Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: '98 C5 build

1. Back To Top    #1

'98 C5 build

Picked this up after getting rear ended in my last car. The factory speakers were blown so it was time for an upgrade. Didn't want to add a ton of weight so I tried to keep it fairly simple.

The car,

Front speakers are B&C 8cxn51's, didn't do much deadening other than sealing the holes in the door.

Built a box for the amps out of 1/4" plywood with a JL TwK88, Focal FPD 6.900 and a Kenwood XR600-1 inside. The Kenwood may be replaced at some point in favor of the matching Focal mono amp and when that happens I'll clean up the wiring.

Then made an enclosure for a JL 12tw3

I may at some point rebuild the sub enclosure out of plywood instead of mdf to save a few more pounds and swap subs in favor of something with a little more output but otherwise I'm pretty happy with it as it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

Re: '98 C5 build

I like that you copied the angles from the speaker onto the mounting plate. Nice.
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

3. Back To Top    #3

So, I know most would be happy to get this kind of output from their front stage let alone a pair of coax's but let me tell you why this pisses me off, after all of the work and money spent on my el camino there's less than 1db difference between that and the much simpler setup in this car.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0307.JPG 
Views:	411 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	5869  

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Too apple and oranges type comparison , for me.

Sound pressure level is measured in decibels , but does not address tonality , imaging , spacing , heigth and width .

This car is not that car , I fail to see how a comparison can be made, prolly just me
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

5. Back To Top    #5

For me, output is high on the priority list as it's the one thing tuning can't really fix. I don't care how well tuned a set of conventional drivers is they just can't compare to high efficiency drivers as far as output is concerned and to me if a system can't reach realistic output levels then I don't care how well it does everything else. I've run the horns in several of my cars and the coax's in my last couple cars so I have a bit of experience with both. As far as imaging it's kind of a toss up, the horns can do pretty well but there's something to be said for the simplicity of a pair of point source drivers. Tonality wise out of the box the horns are unlistenable while with nothing more than T/A and level matching these are pretty decent. Overall I can't really think of anything that the horns do better that would make me choose them over these.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Volume , maybe , for horns . Tridiot has clear -n- loud mind's ( 4 of em ).!
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

I could easily believe it is door seals , fiberglass seems more suspect when thinking flexing ! My ears cannot disceern a 1 decibel difference.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Jim aka BigRed posted a pic years ago of him listenin to 143 dB's at CES in a clear walled box , like a telephone booth !

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Hic View Post
    Volume , maybe , for horns . Tridiot has clear -n- loud mind's ( 4 of em ).!
    The midrange in my other car is definitely the weak point, the horns themselves are capable of 130db+ but as it is now, both cars are louder than I can stand to listen to for more than a few seconds at a time.
    I could easily believe it is door seals , fiberglass seems more suspect when thinking flexing ! My ears cannot disceern a 1 decibel difference.
    I'm getting some pretty bad resonance with certain songs. I'm still trying to find a good way to fix it without doubling the weight of my doors.
    Jim aka BigRed posted a pic years ago of him listenin to 143 dB's at CES in a clear walled box , like a telephone booth !
    One of the local stereo shops used to have a room not much bigger than a phone booth with all of the walls covered in RF subs and amps, it was pretty impressive.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

Are those doors insanely deep or are those coaxes insanely shallow?