Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Jay's 2015 Mazda 6i Touring build thread

1. Back To Top    #91
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

Re: Jay's 2015 Mazda 6i Touring build thread

A little project at work right now. Getting it ready for the Woodward Dream Cruise.

IMG_20170804_174927518 by Jay McGraw, on Flickr

IMG_20170805_152522562 by Jay McGraw, on Flickr

IMG_20170805_153822576_HDR by Jay McGraw, on Flickr

IMG_20170805_154232208 by Jay McGraw, on Flickr

IMG_20170805_154232208 by Jay McGraw, on Flickr

It's also getting 2 Alpine Type-R 6x9's.

Jay

2. Back To Top    #92
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

That's nice right there!
    Are you not entertained?!?!

3. Back To Top    #93
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

A week or so ago, I sent John from AE a message via FB. I got no response, so the next day I sent him a message through the company email.
    Today I got a response from him directly (not Jessica) explaining a little more in depth what the delay was and letting me know he plans to
    have them ship out by Monday. I doubt I'll have them in the car before SVR, tho.

Going to try and get sound in the car this weekend.

Jay

4. Back To Top    #94
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

Well, I had planned to work on the car Saturday night, but fell asleep as soon as I got home.

Sunday, I had to make 4 trips to Home Depot to get screws for remove the push terminals from my C8's.

This should allow me to clear the metal in the door. The terminals might have just been touching, so this should clear it for sure.
    I stole the idea from someone in a Facebook group, where someone else did the same thing on their C8's. I thought he's said he used 8-32 screws.

So I went to Home Depot and got some, but they were too big. Just.
    Then I went back and something else...still didn't fit.
    Then I realized it was probably metric. So, I went back and got some M4-.7 1/2" screws. and they were just too short.
    4th trip got me right with M4-.7 20mm long.

I also got my adapter rings for my C3CX's made from 1/4" ABS.

So, I need to wire up the fuse holder, the wire from the battery to the fuse holder and the ground wire to the distro.
    Do a couple of things for the turn on, and a few little things. Hoping to have it playing Tuesday now.

Jay

5. Back To Top    #95
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

OK. Passenger door is deadened (outer and inner skin) with Noico 80mil. Illusion C8 is installed with Fastrings. Today, I'm going to do the Driver's door, connect ground, power, turn on and install the crossovers for the C3CX's and the speakers. Hope it doesn't rain.

The other day, I soldered my 14ga Knu speaker wire onto my C3CX's, and added Deans connectors. I made an inline piece with a 50microfarad cap for tweeter protection, but after talking to Nick Adams, I think I'm just going to put the included crossovers in instead. At least for break in.

IMG_20170813_124148276_HDR by Jay McGraw, on Flickr

IMG_20170813_123208311 by Jay McGraw, on Flickr

FastRings installed:

IMG_20170814_202204398 by Jay McGraw, on Flickr

There's a set of Deans connectors in there, and heat shrunk so they don't ever come apart.

IMG_20170814_201943022 by Jay McGraw, on Flickr

A casualty from working on the bike!

IMG_20170814_135401995 by Jay McGraw, on Flickr

Jay

6. Back To Top    #96
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

Well, I almost made it. Everything on the amp rack is wired. All I need to do is hook up turn on and make the wire that goes from the fuse holder to the battery...but I didn't have a 1/0 ring connector. I also need to make a plate to mount the RC-Mini, but for the time being I can just surface mount it on a flat plate at work tomorrow, hopefully.

Jay

7. Back To Top    #97
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

I have sound! Not very good sound, but sound. lol

I set my crossovers conservatively, until I get more time to play with it. The setup of the 8to12 is a little strange.

Jay

8. Back To Top    #98
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

Leaving for SVR tomorrow (spectating) but am going to try and spend a couple hours tuning before I leave.
    Need to make the mount for my RC Mini and clean the car out, and pack still, besides the tuning. lol

Jay

9. Back To Top    #99
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

Spent all morning making a mount for my RC Mini (which is just temporary/proof of concept) and tracking down issues that had me ready to tear my hair out.
    Apparently, I test fit the passenger coax, and it fit so I bolted it in and put the grill back. Just forget to plug the wires in. Doh!

Then I had my RF Midbass connected to the midrange out of the C3CX crossover. So when I was trying to mute channels What should have been channel 6, wasn't muting, and the dash speaker on that side wasn't working.

Got it all working now. Still no sub, but my AE's are supposed to be here today (of course!) according to UPS.

I had planned to leave around 10am, and get there around 4, but looks like it's going to be more like 7-8pm. *sigh* At least it's the day before the show.
    I was hoping to get some tuning done, but I basically (down and dirty) set my gains and roughly set my TA.

Good thing I'm not competing. lol

Jay

10. Back To Top    #100
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

So, a little update...2 hours after I left I got an email that my subs arrived. Of course. But hey, they're here now, and I have tomorrow off.

Also, my 8to12 Aero isn't saving my T/A settings. I'd set them, close the program down and when I pulled it back up later, all of it was zeroed out. I talked to Nick Wingate about it at the show, to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong, and I mentioned I was using the MOS-BTM but I was going to try the cable (which I left at home, of course) when I got back and he was like "Just use the cable." lol

Then Nick (Apicella) got in my car to listen and turned on Listening Position, Left on my Pioneer 4100NEX...and now my stage is from pillar to pillar, center is pretty good (a little left, wanders maybe 2 or 3 inches rarely) and it doesn't rainbow much. Sounds like it has some potential. I'm going to turn it back off and actually set TA with the processor, because there are definitely some phase/TA issues because I'm only using the front outputs into the 8to12.

Nick (Wingate) also gave me some advice that I hope to implement soon.

Show was a blast.

Jay

Also, I was repping CAJ on Sunday. I might need a new T-shirt, Al. This one keep attracting food. lol