for the replies guys.
    I wish I had the knowledge or skill to do it myself. But I know I'd just screw somethinng up haha. The shop is pretty cool though. I think they'd let me get involved with setting it up possibly. At least to get some things to sound good to me, maybe not necessarily perfect, but good to me anyway. Which is all I want. The sails will have to be built either way since there are no tweets in them from the factory.
    What tweeter do you guys use that's only $10? That's impressive to ditch an expensive set to replace them with. Im
    sure there's a lot of variables as to why. And whether or not it would work for me, I have no clue. I don't understand all
    of the tech stuff with figuring these things out. Which doesn't help me ha.
    I don't mind spending. Money if it'll be worthwhile (and I have it), but also the end result in overall value. If the GB15's in the end would give let's just say a 5% increase in performance, not worth it. Because it may not be noticeable. In the long run would they be a better choice, after possible additions/changes? Idk. Seems like a great product and company. That helps in wanting to support them as well.
    The guy from Germany that sells the adjustable speaker pods got suspended off eBay , was considering going with those as it would give a lot of options to easily play with. Though not look as good.

Hic- you're probably right hahaha. The cheaper option in reality probably is infinitely smarter. I want to be happy with it and trying to be smarter this time around and try to make the best decision for the time being and what I haven to work with. Are the frogs worth the 400? And use a 150-250 pr of mid basss, or just 300 ish set of comps?
    would love to hear all your guys set ups, bet they sound nice. Stuff like that would make things easier.
    Thanks again for the responses

Quote Originally Posted by pocket5s View Post
    when it comes to tweeter aiming, you really need to experiment. Some sail panel cars have the tweeters firing parallel to the side glass (straight back). Some fire straight across, and others are aimed more towards the far side seat. Reflections, the tweeter's dispersion pattern, installation considerations, etc. all play in to how you arrive at the final angle. Rig up some form of temporary mounting setup and do lots of listening. You may be reading this thinking "how will I know?" A couple things you can listen for. One is "ghosting", which is a double image. Female vocals will help you here. You will hear her in the center (assuming that is the correct placement) and a softer second image to the left. That would be ghosting or a double image.

As for the cost, well it depends on what you want the tweeter to do and how much you are willing to look for the right tweeter. Some people get expensive tweeters because they can tell the difference or to meet some specific goal. Others get expensive tweeters because they figure $$$ = performance, which isn't always the case. Erin (see his civic build on here) has $10 tweeters in his car. I have $10 tweeters as well (different than his though ). At one point I had $300ea scan tweeters, but I had them for a specific reason. That reason no longer exists, so I didn't need those tweeters anymore. Vifa, Dayton and a few other companies make good tweeters that will still allow you to buy lunch without waiting for the next payday.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Search " Parts Express " for tweeters that cost less.
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Robert or Mac
    Vehicle
    2012 Charger RT

Erin has the Dayton ND16 and I have a peerless, both available on parts-express.com. Given your experience I'll go on a limb and say you won't notice any difference between a good pair of inexpensive tweeters and a good pair of high dollar tweeters. There are quite a few tweeters that are under $30ea that will do the job just fine. Look at the site and see what will fit your application, i.e. some are really small and have little in the way of mounting provisions (like mine), while some are large and designed for 'home' use (big magnets, big mounting flange, etc.).

Another option to consider is a small wideband speaker. The Aura Whisper is a 2" speaker that costs 10-15 bucks (the occasionally run sales) and is a proven little speaker. Yes it is 8ohm. Yes it has low sensitivity. However, it has been used very successfully by several people including one back-to-back meca champion competitor. It is small enough that it could be mounted in the sail panel if you so chose. A similar sized option is the Tectonic Elements 2" speaker. Erin tested these a while back (review here). An added benefit of a small wideband like those is your midbass driver options can open up. Meaning since you won't need to mate your 6" speaker up to a tweeter, you can focus on a 6" speaker that is better at midbass duties and not worry about the midrange performance. Dejo metioned Psyko's mustang, which you can see here. I bring it up again because he had factory 8" speakers in his doors. If yours does as well then you have more options available to you. From 8" speakers (daytons, sb acoustics, etc.) to a beefy 6" like the Anarchy ($65 each online. Note is has a deep mounting depth so checking spacing would be a must) or a whole bunch of others.

So it is entirely possible to have under $250, maybe under $200 in your front speakers if you wanted to.

The Arura
    The Tectonic
    MASQ partner and judge
    MobileAudioSQ.com

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

You mention blown speakers. I have a tweeter suggestion that might hold up to the accidental fullrange use as long as you catch it in time. I won't say how long I accidently ran my passenger side tweeter fullrange but it was long enough that it should have blown but didn't.
    https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...-dome-tweeter/
    I know it's fuggly but grill cloth can fix that. And it does great down to 2500hz. Most 6.5" midwoofers can stretch up to it just fine. As for midwoofers SB Acoustics has several good ones on a budget. So does Scanspeak. You just have to pick the one that you think will suit your needs the best. I'm running this woofer and it has great midbass and midrange in a mildly deadened door. It does feel like excursion gets out of control on heavier midbass stuff even crossed at 80hz but it still gets the nod from me for a price to performance ratio. $200 frontstage and sounds incredible with a good tune.
    https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...ated-cone-6.5/
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Quote Originally Posted by pocket5s View Post
    Erin has the Dayton ND16 and I have a peerless, both available on parts-express.com. Given your experience I'll go on a limb and say you won't notice any difference between a good pair of inexpensive tweeters and a good pair of high dollar tweeters. There are quite a few tweeters that are under $30ea that will do the job just fine. Look at the site and see what will fit your application, i.e. some are really small and have little in the way of mounting provisions (like mine), while some are large and designed for 'home' use (big magnets, big mounting flange, etc.).

Another option to consider is a small wideband speaker. The Aura Whisper is a 2" speaker that costs 10-15 bucks (the occasionally run sales) and is a proven little speaker. Yes it is 8ohm. Yes it has low sensitivity. However, it has been used very successfully by several people including one back-to-back meca champion competitor. It is small enough that it could be mounted in the sail panel if you so chose. A similar sized option is the Tectonic Elements 2" speaker. Erin tested these a while back (review here). An added benefit of a small wideband like those is your midbass driver options can open up. Meaning since you won't need to mate your 6" speaker up to a tweeter, you can focus on a 6" speaker that is better at midbass duties and not worry about the midrange performance. Dejo metioned Psyko's mustang, which you can see here. I bring it up again because he had factory 8" speakers in his doors. If yours does as well then you have more options available to you. From 8" speakers (daytons, sb acoustics, etc.) to a beefy 6" like the Anarchy ($65 each online. Note is has a deep mounting depth so checking spacing would be a must) or a whole bunch of others.

So it is entirely possible to have under $250, maybe under $200 in your front speakers if you wanted to.

The Arura
    The Tectonic
    I actually have a pair of Aura Whisper 2" that are already mounted in pvc pods that I took in a trade, and have no use for them. If you are interested, PM me and we can work something out. I also have 2 or 3 other pairs of tweets you might want to try...
    Kenwood DDX9903S, Arc PS-8 w/PSC, Arc Audio 1200.6, Helix SPXL1000, Audiofrog GB12D4(2) IB, GB60, GB25, GB10

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...um-face-plate/
    Low Fs means they will play down to 2khz (easier to mate with a woofer), even if you wail on em.
    If you have room for them, you won't be disappointed. IMO, this is the best value tweeter out there.