Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2006 A4 Avant Build.

1. Back To Top    #51
    Real Name
    Jose
    Vehicle
    VW Passat Wagon

Re: 2006 A4 Avant Build.

Loving the sub box.. And looks like everything is coming together for you..

2. Back To Top    #52
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Some updates coming soon, I recently installed a bass knob underneath the armrest in order to change the sub volume while driving. Also recently sold the Helix DSP to try out the MiniDSP C-DSP 8-12. The Helix is a great unit that I only had for a short time, but there are a couple things about the C-DSP 8-12 that made it appealing to me. One of these is being able to import EQ filters from REW. While entering values into the Helix is not a big deal, it is pretty time-consuming entering frequency, q values etc for multiple bands. I don't have a huge amount of free time, so being able to import those is pretty big for me.

The other thing is rear fill.... I have had some Alpine Type-R coax in the rear doors since back when I had an MS8, additionally, I have 2 spare amplifier channels on my PDX V9, so I figured why not hook them up and give it a try. If I don't like it I have not spent any money on the equipment as I already have it (actually, I think I need to buy 1 RCA cable) and the difference between selling the Helix and buying the C-DSP. So, now it's a whole new software package to learn and see if I can get this sorted.

I also need to look at the Nexus, I suspect it may be starting to fail on me. The battery used to charge around 4% in 15 minutes while driving. Lately it barely charges 1% in 30 minutes of driving, not a bad run for it though 3 and a half years in the car is unlikely what Google / Asus designed it for. If it does die, I may just try to find a 2013 Nexus to replace it with.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

3. Back To Top    #53
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

look'n forward to your assessment on the 8-12 & how you feel about transitioning to it's UI ...

4. Back To Top    #54
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Will keep you posted, I believe since I have ordered the 8-12 I can now download and play with the software so may do that this evening.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

5. Back To Top    #55
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

I played with the software the other day, as I also ordered my 8to12 Aero. It's very similar to the 6to8 (et al) that I'm familiar with.
    Richard Papasin suggested I check it out before I order it because some people don't like the way the EQ works and stuff.
    And frankly it was something I would never have thought of...

But it has 30-odd bands for the left side, same for the right and then separate eq for channels 11+12, instead of 30-odd bands for each channel.

There were some other little issues, but nothing that made me go "Whoa, that won't work for me."

Of course I owned a BitOne.1 for 8 years. lol

I had to download the software from the Italian site.

Jay

6. Back To Top    #56
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

I downloaded the software after I placed my order, I agree there is nothing in there that won't cause me any issues. It will take a little getting used to the differences, but that's par for the course. The software does not feel as polished to me as compared to the Helix though, or even the BitOne.1 software. There is nothing wrong with it as such, but the Helix software is so well laid out and easy to use, that the MiniDSP seems a little lacking.

Of course, once everything is set up then it does not really matter as long as it sounds good.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

7. Back To Top    #57
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

MiniDSP arrived yesterday, connected everything up (apart from rear speakers) and I have noise. A bunch of hissing noise. Mute the DSP and the noise goes away entirely. So, looks like I have some fun ahead of me trying to determine what is causing it. Fingers crossed it is something simple, I saw on DIYMA a few people have noise with the 6x8 but nothing on the 8x12.

I might also try to disassemble the remote, ideally, I want it beneath my armrest with just the buttons showing. But, the metal case it is housed in is slightly too large for it to fit. Worst comes to worst I may use the front ashtray, but I am hoping to avoid that.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

8. Back To Top    #58
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

So basically you plugged in the C-DSP 8-12 in place of the Helix DSP and now there is noise? Was there any wiring or other changes made with the swap?

9. Back To Top    #59
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Pretty much yep, no wiring changes at all. There was a very slight hiss with the Helix, but you had to really listen for it. This is loud enough I can hear it when standing at the trunk with the car doors open. Going to see if it changes with volume first and then maybe try a different ground. Kind of wish I could go try and figure it out now, work is quiet and the car is 20 feet from me!!
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

10. Back To Top    #60
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

Quote Originally Posted by naiku View Post
    Kind of wish I could go try and figure it out now, work is quiet and the car is 20 feet from me!!
    Do it! We won't tell