Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2006 A4 Avant Build.

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Re: Ported Enclosure Help

Ian , sorry about missing the rolloff on a sealed of 45hZ versus the lower rolloff of a ported. What is resonant frequency of your sub or fs ?
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Quote Originally Posted by chithead View Post
    This, and wrap the inside of the enclosure in that plaid fabric, to mimic the inside of a suitcase. Maybe even an airline tag glued in there too
    And stuff some folded undies and socks in there to prevent standing waves

3. Back To Top    #13
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by chithead View Post
    This, and wrap the inside of the enclosure in that plaid fabric, to mimic the inside of a suitcase. Maybe even an airline tag glued in there too
    Funny thing is I was already in contact with Glenn about making up some airline tags, but using car audio brands as the destination, that sort of thing. A plexi top would be pretty cool for the enclosure, especially as the sub has a big chrome magnet on it. Might have to look into that a bit, but with the way the suitcase is going to be cut I don't know how easily it will open. Another option I keep coming back to is picking up a second smaller suitcase and mounting it on top of the first one. This second case would then house the amps and DSP which could be opened. I suspect that is all going to be well outside of my skill level though.

So, I have a question.... how do I calculate a slot port? I have been using WinISD, but could only see the options in there for round or square ports.

Edit: Figured out WinISD, assuming a port tuning frequency of 25Hz and me not looking at things incorrectly. Assuming my enclosure is going to be 8" tall, if I enter a slot of 2" width it needs to be 41.4" long with a vent mach of 0.10. That might just about fit in the enclosure itself, the dimensions of the suitcase I have are 25x20x8. Now I plan to cut the this at an angle, but hopefully even after that and using 1/2" thick wood for the enclosure, I can if I am lucky fit the slot port within the enclosure.

Quote Originally Posted by Hic View Post
    Ian , sorry about missing the rolloff on a sealed of 45hZ versus the lower rolloff of a ported. What is resonant frequency of your sub or fs ?
    28Hz
    Last edited by naiku; 01-31-2017 at 01:44 PM.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Nice fs
    Last edited by Hic; 01-31-2017 at 06:51 PM.
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

5. Back To Top    #15
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Ian,
    Click on square and then you should be able to select mm/inches, use 1 inch smaller on heigth [ 1/2 inch from either side or top and bottom ] then the other option would be to figure the space covered by 4" x 4" = 16" and 2" x 8" = 16 / 1" x 16" =16 or substitute different measurements that equal the size of square.

1/2" may need bracing to eliminate flexing or loss of output , try to keep vent mach low or green color -vs- red color or high vent mach number.
    If the box or enclosure flexes under power you lose output.

6. Back To Top    #16
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Going with 3/4" I entered a vent diameter of 2" x 6.5" (height) which gives me a length of 38 and a green vent mach of 0.12. Does that sound about right? So the slot would be 2" wide, the height of the box and 38" long

Wish the weather would warm up, I want to get started on this thing!!
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Ian, that sounds great ! You will want to subtract port from internal gross volume as if it is a solid board/and displacement of sub , ported boxes are very particular , must be more perfect than sealed enclosures. A lil stuffing works too

8. Back To Top    #18
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

OK, getting somewhere. I think the port works out at about 0.1cf so not much displacement, subwoofer displacement of 0.06cf. Assuming my dimensions are correct that gives me 1.45cf of total volume or 1.29cf with displacement. Plugging that into WinISD does not change too much so hopefully everything will work out.

Next step is going to be cutting the suitcase and figuring out how much wood I need to buy.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

9. Back To Top    #19
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

I thought you were going to put the port outside, under the panel. If you did it that way, it wouldn't have to be subtracted from the enclosure volume.

10. Back To Top    #20
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    I thought you were going to put the port outside, under the panel. If you did it that way, it wouldn't have to be subtracted from the enclosure volume.
    I may still go that route, but I think that I would need to put some of it inside and some outside of the enclosure. I need to measure from the base of the seat back to the about 3-4" ahead of the trunk lip, as well as how much width I have to the side. I want to be able to retain easy access to the spare wheel and tool kit should I need to use them. In the picture I posted the tool kit and jack are removed, but they are located either side of the spare wheel.

I suppose I could go with 2 ports and have them firing across the vehicle rather than length ways. That should allow me to have them both outside and retain maximum enclosure volume.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix