Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Jay's 2015 Mazda 6i Touring build thread

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

Jay's 2015 Mazda 6i Touring build thread

OK, since the Kia is gone, I guess I'll start a build thread for the new car.

I'm not planning to use any of the old equipment in the new car.
    Here's the current (evolving) plan...but I haven't bought anything yet.

Head Unit
    Pioneer AVIC-4100NEX
    PAC Audio SWI-RC for steering wheel controls.
    May use an Arduino to integrate the knob in the center console.
    If I don't use the SWI-RC, I will probably do an iDatalink Maestro RR
    Axxess Interfaces AX-MAZCAM-6V to retain the factory backup camera
    Microbypass Parking brake interface
    Axxess Interfaces AX-USB-35-EXT USB/Aux plate (there is an issue with retaining the factory port in the center console)
    Metra 95-7522B Dash kit

Front Stage

Illusion Audio C3CX 3" point source coaxes, likely on the a-pillar
    Illusion Audio C8W 8" shallow midbass in the door. Not cutting the car up this time, or giving up my foot room. Besides, there's a fuse box in the
    kick panel.

Subwoofer(s)

Acoustic Elegance IB12AU's (I have a 14 cu ft trunk, and the numbers say 2 of these give me a system Q of .702)

Signal Processing

Undecided, but leaning toward:

Mosconi 4to6 or 6to8v8
    Mosconi RC Mini (so I can use an Arduino to interface my volume controls with the processor)

Power/Ground Distribution/Wire

I saved my Streetwires Distro block and ground block from the Rio.
    Will probably pick up a 200A breaker for up by the battery.
    Power/speaker wire will likely be from Knu Koncepts again. Second choice is Tspec (which I can get locally).

Probably going to run 14ga to all the speakers, and 12 or 10 to the subs.

There may or may not be some Techflex involved. lol

Amplification

Currently thinking about either (2) Alpine PDX-V9's, or a PDX-F4, and F6 and an M12.
    I'm leaning toward these because I might build an amp rack that hangs from the rear deck and I could hide all the wires, and the controls would all face out for easy accessibilty.

This car ACTUALLY came with a spare tire, and I want to leave it in there, if I go with my second choice amps (2 Arc Audio KS300.4's and a KS1200.1) or 3rd choice (Mosconi) I'd have to put them down there.

Sound Control/NVH

Mainly Soundskins deadener and speaker rings (although FAST rings might make an appearance if Soundskins doesn't have an 8" ring)
    MLV (at least in the front doors.)

RCA's

Probably Stinger 6000 series.

That's my current plan. I'm sure it will change some before I start tearing the car apart.

The Victim:

2015 Mazda 6i Touring, in Snowflake white pearl. Black Leather(ette) interior.
    19" wheels, manually shiftable automatic transmission (no paddles), dual zone A/C, rear seat heat/A/C vents, push button start, etc.

It will be getting tinted with Panaflex heat rejection window film.

The current HU has HD Radio, USB, Aux, Pandora control, Bluetooth and hands free. And the implementation of just about all of it is horrible.
    Since I don't have Bose, the radio doesn't control any of the car's options, so changing it won't present a problem.
    However, cars with the Bose option have a 9" woofer in the door. And I've seen TheJesus' build thread on DIYMA and Mazda6club's forum, and he got Hybrid L8's in his, so the C8's should be easy. Haha.

Rear speakers will remain off the radio power, so that I can fade them off or on when there are rear passengers.

That's what I'm thinking anyway...lol

Jay

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

Re: Jay's 2015 Mazda 6i Touring build thread

OK, not sure if anyone else is going to see this, but I'll see.

I'm looking for a small rectangular USB/3.5mm aux panel AND a MATCHING dual USB panel.

I can find round ones, or a rectangular of one, but not the other.

Any suggestions?

My coworker is probably going to sell me his 4100NEX since he won't be using it in his new (to him) Grand Cherokee.

Jay

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

OK. I found out that Metra makes a piece that snaps into Ford factory knockouts that gives me 2 USB ports, an HDMI port and an 1/8" aux port.
    It's called an AX-FDUSBAUX. I ordered on on Amazon so I could return it if it won't work, and it arrived yesterday. (Yay, Amazon Prime) and it looks like if I open the hole up in the car, I can put it right where the factory USB/aux port is.

Second, I bought the 4100NEX from said co-worker. Needs a little cleanup, but it came with a Microbypass, so I don't have to source that, at least.

Third, I may have a problem:

I'm listing a bunch of my gear for sale to help fund the new build. My C10XL, my BitOne.1, some budget Kenwood components (that if they don't sell will end up in my GF's Jeep, or in the garage), and all of my old school sony amps. I'm putting ads up in DIYMA's classified section, but if anyone's interested PM me.

Jay

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

Looks like I'm in the market for a new processor...my BitOne sold in less than 24hrs.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

The Helix DSP.2 seems to be the new forum boner. I work for an Arc Audio dealer, and can get a PS8 reasonably priced. The last time I'd seen the software was in Andy's GTI like 3 years ago, and it's come along way. I had been leaning toward a Mosconi 6to8v8 (because it gave me features I wanted and I've used the software, as well as the expandability), but I'm not sure.

I guess I'll go back through and see what Erin's using nowadays. lol

Jay

6. Back To Top    #6
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

Jay's 2015 Mazda 6i Touring build thread

Quote Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post

I guess I'll go back through and see what Erin's using nowadays. lol

Jay
    Helix Pro-2 I think.
    The DSP.2 should be good to go.
    Often wondered about those Mosconi units though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2008 Civic Si Sedan
    Build Log
    You measure with REW? Consider donating. I did

7. Back To Top    #7
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

I like the Mosconi 4to6 and 6to8...but the software is a little clunky. For example (and the hardest thing for most people to understand) is that in order to get 24 (or 36 or 48dB/oct slope) you have to do multiple 12dB/oct slopes at the same frequency. It's not a GUI, it's more DOS-like. lol. I like how you can plug in modules to add BT streaming in HD, BT sync with your PC for tuning with no cables, etc, but it looks like Helix is doing that now as well. I work for a Focal dealer, and Focal/Mosconi/Gladen/Illusion all kind of fall under the same umbrella (Orca) I can get their stuff cheaper than stuff we don't sell, and since my former employer killed the car audio section, I don't know of a Helix dealer that will give me anything close to dealer pricing. AaMoF, I don't know of any other Helix dealers in my area.

From the looks of it, the DSP.2 would do everything *I* need.

The PS-8 left a bad taste in my mouth, after it took so long to actually come out, the commander was YEARS in actually showing up, the software was rather like the Mosconi software (more type in values, than GUI) and there were noise issues early on. But I got to do one the other day and use the newest software and was rather surprised to find it extremely flexible.

I think I'm between the 6to8v8, the DSP.2 and the PS-8. More research to come.

Jay

8. Back To Top    #8

Well, I'd like to help make that decision easy if I can. Buy the Helix. Nothing else can touch it.

However, if you're interested the JL twk88 is a really nice unit as well.
    -- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
    https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/

9. Back To Top    #9
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

I don't need the extra outputs of the Pro, so I'd be looking at the DSP.2...Thanks for the input.
    Hope I can find a deal...it's hard to work in the industry and pay normal pricing. lol

Jay

10. Back To Top    #10
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

A friend of mine has a little "out-of-his-garage" deal going and he said he would check on pricing on the Helix for me. He also offered to sign up with Soundskins...
    But I am going to look at Focal's deadener too, since the shop I work at is already a Focal dealer. No point having his little venture have to sign up for something just for me. lol

Jay