Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The long awaited 2014 Grand Cherokee build log!

1. Back To Top    #21
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Re: The long awaited 2014 Grand Cherokee build log!

Alright folks, I got A LOT accomplished today. The unfinished box is in the vehicle and wired up. Forgot to get a pic of it INSIDE the vehicle thoughI'll get one on the next update. The original layout got scrapped because it just didn't make sense. Everything was going to be in the undersized amp rack and under the dead space of the cover that will go over the sub. That would have created its own set of issues with wire routing. The way I did it everything is concealed. Guess ripping everything out after getting frustrated had a silver lining

I had to cut a piece out of the tire well insert so the bundle of wires could come into the well unrestricted. Then I made them as manageable as possible for wiring into the amps. Mounting the processing stuff on the insert made the most sense from a practical standpoint. Some of the pieces got mounted crooked on purpose for adequate connection clearance and/or to make damn sure the spare tire would go back in without touching. I decided the only way I was going to have at least some rhyme and reason to wiring all this stuff up was to use the barrier strip. I used 18g speaker wire I had laying around to wire it and a 3a fuse is all that's needed to run the FIX, c-dsp, and 2x4. I didn't do much for wire management but the way I see it if I need to troubleshoot something quickly the last thing I want to be doing is fighting a bundle that's tighter than Ft. Knox. Looking back, I probably technically have the barrier strip mounted upside down. Oh well, I'm not going back in now! There's A LOT going on in my tire well. 3 usb cables and 2 phone cables going to the front for processors and remotes. 6 runs of speaker wire going to speakers and 4 runs going to the FIX. And all the wiring needed to power up everything. My head was spinning when I finally got done with it all then it didn't power up! Had to go in and in took less than a minute to figure out I had the remote IN and remote OUT on the FIX wired backwards

They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

2. Back To Top    #22
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

I mounted the distribution blocks on front of the box and they are protected by the back seat. I ran them through a hole around a tie-down from up under the back seat. the metal piece is rounded and the insulation on the welding cable is pretty tough so don't see any issue with shorting out over time. I have a pic of a connector on the back part of the tire well insert that will throw a code saying your keyless entry needs to be serviced and your door handle locks won't work. I learned this the hard way. I'm going to use cabinet hinges to mount the amp rack lid. Yes I know they're upside down and will remedy that when the lid gets carpeted. Ran out of carpet and need to put in a Parts Express order for carpet and binding posts. I'll take the pics I forgot to take next week when I wrap it up for the NCSQ meet. And by then I'll have the lid carpeted. NOW I CAN START TUNING. RTA work will begin on my "weekend". Oh, I ran the power and ground the way I did for the sub amp so I wouldn't have to go over 3 rca cables. Doubt I would have induced noise but why go through the bad part of town when you can easily go around it?

They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

3. Back To Top    #23
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Lookin good...can't wait to hear it

4. Back To Top    #24
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

I think I got the l/r eq about as close as it's gonna get for a 2-way in stock locations. RTA says it's close anyway. It's imaging fairly well from what I can tell. Need to do something about the tactile action going on in the floor. Going to try some neoprene I have here under the floor mat to see if that helps. I'm crossed at 70 and 2500 right now. Jury is out right now on the mid-tweeter cross point. Early tests showed the door woofers "barked" crossed at 3k and tests as of a few minutes ago shows the tweets might be a little strained crossed at 2500. They were happier at 3000. I'll try splitting the difference next time I'm out there to work on the tonality curve. 2500 is about double fs for the tweets and the drivers side door is nearly 90 off axis and passenger side door is nearly on axis. Same with tweets in sails but they were pretty close in response up top before any l/r eq was added. Maybe that diffuser lens serves more of a purpose than just making them look really really "fruity"?

Next thing to do will be to introduce a subwoofer into the mix. I still have my Arc 10 in the box that was in the Ram to throw in there. Then it will be on to playing with rears...rear speakers

5. Back To Top    #25
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    2015 Audi S4

Looking good Chris! I've got some tracks that need to be played in there!

6. Back To Top    #26
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Afghan Vet View Post
    Looking good Chris! I've got some tracks that need to be played in there!
    You got first crack at it Jason. Plan on being at the pre-meet as soon as you say we can be there since I'll be taking two days to get there. I'm not gonna count my chickens before they hatch but this is the best tune I've ever had. Your last meet was the turning point to greatness for me. Let's just hope I don't end up like Clay and pop a tweeter at the meet. Was trying to track down a "bite" in the sound and then realized the passenger side tweeter crossover was bypassed Don't think it got too much time on it like that, but still scary. It doesn't sound injured so maybe I dodged a bullet. I really do like these tweets for what they are.

7. Back To Top    #27
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

How did it sound ? Everything good ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    You got first crack at it Jason. Plan on being at the pre-meet as soon as you say we can be there since I'll be taking two days to get there. I'm not gonna count my chickens before they hatch but this is the best tune I've ever had. Your last meet was the turning point to greatness for me.
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

8. Back To Top    #28

I hate to suggest something here and be taken as antagonizing, but I would be a bit pleased to see at least a second layer of protection over those power cables like a nice heat shrink wrap, where the wire passes into the cab, but that's possibly moot, for now. I enjoy this build.

9. Back To Top    #29
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Quote Originally Posted by cajunner View Post
    I hate to suggest something here and be taken as antagonizing, but I would be a bit pleased to see at least a second layer of protection over those power cables like a nice heat shrink wrap, where the wire passes into the cab, but that's possibly moot, for now. I enjoy this build.
    They're completely protected because that seat never gets folded down. That's why I put the blocks where I did. And the insulation on the welding cable is tough as nails. I'll post more pics when I install the new 6ch amp. I can see where some things aren't making sense right now from the outside looking in.

10. Back To Top    #30
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

Do you have load resistors on your signal leads from the factory amp? If not, it will shut down channels because it thinks there's a problem.
    Also, have you looked into the Pac AmpPro stuff?