Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about time alignment!

1. Back To Top    #21
    Real Name
    Howard
    Vehicle
    Gonzo the Yota 3.0

Re: Let's talk about time alignment!

Quote Originally Posted by Hic View Post
    Mic10is would add time alignment to his sub when competing ( up to 5 milliseconds ).

You are looking for a sound from a song you know intimately, that pleases you !
    He did that with a sub upfront. When we did my car I could have as much as 10MS added to mine. At one point we were playing around and added 12+ ms to the fronts and had the image half way out the hood, it was just like listening in a tunnel...

2. Back To Top    #22

You still have to remember that time allignment also plays the role of phase shifting. Delaying a sub can make it in total acoustical phase to the listener's position. I for one don't believe in the theory that says the sub (usually being the one further away from the listeners) should have 0 delay, and all the rest should tune to that. I'm not saying it can't happen, but it'll be due to the cabin size/shape, and the sub placing and angling.

Whatever works, man.
    Nick

3. Back To Top    #23
    Real Name
    Howard
    Vehicle
    Gonzo the Yota 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by n_olympios View Post
    Whatever works, man.
    THAT^^^^^^
    Every car is a different environment and presents different challenges. There is no cure all for every car, there are theories that can be put into place but every car will have its own problems/solutions

4. Back To Top    #24
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Somebody brought up this technique on Diyma and I tried it with fairly good success...at least it got me a good starting point:

1. Turn off all your channels except for the farthest driver and play pink noise
    2. Starting with your next farthest driver, turn it on and reverse the phase 180°
    3. Start adding t/a to this driver and listen for it to start cancelling out the original driver. In a perfect world, once the two drivers are in alignment, they should completely cancel each other out.
    4. Once you've found the deepest trough, you are done. Switch the phase on this driver back to 0º and it should be in alignment with the source driver.
    5. Repeat the steps with the next farthest driver.

As with any time alignment technique, it's a good starting point, but your ears will need to be the final judge.

5. Back To Top    #25
    Real Name
    Tommy Woosey
    Ophoven, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany, Germany
    Vehicle
    Mazda MX5 10th AE 5300/7500

Quote Originally Posted by AL9000 View Post

As with any time alignment technique, it's a good starting point, but your ears will need to be the final judge.
    I disagree, They are aligned or not.. Ears should be used for tonality imo..

6. Back To Top    #26
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

Quote Originally Posted by AL9000 View Post
    Somebody brought up this technique on Diyma and I tried it with fairly good success...at least it got me a good starting point:

1. Turn off all your channels except for the farthest driver and play pink noise
    2. Starting with your next farthest driver, turn it on and reverse the phase 180°
    3. Start adding t/a to this driver and listen for it to start cancelling out the original driver. In a perfect world, once the two drivers are in alignment, they should completely cancel each other out.
    4. Once you've found the deepest trough, you are done. Switch the phase on this driver back to 0º and it should be in alignment with the source driver.
    5. Repeat the steps with the next farthest driver.

That's the nulling I was speaking of, using pink noise is not the brightest thing to do unless it's heavily bandwidth limited.. man up and use a tone.

Quote Originally Posted by WOOSEY View Post
    Word to your mother.

7. Back To Top    #27
    Real Name
    Stu
    Vehicle
    '02 Honda Accord

I originally set T/A by ear using pink noise and familiar songs. I did something similar to what Al just posted and to the method posted on the first page using tones and a center image.

The result was promising, once I finally figured out that I needed to flip my passenger side full-range's polarity. I had a decent center image and strong left/right. But my center image was slightly to the left of where it should've been.

So last night for shits and giggles I redid all my T/A settings with a tape measure and then I confirmed/fine tuned those setting by ear. The results were so far from my original settings that its not even worth posting the numbers. The funny thing is that the image ended up about the same as before except my center was actually centered and I no longer needed to flip one of the midranges. In fact none of my driver polarities required swapping and my midbass felt more punchy. I also need to do a little more critical listening but it seems that I have more resolution in between center and left/right stage.

Sent from my Springfield XD with love!

8. Back To Top    #28
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

I've seen numbers from each side on equalizer with sliders that were completely different ( no mirror image ).

But sound was very nice to my ears

9. Back To Top    #29
    Real Name
    Stu
    Vehicle
    '02 Honda Accord

Quote Originally Posted by Hic View Post
    I've seen numbers from each side on equalizer with sliders that were completely different ( no mirror image ).

But sound was very nice to my ears
    Huh?

Are you talking about eq or t/a?

Sent from my Springfield XD with love!

10. Back To Top    #30

Quote Originally Posted by WOOSEY View Post
    Having the sound from all speakers reach your ears at the exact same time doesn't certify that the result is perfect. Phase coherence is necessary and only achieved through acoustical tests.
    Nick