Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The long awaited 2014 Grand Cherokee build log!

1. Back To Top    #31
    Real Name
    Tom
    Vehicle
    2014 Maxima

Re: The long awaited 2014 Grand Cherokee build log!

Looks great Chris. Love the spare tire enclosure; will there be a raised floor? i want to do similar to my Maxima.

2. Back To Top    #32
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Quote Originally Posted by thmaynard View Post
    Looks great Chris. Love the spare tire enclosure; will there be a raised floor? i want to do similar to my Maxima.
    When I post pics of the enclosure in place it will all make senseJust haven't gotten around to it yet but will when the new beast of a 6ch gets dropped inThere's also an ID15v3 in the box now. The floor is raised about 4" and with the spacer to double up the ply and get the needed mounting depth plus the carpeted cover over the sub it kinda looks like a tiny casket in the back of a tiny hearse. Once the new hopefully non-defective amp goes in (the board itself in the 800/8 is making noise that's leaking into the outputs) I'll be able to call this install "done". Wait, am I trying to make this Jeep a one-install chump? I hit it about right on front stage selection. And the tune just fell into place with rave reviews at the NCSQ meet. It has great staging and the tonality I was shooting for. I DO NOT want to pull the door panels again unless something lets out magic smoke. Pulling door panels on a Grand Cherokee takes nerves of steel and you think you broke something when those tree clips finally turn loose all at once.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

3. Back To Top    #33
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Quote Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
    Do you have load resistors on your signal leads from the factory amp? If not, it will shut down channels because it thinks there's a problem.
    Also, have you looked into the Pac AmpPro stuff?
    Notice the JL Fix in one of the pics. Works greatI had a problem with it not wanting to calibrate in pre-firmware form. Passenger side had no midbass. Finally found the JL updater and got the new firmware installed so I could control the Fix from the lappy. I even went straight to the high level inputs of the c-dsp and still had no midbass on the passenger side. Frustrated I ripped everything out and just wired the Fix in but had the lappy connected this time. For well over a year you couldn't use the lappy with the Fix and had to calibrate using buttons on the unit itself. I installed mine less than a week after the firmware became available. Thinking I had soldered one of the midwoofer wires 180* out I purposely wired the right side out of phase. Yes I tried flipping phase in the c-dsp and the problem remained on that side. I hit calibrate from the lappy and it ended up showing up on the screen what I was hearing on the right side. Flipped the phase to the passenger side door in the fix software to bring it back into what I thought was correct phase and problem solved. I don't know why it wasn't playing nice to begin with. It should have worked without me having to wire out of phase at the terminal then flipping it back with the puter.

NOW GO BACK AND READ WHAT YOU JUST READ AGAIN IN CASE YOU MISSED SOMETHING. No the fix to fix the FIX doesn't make sense. READ AGAIN TO SEE THAT I ENDED UP BACK WHERE I WAS PHASE WISE AND IT SUDDENLY WORKED. I shouldn't have had to of wired out of phase and then flip that channel back into phase in the software but that's what had to be done to get the calibration to work.

Not trying to be an ass in this post. What I had to do to make the Fix calibrate properly makes absolutely no sense because I ended up back the way I was wired originally but just a different way of going about it. I just urge anyone who reads it to go back and read several times because I know how people tend to skim over things. You know, like when someone says they have $200 to spend and then someone suggests something that costs several times that because they didn't read the whole post
    Last edited by Hillbilly SQ; 04-23-2017 at 01:54 PM.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

4. Back To Top    #34
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Forgot to mention I am running the 4ch JL line adapter to put a load on the channels. It would have worked without it but hear some of the Chrysler amps get unstable without some kind of load on the channels.

5. Back To Top    #35

GOing through the door plug harness is always fun isnt it?

6. Back To Top    #36
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Quote Originally Posted by caraudiofab View Post
    GOing through the door plug harness is always fun isnt it?
    It's a battle of who's more stubborn. Doesn't help that I have short sausage fingers. Nothing a little redneck problem solving skills couldn't solve though. Getting the driver's side boot out involved A LOT more foul language because it didn't want to turn loose but since it was done second actually getting the wires through it was MUCH easier. Link through the pieces like a train and pull like it owes your money

7. Back To Top    #37
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Well I decided I didn't like the layout of the original back end build. Every time I used the cargo area in the back for umm...CARGO I'd block the opening for the sub. Here's pics I took seconds before ripping it out to start "project ugly duckling". Firing up also was killing my output. Sub shook the hell out of the cabin but wasn't near as loud as I though it should be. When I installed the retractable cargo cover my bass response actually got quite a bit better with the flimsy cover giving the sub something to load off of.

8. Back To Top    #38
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Now on to the new build. I decided to give this Alumapro Alusonic 12 a try ported. At least the general consensus from research and Glenn says it's an Alusonic and the specs are in the winisd database...I guess there's the right specs. Winisd spit out 2.3ish tuned to like 28. I'm at 2.6 tuned upper 20's. This box size should be good for a lot of different woofers so not worried about it being a one sub chump if I decide I want something different. I decided to use a 4" aeroport I've had laying around for several years but never used. The port is firing out the passenger side end of the box. Because mdf is toxic as all hell I coated it inside and out with shellac to seal it up. Will also be a good base coat for if I decide to paint it. It's worked great before on an mdf painting experiment. I mounting the amps and blocks to the back of the box. Nothing special here but effective for now. Also had to cut a big hole in the tire well insert to pass a bunch of wires through to come up behind the box. Yeah I'll need a new insert along with sail panel moldings with factory tweets when I decide to trade in about 6 or 8 years.

9. Back To Top    #39
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

This sub was intended to go inside of a 4th order home audio bandpass and likely never be seen by human eyes. It's cheezy as all hell and had to drill holes through a crappy wood ring on the face of the sub to mount it. I used washers to give me more holding power since I didn't trust it to hold up as a screw tightened down on it. The wiring terminals are literally held on by thin cardboard. I have exactly zero dollars into this woofer so no loss if it doesn't work out.

10. Back To Top    #40
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Now, most of you are probably wondering why I didn't carpet or paint this box. Well, why waste time and money making something I may or may not like pretty? I do need to move the box back a few inches so I can recline the back seats to close up the gap between them and where the cargo cover locks in. To be honest, this box might go years just like it is. It's built solid and that's all that matters. As for how the sub sounds...I knew when I powered it up free air several months ago that it would kill the rest of my collection of subs in sq but not be an output monster. It sounds clean so far and the eq is still set for the sealed 15". Need to run some tones and flatten it out. I have over 600rms available for it and it gets loud enough to blend with the fronts with a little left over. I'll probably roll with this for several months. In parting, I'll leave you with a pic of a cute little dog what we think got dumped yesterday. He's too skinny, not neutered, and no collar.