Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Jay's 2015 Mazda 6i Touring build thread

1. Back To Top    #31
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

Re: Jay's 2015 Mazda 6i Touring build thread

Achievement Unlocked:

Amps Purchased! lol

Today I picked up a couple of Alpine PDX-V9's from work.

The plan is to run them actively: (each running one side of the car)

100W to the tweeters in the C3CX's I have yet to buy.
    100W to the mids in the C3CX's
    200W to the C8-W's
    500W to the Sub.

Also, if I decide to, I can run the passive crossovers of the C3CX's and leave two channels open for future rear fill duties...Or I can add a PDX-M12 and reconfigure:

100W to the tweeters
    200W to the mids
    500W to the C8-W's
    600W to each sub
    100W to rear fill speakers.

Seems like a pretty flexible setup for now.

Jay

2. Back To Top    #32
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

Very cool! I really liked the new PDX's. I'd fail a blind test between those and the XDv2's I'm running now, but they were an upgrade over the NVX (same board as PPI Phantom) amps I ran before them in power, fidelity and control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2008 Civic Si Sedan
    Build Log
    You measure with REW? Consider donating. I did

3. Back To Top    #33
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

I like the new PDX's. The old ones had some noise floor issues, but the new ones are pretty solid.
    They're pretty reliable, 1 pair of channels have a bandpass crossover built in, ad they make decent power.
    With two I should be able to keep the gains down and keep noise to a minimum.
    I've been told I might have some turn on/off thump, but I haven't noticed that on these in a long time,
    so hopefully Alpine addressed that issue.

I had a few other options I was considering, but the layout of wiring on one side and controls on the other, as
    well as being reliable and in my price range, were a big factor. I also think I might suspend them from a welded amp rack
    anyway, and I think I can use a stack kit to do it.

I also like that they're all the same size, so I can use one to make sure an M12 will fit later, if I want to go that way.

I've been considering some equipment changes because I can get some different stuff from work.

I was considering a PS8 and Focal 3 way Flax components, but I really want 8's and C3CX's.

Jay

4. Back To Top    #34
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

The C3CX would likely be easier installation as well.

2008 Civic Si Sedan
    Build Log

5. Back To Top    #35
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

So, the other day I ordered my C3CX's, C8s, 8to12 Aerospace, RC Mini and MOS BTM. The authorization has gone through, but I have no idea how long before they get here.

I have about $260 of stuff in my cart at KnuKonceptz, About $300 at Wirecare.com (which will probably grow, since I plan to make my own RCA's now) and I still need to order my subs and deadener.

My previous boss sent me a customer since he no longer does car audio, and he (previous boss) offered the customer his last PDX amp at a smoking deal...but it's a PDX-M12, and this customer needs something like a PDX-V9. But for what he's selling the PDX-M12 for, I might have to scrounge some money up for it. lol

Hey, Babs, how big is your trunk? When I modeled the IB12AU's they came out a little better than the SPB12's, but the SPB's have gotten better real world reviews for IB use. So, I'm curious how close trunk size is between cars. Mine's frigging huge, and with leakage I assume it will act like a bigger encosure as well.

Any chance you could post any frequency response graphs for you system (or just subs if it's a secret, lol) so I have something to compare to?

Jay

6. Back To Top    #36
    Real Name
    Rich

I have a pair of SBP 12's with the Apollo upgrade in my Accord. 15.8 cubic foot trunk.

John at A.E. recommended the SBP over the IB if the trunk is likely to see reduced airspace from use. He said the SBP will have less of a change in sound compared to the IB. Otherwise the IB would work well he said.

I ultimately choose the SBP Apollo because I found a pair local for sale NIB for $500. Made it a no brainier for me.

7. Back To Top    #37
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

I don't use my trunk much. And if I do, I'm not going to stress over a small loss of sound. I usually listen to Audiobooks anyway.

Jay

8. Back To Top    #38
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

Decided to make my own RCA's again. So I ordered 250ft of Gepco 6600, 200ft of Black/neon blue tightweave Techflex and some Rean NYS352BG RCA ends, and some cable pants from PE.
    I'm waiting for eAsy fab products to release their stickers so I can mark the RCA's every foot or so...
    Once the stickers get released I also plan to get the ultra clear heat shrink from Wirecare.com
    I'm going with the intention I might (someday) compete in install as well as MECA Street or Modified Street (that's how I'm planning it right now, anyway).

Jay
    Last edited by JayinMI; 06-07-2017 at 07:42 AM.

9. Back To Top    #39
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post

Hey, Babs, how big is your trunk? When I modeled the IB12AU's they came out a little better than the SPB12's, but the SPB's have gotten better real world reviews for IB use. So, I'm curious how close trunk size is between cars. Mine's frigging huge, and with leakage I assume it will act like a bigger encosure as well.

Any chance you could post any frequency response graphs for you system (or just subs if it's a secret, lol) so I have something to compare to?

Jay
    Sorry I missed your question for late reply. 8th Civic sedan. I want to say I read somewhere something like 14cubic. I could be very wrong on that.

I'll do up some REW responses soon. Yeah that is an interesting choice. I've been pleased with the SBP's if I could learn to tune them but they certainly bring the depth. They have a bump around 35hz and some kind of dip I need to look at closer and verify with REW RTA. Saw it in AudioTools Transfer Function but that's with stationary mic so I don't trust it. Might be a modal dip at mic placement. Cool tool maybe if I can master it.

2008 Civic Si Sedan
    Build Log

10. Back To Top    #40
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Salami View Post
    I have a pair of SBP 12's with the Apollo upgrade in my Accord. 15.8 cubic foot trunk.

John at A.E. recommended the SBP over the IB if the trunk is likely to see reduced airspace from use. He said the SBP will have less of a change in sound compared to the IB. Otherwise the IB would work well he said.

I ultimately choose the SBP Apollo because I found a pair local for sale NIB for $500. Made it a no brainier for me.
    For that price, I can see why! Nice score.