Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2006 A4 Avant Build.

1. Back To Top    #31
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Re: Ported Enclosure Help

Is that a PWD 10" ? The whole thing looks just like a suitcase to my eye !

Very well done , Ian !
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

2. Back To Top    #32
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

You are right, it is a PWD 254. So far I have only been able to listen to it firing upwards, hoping to relocate my amplifier and DSP between now and next weekend so I can start tuning it properly. Finished the floor a couple days ago, here it is without the port and woofer cut out:

And here is how it will look with the enclosure in place (pic before I added the carpet):

You can also see here why I needed to relocate the amp:

Annoyingly I messed up the hole for the handle a little, it is not quite centered and if you look closely (in person) you can see a little where it should have lined up with the carpet. But, at least when I glue it down, it is functional and I can lift out that first piece of the floor to easily access the spare tire. The only piece I have not yet figured out is how to mount the enclosure securely, I may end up taking the easy way and using some kind of straps on the factory tie downs. Going to see if I can find some matching leather straps or something.

Pretty poorly maintained and amusing fails of a build log here.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

3. Back To Top    #33
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

I'm digging that all over! Truly you get over the top points for uniqueness and creativity.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

4. Back To Top    #34
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Thank you.

So I have a question hoping someone can help answer. As I wrote above I need to secure the enclosure. The only thing I can think of is to get a pair of 2.5" bolts, put that inside the enclosure and then through the floor, finally adding a nut to tighten the enclosure securely to the floor.

My main concern is how do I seal those bolt holes and how do I stop the bolt turning inside the enclosure when either tightening it removing the nut.

Would a rubber washer on both sides of the enclosure along with some glue on the inside be enough to both seal and hold the bolt? When the bolt is in, it won't need to come out. Just need to be able to remove the nut and lift the enclosure out should I need to for any reason.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

5. Back To Top    #35
    Vehicle
    2016 Ford Escape SE & 2020 Nissan Rogue SV

You could get a large fender washer, drill 3 or 4 holes towards the outside of it, run the bolt through the center, weld the head of the bolt to the washer, and screw the washer down on the inside of the box. You could seal it with silicone.

6. Back To Top    #36
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

You could use t-nuts or hurricane nuts inside the enclosure and run the bolts up from underneath...or you could use rivnuts in the floor pan and bolt down thru the box.

7. Back To Top    #37
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

For concealment purposes , plus a helluva surprise to would be thief , Al's idea is the way to go !T-nuts in bottom of suitcase [bottom side] , silicone for a bathtub will seal holes.

I use T-nuts to hold speaker to wood, [ machined threads in nuts secured to enclosure FTW ]
    Last edited by Hic; 03-05-2017 at 09:45 AM.
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

8. Back To Top    #38
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

NO, put the t-nuts in from the top (inside the box) that way the bolt is pulling down against it and the wood.

...and don't worry about such a small air leak

9. Back To Top    #39
    Vehicle
    2016 Ford Escape SE & 2020 Nissan Rogue SV

Any air leak from mounting the enclosure should be close to nonexistent. The port would be the path of least resistance for air to escape.

10. Back To Top    #40
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Went with 4 x 5/8" t nuts, added a bit of glue to hold them in place. Realised after drilling the enclosure, that I should have drilled the floor and enclosure at the same time. Cue 10 minutes trying to find something to fit through the hole and put a mark on carpet. Once that was done it bolted down nicely. Pretty damn heavy and not going anywhere now, this before I even put the sub back in.

Now onto relocating amplifiers and sorting the wiring mess.
    Last edited by naiku; 03-05-2017 at 08:32 PM.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix